SRA International

SRA International Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

SRA International CEO William L. Ballhaus

William L. Ballhaus

Pros:
  • "work / life balance, fexability, fellow employees support"
    in 33 reviews
  • "good benefits , although every year they are becoming less and less"
    in 28 reviews
Cons:
  • "In short, the upper management doesn't seem to recognize there are people working for them"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Not quallifying for 50 Best Companies to Work For is justified"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Cutbacks everywhere

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsSRA provides a very relaxed atmosphere and places a focus on work-life balance. Coworkers are smart, driven, and easy to get along with. Hours and culture vary widely based on your client and business unit within SRA - I was part of the management consulting workforce, and had a good experience for the most part.

ConsSalaries are stagnant and there are few opportunities for advancement. Repeated shake-ups at the top lead to murky strategy and subsequent execution. Win rates are low and core business is eroding, yet leadership continues to make severe cuts to the business development workforce. The company is also extremely top heavy and almost refuses to recruit consultants with less than 2 years of experience, so leverage and rate structures continue to be problematic both internally (no one gets a raise) and externally (losing proposals because SRA is too expensive).

As a result, staff morale was at an all-time low when I left. I hear it has only continued to go downhill since then, due to additional contract losses. The company is shrinking at a fast pace - at the end of your contract you will find that it's like a game of musical chairs with fierce competition internally for the same position. If you're a top performer, you'll have no problem finding your next project, but salary increases, even when taking a more senior position, are nonexistent. As such, most of the top talent has already left or is actively looking for an exit strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a clear win strategy, place more focus on the quality of proposals instead of slapping them together, and find ways to make employees feel appreciated.

What will they take away next?

Arlington, VA

ProsHaving a job makes me not homeless. They give you a little money towards commuting expenses, until they take that away.

ConsIncompetent management at contracted client locations. They brought the cap down on paid time off, they've taken away some paid holidays, the new health plans are inferior and more expensive than years past, no raises or raises that don't even keep up with inflation, they extended the amount of time you have to work at the company to get a few extra days paid time off, they went from matching 401k every paycheck to once a year, and you have to be an employee on the last day of the year to get it. They also seem to be winning new contracts pretty regularly, yet are doing absolutely nothing to reinstate any of the benefits that they've taken away over the past few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone involved in slashing employee benefits should take a hefty paycut as well. You should also care about employee morale, as it's currently abysmal. And you need to do a much better job of hiring and policing (and firing) your program managers and other management at client sites because most of them that just have business experience (and sometimes not even that) and no technical experience are driving contracts and morale into the ground.

I worked for SRA for 3 years and loved it!

Cyber Security Analyst (Former Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsSRA provided (at least in my Section) an abundance of Career Development and training programs for the employee
    Additionally , they had a super health and wellness incentive programs to ensure that employees were getting exercise and eating healthy
    Salary compensation seemed to be a bit above average and fair
    Ethics and company values were excellent and the tagline and slogan off "Honesty and Service" was for the most part put into practice.

ConsThe company seemed to be a bit top heavy with management
    When the company lost some contracts , placement and coverage was very scarce , facilitating major layoffs- I think maybe that could not have been helped....

Advice to Senior ManagementTrim the fat of upper management to keep more people employed .

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work!

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsCorporate culture, benefits, training opportunities

Consnone so far, have not been working long enough

Advice to Senior Managementnone so far

Good company, good people

Tech Lead/Director III, Principal (Former Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsOpen and inviting culture across the company, program and project teams. People always willing to help or support where they can contribute. It was a great experience. Company is respected among it's peers in the industry. Many people who leave return in the future.

ConsNo glaring cons. Similar to other large systems integrators in the federal market, turbulence of of available positions to move to next project as contracts are won and lost.

I worked hard for them for 8 years and was profitable and they laid me off so they could save money on the office.

Senior Program Manager (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe People. The project employees are some of the best I have ever worked with. When SRA was private and before 3 different CEOs they really took care of the people and therefore we had the greatest people in the industry.

ConsManagement is about $$ not people. The company went from being a team to being all about the management. Senior Management refused to listen to local management and tied all opportunities up in committee for months. They lost the ability to be agile as it was local managers responsibility to spend an enormous amount of time making senior managers feel comfortable with every decision. Refused to invest in individual markets based on local assessment instead relying on impacts to east coast business

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the experts in the field. The world does not revolve around Virginia. You shutdown a multi-million dollar pipeline based on a couple of senior managers opinions. You have lost the ability to adapt to real time environments and the agility to trust your junior management on strategic decisions.

Good place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsThe company values work ethic, initiative, and responsibility. If you prove your value as a worker, in general, your boss will be willing to give you additional responsibilities - this is how you move up. The benefits here, such as Health, Vision, and Dental, are elective but much better than the alternative (ACA marketplace). In my experience I've never been asked to do more than the 40-hour workweek as a salaried employee, although voluntarily doing so reflects well on your work ethic.

ConsThe benefits have been cut to some degree recently, following the company's acquisition by a private equity firm. I also have a suspicion the company might be downsizing its non-salaried workforce. I wouldn't say the work I do is personally fulfilling, but it *is* a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't cut vacation hours anymore - in fact, you might find that adding more days of leave helps us be "wickedly efficient" by reducing employee burnout. It makes me feel awful when I come into work burnt out, because I want to perform better.

Not Employee or Client Friendly

Washington, DC

ProsThe Wellness Incentives and pretty decent healthcare insurance. But still not enough to make up for how horrible the company has become.

ConsAll of the benefits keep getting cut: 401K, holidays, vacation, compensation, and parking. Telecommuters do not get all of the equipment they need. Clients are basically given the bait and switch once a proposal is won. Management is focusing so much on profit and GC that they don't see how unhappy the employees and clients are.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheap and ineffective does not make a good combination for the future of the company. Take the hint that we have not won 80% of the work we are bidding.

In the middle

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe San Diego offic and it's members were engaged in significant government projects.

ConsLeadership was not all that I expected and many obsticles made it difficult to work.

Just an ok place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome decent opportunties if you know the right leaders and can get plugged in. Typical big company pros...lots of projects to migrate too if you get bored.

ConsVery easy to get lost in the crowd. Typically government contractor SETA work; not very rewarding or interesting

Advice to Senior ManagementDispense with the good old boys club mentality. Get some new blood up there!

Worked for SRA International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SRA International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SRA International CEO William L. Ballhaus. All 392 reviews posted anonymously by SRA International employees.