SRA International

SRA International Reviews in Fairfax, VA

Updated Jul 11, 2014

SRA International CEO William L. Ballhaus

William L. Ballhaus

Pros
  • work / life balance, fexability, fellow employees support(in 34 reviews)

• good benefits , although every year they are becoming less and less(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • In short, the upper management doesn't seem to recognize there are people working for them(in 14 reviews)

• Not quallifying for 50 Best Companies to Work For is justified(in 7 reviews)

55 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

SRA was an excellent place to work with very good benefits.

Tech Lead/Director III, Principal (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsBenefits and salary were very competitive with good training opportunities.

ConsI would still be working there if the contract had not run out.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpportunities for folks with 20+ years of TS SCI experience were not pursued internally unless hired into those positions

Been steadily going downhill for years

Senior (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsExtremely flexible telecommuting policy. Anual raises. Some training opportunities not available elsewhere. They pay for any certification that you pass (though I would not be surprised if that benefit comes to an end).

ConsGetting promoted is like pulling teeth. Even when you do, your salary barely moves. Moving to another position in the company with more responsibility does not raise salary either. They eliminated "princple." Basically impossible to get more money no matter what you do. 401k slashed, medical slashed, holidays, slashed, vacation slashed! What's next?

Advice to Senior ManagementJust sell already! You can't squeeze blood from a stone.

A company in a death spiral

Project Manager (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsA job at SRA is better than being unemployed.

ConsBeing sold to Providence Equity was the worst thing that could have happened to SRA employees. Many other reviews tell the story about cut benefits, so there's no need to repeat those. The capability centers are a joke. Their leaders are new to the company, have no idea about who has what skills and where they are located in the company. They have no idea about past performance and have no idea who does know. Dissolving the horizontal specialty practices has been a disaster. The specialty practices used to manage their staffs and projects managers could go to practice management for help staffing surge or part-time requirements. Now, project managers can't staff or deliver surge, short or part-time projects.

Overhead no longer exists. You can't even get $1,000 for tools or training. SRA is hemorrhaging experienced staff and managers. Bill Ballhaus has surrounded himself with a bunch of sycophants who are out of touch with their teams and reality. The company has lost recompetes and hasn't won much in the way of new business. While management boasts about the IDIQ or BPA contract wins, the company has won few, if any, task orders under those IDIQs or BPAs. SRA recently received a stop work order on a large (100+ staff) contract because of delivery issues.

Long term employees at all level are demoralized. While the company publishes the percentage of voluntary terminations (one or two percent above competitors), they are afraid to publish the number of people who are laid-off.

The company used to pride itself on hiring people for a career, not a contract. Now it's a lousy body shop. It's really upsetting to see what has happened to a once great company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company as quickly as possible since Humpty Dumpty can't be put back together. Quit filling your pockets with bonuses while you cut benefits and give miniscule raises. Stop telling lies to employees by saying that what you're doing to the employees is happening at all of your competitors.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

All Talk and No Action

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsThere are many good people still working for SRA, but not in senior leadership has to go. They are pompous and arrogant and too much in love with themselves.

ConsCompany President Bill Ballhaus does lots of talking, but has no history of success. He has led BEA Systems, then Dyncorp and both companies suffered financially under his leadership. No growth and many jobs lost.

The motto "Honesty and Service" is a joke. Dishonesty permeates throughout SRA leadership.

Planning on leaving soon ... cant take it anymore

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace Bill Ballhaus and the entire top-level SRA leadership

Over Its Head

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsSRA was a leader with a recognizable name in the federal government systems integrator space. It still has the name recognition so current employees can use that in pursuing their next opportunity.

ConsThe company's acquisition by a venture capital firm (Provident Equity Partners) has compelled executive leadership to compromise the honest and integrity that once made the company great. The company's leave plan has been reduced significantly. Leave have been taken away from the more tenured employees. Severance plan was reduced significantly. Internal Mobility is ineffective. There has been a 3 year drought in winning large proposals and a trend in losing major contracts re-competes. There is an urgency to meet investors revenue goals that has placed pressure on employees at the project level as everyone is being asked to do more with less. This environment is a pressure cooker with little employee engagement or incentive beyond a paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management has communicated the state of the company and its vision however on the ground at the project level the message is we've reduced or have taken away benefits, but it's this way with our competitors too so work hard and be glad in this economy you still have a job. There has to be a better message to get the buy in from employees to perform at a higher level.

Technically strong company with nice people, but lacking some in company culture.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsOne of the best companys in the region, tecnically strong employees, tuition reinbursement, stable

Consmore team building, volunteer activities. very bad with project transtion.

Advice to Senior Managementhigh more young employees

Current CEO and management has accelerated the company's decline

Technical Lead (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsFlex schedule on some projects.

ConsLots of over compensated, incompetent management layers contributing to cost structure. Management indulges in PR show and long winding emails from time to time to prop up sagging morale of the workforce. HR is the worst run of all departments. Management keeps chipping away dwindling employee benefits to maintain bottom-line versus growing the business. Benefits are rebranded time to time to make it appear like they are providing new and additional benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to bring in corporate efficiency consultants to fix management structure and costs. Hire successful CEO and COOs with proven track record in turning around a declining company to an engine of growth.

SRA's on a downward spiral

Senior Member of the Professional Staff (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsNot that many any more, but their 401K match is decent, though I'm sure that's going to be going away soon too.

ConsSRA used to be a great place to work, but at some point they just stopped caring about the employees and it shows. You really don't need to look any further then the fact that they've lost many contracts, and have lost or laid off close to 2000 people in the last two years. Now if this was a 100000 person company, that wouldn't be that much, however for a company that only had 8000 people at it's largest that's 25% of the workforce.

Recently they've stripped people's PTO from 5 weeks (if you had over 7 years of service) to 4, and put a cap on the carry-over balance. Needless to say, the morale here stinks and the Big Wigs will say that everyone's having to make sacrifices to make us competitive again, but I'm pretty sure their bonuses aren't be sacrificed. At some point, when SRA is slightly in the green again, Providence Equity Partners (the equity firm that bought SRA 2+ years ago) is going to sell us to the highest bidder, and that will be that.

The worst part about everything is that Corporate's communication has been horrible with all of these effective changes. We were informed about the PTO change about 2 weeks before it went into effect, and when they removed all floating holidays it was stated in a bullet in one of the mass emails they send out.

If you are brought on, don't plan on furthering your career much. Management makes a lot of unfulfilled promises on career development, training, pay increases, bonuses, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring about the employees again. After all, they are the one's that are directly billable to the government that is providing your bonuses.

Ever since Providence Equity bought us, the company has been killing us with death by a thousand cuts

Project Manager (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsI like the people I work with

ConsThe company says it strives to be a "best place to work" but all of the HR actions they are taking proves otherwise. We are clearly driven by the bottom line, screw the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith all the employees having to give up old time benefits, like the nice health care plan, the on-site nurses, and the formerly industry-standard PTO plan, why don't you chip in some of your excessive bonuses so you can feel the pain like the rest of the staff? You preach Honesty & Service, but why don't you live up to? Talk is cheap, much like your actions.

poor management; everyone for themselves; talented people treated negatively; politicians encouraged; work life balance

Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

Prosfor a short contract, say 6 mos. company is bearable.

Consno future; what you are hired for you will be doing the rest of the time there; more or less a body shop with a lot of games going on; a lot of two faced management at line level; very poor communication by management; unprofessional behavior ignored;

Advice to Senior Managementlearn how to manage; due something about poor line management and their incompetence; mushroom theory of management practiced; task management is non-existent.

Worked for SRA International? Contribute to the Community!