SRA International Reviews

Reset
2.0
SRA International CEO William L. Ballhaus
William L. Ballhaus

Pros
  • SRA has a good work/life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Competitive salary, good benefits (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management will stiff you out of a raise just to keep within their budgets (in 18 reviews)

• SRA used to have a reputation as one of THE companies to work for (in 8 reviews)

1. Incompetent and Low Talent

Former Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They were trying to create new programs and processes to help employees in their day to day administrative and company tasks. Unfortunately...

Cons

Lack of top talent contributed to a complete mess. All valuable employees with an ounce of actual intelligence are running from the company in droves, leaving only incompetence. It's massively unorganized, based completely on some convoluted hierarchy, and you can't really get ahead in the company unless you are sucking up to some higher up. Unstable with cuts to pay and benefits.

Advice to Management

We don't need political figures--stop spouting complete lies and actually do something.

2. Customer Service Representative III

Current Employee - Contractor in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Contractor in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am still a new employee. I cant answer this question

Cons

I really don't wish to explain my answer at this time.

Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Winning work in some pockets. Nursing and wellness team is nice perk and best part of the company-although see changes even there over past few years that have been unfortunate

Cons

Where do I begin. Training acts like they have all the answers but not very impressive and more of a canned approach. Revolving door with recruiting and retaining employees, "pet management programs" spend a lot of leadership time to feel good about what they are doing. Time would be better spent of mentoring/ coaching employees. Benefits abysmal. It's all about cutting costs .

Advice to Management

They wont't listen. It's all about saving money. Would say genuinely care about employees, but that thought is in conflict with executive vision.

Bad experience

Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the most part, the people are nice. I still have friends that work there

Cons

Very cutthroat. Everyone is out for themselves

The Titanic and the Costa Concordia.

Current Employee - Vice President in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good mission driven work and the company truly values its clients.

Cons

Top Management shows no clear direction for the company, benefits are being cut, jobs being lost and our strategy for growth is boxes, sqaures, triangles and circles on a chart with no clear direction as to how we sustain the business, win and grow. This place is not what it used to be and will never be the same as long as the current regime is running things.

Advice to Management

I can't offer any. Just waiting to see when/if the company will be sold and to whom and at what cost. The management is in this for themselves. Large payouts to the CEO who clearly had no experience leading and growing a company like the great brand SRA used to be. Watching and waiting. The best leadership potential for this company is somewhere else.

Use to be a great company, but is definitely a sinking ship

Former Employee - Grunt in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Grunt in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The grunt workers who have been with SRA since the beginning. Normal people, that are close to retirement that treat you well and with respect.

Cons

Management is lousy, benefits are being cut, you are a number and a paycheck for the company, there hasn't been anything good to say about SRA for awhile.

Advice to Management

Management knows they can't do anything so why bother. They're crossing their fingers that they don't get cut as well. (And a bunch of them have been cut already)

8. A downward trend

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SRA provides somewhat decent benefits, though they have recently reduced their vacation and other fringe benefits significantly in order to try and keep the company afloat.

Cons

SRA has significant trouble with middle management executing the wishes of leadership and passing up concerns with employees. SRA consistently pays lower salaries and has recently reduced benefits significantly. Additionally, they are very focused on their policies and procedures, and are not flexible at all to extenuating circumstances that may not fit nicely within their bounds. Overall, the company has a very narrow mindset and can't think outside the box on any topic, even simple concepts like flex time or floating a holiday that an employee may need to work for a customer.

Advice to Management

SRA significantly needs to shift its focus culturally to be an agile, flexible company that can respond to the needs of both its customers and employees. It needs to drop the large teams that produce internal reviews, internal training plans, etc. and instead focus on growing their business and developing high quality, happy employees who directly provide revenue to the company.

Poor HR Team

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I get a paycheck. If you are lucky you support a good team with professional managers.

Cons

The HR team reorganized in 2012 and 2013. The HR leaders use this opportunity to promote and keep employees they personally like. For both reorg, HRBPs (including new hires who are 2 months in the company) were asked to apply and interview if they are interested in staying. This left a bad taste and I'm looking to leave soon as I find another opportunity. I'm concerned applying for my job will be an annual event and if I become unpopular with the HR managers, I'm out.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees and stop the backstabbing. There's a reason HR has high turnover at the manager and employee level.

Over Its Head

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

SRA was a leader with a recognizable name in the federal government systems integrator space. It still has the name recognition so current employees can use that in pursuing their next opportunity.

Cons

The company's acquisition by a venture capital firm (Provident Equity Partners) has compelled executive leadership to compromise the honest and integrity that once made the company great. The company's leave plan has been reduced significantly. Leave have been taken away from the more tenured employees. Severance plan was reduced significantly. Internal Mobility is ineffective. There has been a 3 year drought in winning large proposals and a trend in losing major contracts re-competes. There is an urgency to meet investors revenue goals that has placed pressure on employees at the project level as everyone is being asked to do more with less. This environment is a pressure cooker with little employee engagement or incentive beyond a paycheck.

Advice to Management

Upper management has communicated the state of the company and its vision however on the ground at the project level the message is we've reduced or have taken away benefits, but it's this way with our competitors too so work hard and be glad in this economy you still have a job. There has to be a better message to get the buy in from employees to perform at a higher level.

Ever since Providence Equity bought us, the company has been killing us with death by a thousand cuts

Current Employee - Project Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I like the people I work with

Cons

The company says it strives to be a "best place to work" but all of the HR actions they are taking proves otherwise. We are clearly driven by the bottom line, screw the employees.

Advice to Management

With all the employees having to give up old time benefits, like the nice health care plan, the on-site nurses, and the formerly industry-standard PTO plan, why don't you chip in some of your excessive bonuses so you can feel the pain like the rest of the staff? You preach Honesty & Service, but why don't you live up to? Talk is cheap, much like your actions.

RSS Feed </> Embed