SRA International Reviews in Fairfax, VA

Updated October 10, 2014
2.8

SRA International CEO William L. Ballhaus
William L. Ballhaus

Pros
  • SRA provides a very relaxed atmosphere and places a focus on work-life balance (in 40 reviews)

• They tend to be a company that does value honesty and service (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant realignment of upper management in order to make company more competitive (in 17 reviews)

• Company no longer keeps you around to find a spot if your contract ends (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

61 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great People, Good Paymaster

Current Employee - Senior Member of the Professional Staff in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Member of the Professional Staff in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Intellectual Minds working together and creating a positive atmosphere
    Leads and Managers are willing to help you to put you on fast track

Cons

HR needs to be quick post offer letter

Keep doing the good work!

Started out good but went downhill near the end

Former Employee - Senior Member of the Professional Staff in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Member of the Professional Staff in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Really liked the company, culture and benefits the first few years.

Cons

Started going downhill the last 2-3 years and the opportunities began drying up. Company does not care how long you have been there - when the contract you are on is over, you need to "interview" again within the company for a different project and they may or may not select you, and even if they do, the new contract may not afford to pay you. I have seen this happen to several people and cannot believe that SRA would not make up the difference in pay.

It's also very difficult to switch projects within the company. So be sure that you get into the right project to begin with.

Can be very bureaucratic and may involve lots of paperwork to do the simplest of things.

My ratings is for the current time, not when I started working there. When I started out, I would rate it 4-5 stars.

Need to reward loyal employees that have contributed to the company for many years instead of pushing them out when the new contracts cannot afford them.

Future Employees Beware

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits package overall and multiple work locations

Cons

Vacation accruals are low for all incoming new hires, regardless of years of experience

Due to short staffing at all levels, be prepared to give up your nights and weekends at a moments notice to make internal or external clients happy - your career will suffer at SRA if you dont
    As such, employees are treated as if it is their privledge to work at SRA - there is a reason they fell off the list of the Best Companies to work for about five years ago.

Even though SRA only has about 6000 employees, the red tape to get decisions made takes as long as it would if they were a 60,000 employee company. So many people have to give their opinion on even minute policy or day to day operations in an effort to not hurt feelings and because there are no clear procedures for decision authority that SRA cannot keep up with the work load demanded by internal and external clients.

My current role is in senior management. My advice would be to get rid of the legacy leaders (functional, executive, and client facing) who are stuck in a mental state of "this is how we have always done it" which is in conflict with the new folks coming in trying to establish best practices. SRA had long operated as four seperate divisions and the leaders of these divisions have no interest in working together or seeing the forest for the trees when is coming to the greater good of the company and hence large scale positive change is severly delayed at SRA.

Internal resources for manager to be managers is also severly lacking - no formal training or integration into management role, no online self-service to manage employee performance and salaries, no career development resources to coach subordinates, no time or emphasis on looking out for employees best interests or their work life balance.

SRA is a shadow of what it was in the 1990's

I have been working at SRA International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Still some hardcore SRA'ers left in the company that motivate the younger generations

Cons

Limited career paths - remaining billable is the only option and that can be difficult without any bench time betweenprojects

Help middle management to understand the difference between business capture and project execution

Turning the Corner

Current Employee - Senior Principal in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Principal in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company seems to be turning the corner. Revenues seem a bit down, but the new CEO seems to be "pulling all the levers" to get the company back to it's hay day of high revenues, explosive growth and high morale.

Cons

Same management team with some reworks. Upper Management seems to be into theatrics and fluff and not enough substance. We have had multiple rif's, forced layoffs, early retirements and the upper management team seems to be unscathed.

Develop and train staff.

a great place to get placed on a project, but not to make a career

Current Employee - Technical Director III in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Director III in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Highly ethical management with solid reputation (historically) and generally a very healthy respect for work/life balance; career advancement for individuals getting involved at tough projects and customer sites; will not burn bridges with customers and partners, and seemingly has an open door policy where anyone can leave and go to any competitor at any time.

Cons

Over-emphasis on projects vs domain areas, making it tough to recruit and retain top talent; many long time veterans there are either leaving because it has changed, or should have been fired but cling as a result of politics.

Place a greater emphasis on career paths and internal mobility.

Ok place to grow skills, but jump to another company for higher salary.

Current Employee - Sys Administrative in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Sys Administrative in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International

Pros

I have had a chance to grow my skills greatly at SRA.
    I have seen many very smart people at SRA.
    Better than most companies when it comes to honesty in dealing with employees.

Cons

My current salary is way below industry average for my quals and skills.
    Has seen downhill slope for employee satisfaction in recent years. Fell off 100 best companies to work for list, and I see why.
    Was probably better company to work for years ago, but has growing pains. Recently sold to huge conglomerate...they will probably try to turn the company around and sell for higher price. This could be a good thing for sra.
    My raises seem generous when you look at percentage, but never got me to the level of my skills, responsibilities, and qualifications.

Invest in your people. Try to go back to your roots...best company in the world by any measure, including employee satisfaction.

SRA is a nice place to work.

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International

Pros

I like interacting and working with other employees within SRA. They offer good training and tuition reimbursement opportunities. The ability to telecommute when needed is nice.

Cons

I do not like that the cost of benefits keep increasing each year. I feel that some of my significant accomplishments are overlooked. The review process does not work perfectly.

She ain't what she used to be...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International

Pros

If you are primarily concerned with finding "project work", there is plenty to go around. They will find your butt a seat to sit in if they can.

Cons

This isn't a place where many people get ahead or even share in the success of the company. Don't expect to make a career here -- very few do.

Put your people first -- always.

Pleasant

I have been working at SRA International

Pros

Career advancement, good pay, being treated equally with respect

Cons

Benefits are not as good as it used to be

It's a good company