SRA International

SRA International Reviews in Fairfax, VA

Updated Jul 11, 2014

SRA International CEO William L. Ballhaus

William L. Ballhaus

Pros
  • work / life balance, fexability, fellow employees support (in 34 reviews)

• good benefits , although every year they are becoming less and less (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • In short, the upper management doesn't seem to recognize there are people working for them (in 14 reviews)

• Not quallifying for 50 Best Companies to Work For is justified (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights
55 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work for Engineers and technical managers.

Technical Director III (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsDecent culture - people treated fairly.
    Decent salaries and incentives.

ConsHigh turnover in executive management causes some loss of focus.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the engineers be engineers but keep them away from business development and marketing.

Good company

Project Manager (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsStill stands on the ethics of honesty and service. Takes care of its employees and has been transparent about its standing since gone private.

ConsSeems like its losing its charm and trying hard in this economic climate to maintain profit.

Culture of collaboration has been lost.

Human Resources Administration (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsDecent (not top-line) benefits
    Company very client-focused
    Recently there is more focus on building business

Cons"Honesty and Service" logo needs to be just "Service". Honesty and open communications with upper management is no longer valued, at least in HR.
    Preferential treatment regardless of performance.
    Culture of collaboration has been lost.

Advice to Senior ManagementSRA used to have a reputation for dealing fairly with its employees. Due to contract losses, pay reductions on recompetes are becoming more commonplace. Even if the recompete is won, staff are leaving for other jobs to regain their prior salaries. On the administrative side, staff reductions plus increased workloads are putting inordinate pressure on remaining staff to get work done. We are losing good people as a result. Don't have the answer, just know it's no longer an enjoyable work atmosphere.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good company with opportunity, some shortcomings.

Program Manager (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsOpportunity for advancement, honesty and service, concern for employees

ConsSome non-productive politics, bureaucracy, lack of focus

Great People, Good Paymaster

Senior Member of the Professional Staff (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsIntellectual Minds working together and creating a positive atmosphere
    Leads and Managers are willing to help you to put you on fast track

ConsHR needs to be quick post offer letter

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing the good work!

Started out good but went downhill near the end

Senior Member of the Professional Staff (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsReally liked the company, culture and benefits the first few years.

ConsStarted going downhill the last 2-3 years and the opportunities began drying up. Company does not care how long you have been there - when the contract you are on is over, you need to "interview" again within the company for a different project and they may or may not select you, and even if they do, the new contract may not afford to pay you. I have seen this happen to several people and cannot believe that SRA would not make up the difference in pay.

It's also very difficult to switch projects within the company. So be sure that you get into the right project to begin with.

Can be very bureaucratic and may involve lots of paperwork to do the simplest of things.

My ratings is for the current time, not when I started working there. When I started out, I would rate it 4-5 stars.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to reward loyal employees that have contributed to the company for many years instead of pushing them out when the new contracts cannot afford them.

SRA is a shadow of what it was in the 1990's

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsStill some hardcore SRA'ers left in the company that motivate the younger generations

ConsLimited career paths - remaining billable is the only option and that can be difficult without any bench time betweenprojects

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp middle management to understand the difference between business capture and project execution

Future Employees Beware

Technical Lead (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsDecent benefits package overall and multiple work locations

ConsVacation accruals are low for all incoming new hires, regardless of years of experience

Due to short staffing at all levels, be prepared to give up your nights and weekends at a moments notice to make internal or external clients happy - your career will suffer at SRA if you dont
    As such, employees are treated as if it is their privledge to work at SRA - there is a reason they fell off the list of the Best Companies to work for about five years ago.

Even though SRA only has about 6000 employees, the red tape to get decisions made takes as long as it would if they were a 60,000 employee company. So many people have to give their opinion on even minute policy or day to day operations in an effort to not hurt feelings and because there are no clear procedures for decision authority that SRA cannot keep up with the work load demanded by internal and external clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy current role is in senior management. My advice would be to get rid of the legacy leaders (functional, executive, and client facing) who are stuck in a mental state of "this is how we have always done it" which is in conflict with the new folks coming in trying to establish best practices. SRA had long operated as four seperate divisions and the leaders of these divisions have no interest in working together or seeing the forest for the trees when is coming to the greater good of the company and hence large scale positive change is severly delayed at SRA.

Internal resources for manager to be managers is also severly lacking - no formal training or integration into management role, no online self-service to manage employee performance and salaries, no career development resources to coach subordinates, no time or emphasis on looking out for employees best interests or their work life balance.

Turning the Corner

Senior Principal (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsCompany seems to be turning the corner. Revenues seem a bit down, but the new CEO seems to be "pulling all the levers" to get the company back to it's hay day of high revenues, explosive growth and high morale.

ConsSame management team with some reworks. Upper Management seems to be into theatrics and fluff and not enough substance. We have had multiple rif's, forced layoffs, early retirements and the upper management team seems to be unscathed.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop and train staff.

a great place to get placed on a project, but not to make a career

Technical Director III (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsHighly ethical management with solid reputation (historically) and generally a very healthy respect for work/life balance; career advancement for individuals getting involved at tough projects and customer sites; will not burn bridges with customers and partners, and seemingly has an open door policy where anyone can leave and go to any competitor at any time.

ConsOver-emphasis on projects vs domain areas, making it tough to recruit and retain top talent; many long time veterans there are either leaving because it has changed, or should have been fired but cling as a result of politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace a greater emphasis on career paths and internal mobility.

Worked for SRA International? Contribute to the Community!