SRA International Reviews in Fairfax, VA

Updated September 17, 2014
2.7

SRA International CEO William L. Ballhaus
William L. Ballhaus

Pros
  • work / life balance, fexability, fellow employees support (in 34 reviews)

• good benefits , although every year they are becoming less and less (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • In short, the upper management doesn't seem to recognize there are people working for them (in 14 reviews)

• Not quallifying for 50 Best Companies to Work For is justified (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

58 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

SRA's on a downward spiral

Current Employee - Senior Member of the Professional Staff  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Member of the Professional Staff in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Not that many any more, but their 401K match is decent, though I'm sure that's going to be going away soon too.

Cons

SRA used to be a great place to work, but at some point they just stopped caring about the employees and it shows. You really don't need to look any further then the fact that they've lost many contracts, and have lost or laid off close to 2000 people in the last two years. Now if this was a 100000 person company, that wouldn't be that much, however for a company that only had 8000 people at it's largest that's 25% of the workforce.

Recently they've stripped people's PTO from 5 weeks (if you had over 7 years of service) to 4, and put a cap on the carry-over balance. Needless to say, the morale here stinks and the Big Wigs will say that everyone's having to make sacrifices to make us competitive again, but I'm pretty sure their bonuses aren't be sacrificed. At some point, when SRA is slightly in the green again, Providence Equity Partners (the equity firm that bought SRA 2+ years ago) is going to sell us to the highest bidder, and that will be that.

The worst part about everything is that Corporate's communication has been horrible with all of these effective changes. We were informed about the PTO change about 2 weeks before it went into effect, and when they removed all floating holidays it was stated in a bullet in one of the mass emails they send out.

If you are brought on, don't plan on furthering your career much. Management makes a lot of unfulfilled promises on career development, training, pay increases, bonuses, etc.

Start caring about the employees again. After all, they are the one's that are directly billable to the government that is providing your bonuses.

Ever since Providence Equity bought us, the company has been killing us with death by a thousand cuts

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I like the people I work with

Cons

The company says it strives to be a "best place to work" but all of the HR actions they are taking proves otherwise. We are clearly driven by the bottom line, screw the employees.

With all the employees having to give up old time benefits, like the nice health care plan, the on-site nurses, and the formerly industry-standard PTO plan, why don't you chip in some of your excessive bonuses so you can feel the pain like the rest of the staff? You preach Honesty & Service, but why don't you live up to? Talk is cheap, much like your actions.

Great place to work for Engineers and technical managers.

Former Employee - Technical Director III  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Director III in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent culture - people treated fairly.
    Decent salaries and incentives.

Cons

High turnover in executive management causes some loss of focus.

Let the engineers be engineers but keep them away from business development and marketing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

poor management; everyone for themselves; talented people treated negatively; politicians encouraged; work life balance

Former Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time for more than a year

Pros

for a short contract, say 6 mos. company is bearable.

Cons

no future; what you are hired for you will be doing the rest of the time there; more or less a body shop with a lot of games going on; a lot of two faced management at line level; very poor communication by management; unprofessional behavior ignored;

learn how to manage; due something about poor line management and their incompetence; mushroom theory of management practiced; task management is non-existent.

Good company

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Still stands on the ethics of honesty and service. Takes care of its employees and has been transparent about its standing since gone private.

Cons

Seems like its losing its charm and trying hard in this economic climate to maintain profit.

Culture of collaboration has been lost.

Current Employee - Human Resources Administration  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Administration in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent (not top-line) benefits
    Company very client-focused
    Recently there is more focus on building business

Cons

"Honesty and Service" logo needs to be just "Service". Honesty and open communications with upper management is no longer valued, at least in HR.
    Preferential treatment regardless of performance.
    Culture of collaboration has been lost.

SRA used to have a reputation for dealing fairly with its employees. Due to contract losses, pay reductions on recompetes are becoming more commonplace. Even if the recompete is won, staff are leaving for other jobs to regain their prior salaries. On the administrative side, staff reductions plus increased workloads are putting inordinate pressure on remaining staff to get work done. We are losing good people as a result. Don't have the answer, just know it's no longer an enjoyable work atmosphere.

Very good company with opportunity, some shortcomings.

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunity for advancement, honesty and service, concern for employees

Cons

Some non-productive politics, bureaucracy, lack of focus

Great People, Good Paymaster

Current Employee - Senior Member of the Professional Staff  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Member of the Professional Staff in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Intellectual Minds working together and creating a positive atmosphere
    Leads and Managers are willing to help you to put you on fast track

Cons

HR needs to be quick post offer letter

Keep doing the good work!

Started out good but went downhill near the end

Former Employee - Senior Member of the Professional Staff  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Member of the Professional Staff in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Really liked the company, culture and benefits the first few years.

Cons

Started going downhill the last 2-3 years and the opportunities began drying up. Company does not care how long you have been there - when the contract you are on is over, you need to "interview" again within the company for a different project and they may or may not select you, and even if they do, the new contract may not afford to pay you. I have seen this happen to several people and cannot believe that SRA would not make up the difference in pay.

It's also very difficult to switch projects within the company. So be sure that you get into the right project to begin with.

Can be very bureaucratic and may involve lots of paperwork to do the simplest of things.

My ratings is for the current time, not when I started working there. When I started out, I would rate it 4-5 stars.

Need to reward loyal employees that have contributed to the company for many years instead of pushing them out when the new contracts cannot afford them.

Future Employees Beware

Current Employee - Technical Lead  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent benefits package overall and multiple work locations

Cons

Vacation accruals are low for all incoming new hires, regardless of years of experience

Due to short staffing at all levels, be prepared to give up your nights and weekends at a moments notice to make internal or external clients happy - your career will suffer at SRA if you dont
    As such, employees are treated as if it is their privledge to work at SRA - there is a reason they fell off the list of the Best Companies to work for about five years ago.

Even though SRA only has about 6000 employees, the red tape to get decisions made takes as long as it would if they were a 60,000 employee company. So many people have to give their opinion on even minute policy or day to day operations in an effort to not hurt feelings and because there are no clear procedures for decision authority that SRA cannot keep up with the work load demanded by internal and external clients.

My current role is in senior management. My advice would be to get rid of the legacy leaders (functional, executive, and client facing) who are stuck in a mental state of "this is how we have always done it" which is in conflict with the new folks coming in trying to establish best practices. SRA had long operated as four seperate divisions and the leaders of these divisions have no interest in working together or seeing the forest for the trees when is coming to the greater good of the company and hence large scale positive change is severly delayed at SRA.

Internal resources for manager to be managers is also severly lacking - no formal training or integration into management role, no online self-service to manage employee performance and salaries, no career development resources to coach subordinates, no time or emphasis on looking out for employees best interests or their work life balance.

Worked for SRA International? Contribute to the Community!