SRA International Reviews

Reset
3.1
SRA International CEO William L. Ballhaus
William L. Ballhaus

Pros
  • SRA has a good work/life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Competitive salary, good benefits (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management will stiff you out of a raise just to keep within their budgets (in 18 reviews)

• SRA used to have a reputation as one of THE companies to work for (in 8 reviews)

SRA has changed direction for the worse under Stan Sloan

Current Employee - PM M3 in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - PM M3 in Washington, DC

I have been working at SRA International

Pros

Good opportunities to move within the company, however those opportunities have been reduced over the last year since Stan Sloan came to run SRA.

Cons

too focused on short term growth in the last year. In the past SRA hired employees for a career and now it seems like just another body shop of beltway consultants.

Advice to Management

Provide more feedback on performance to good performers, don't take them for granted. Many of the senior/strong performers are feeling neglected and taken for granted over the last year.

SRA is still a solid place to work...

Former Employee - Senior Member, Professional Staff in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Member, Professional Staff in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International

Pros

SRA is a well respected government contracting company whose reputation is known for getting the job done.

Cons

SRA is growing and expanding at an alarming rate, and SRA internal seems to be unable to keep company communication and cohesiveness up to par. Moving from one project to another is not always easy and most often you will need to find a replacement for yourself if you attempt to move before a contract is completed.

Advice to Management

Don't go with the flow - make a stand and force change to happen through innovation and creativity.

3. The best employer I've had in my 17 year career.

Current Employee - Technical Lead (Principal)
    Current Employee - Technical Lead (Principal)

I have been working at SRA International

Pros

As long as you are prepared to take control of your career, SRA provides great opportunities for career development. The variety of work and clients SRA has provides great opportunities to gain experience across multiple disciplines in a variety of roles. If you make the effort to go beyond the basic requirements of your job, management will reward you. SRA stands by their talk of honesty and service. I know that I will never be asked to do anything shady or hide anything from a customer. I can't say that about all the government contractors I've worked for.

Cons

Management needs to do a better job communicating with staff on client site. The management in my SBU is good at it, but I know that many others are not. Benefits are average for the industry and the ESOP sucks. There is no discount for puchases under the ESOP.

Advice to Management

Better express your vision for SRA to the employees. Do a better job of making employees at client sites feel a part of the greater SRA.

5. Great company, very professional while fostering a collegial atmosphere.

Current Employee - Government Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Government Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at SRA International

Pros

Fortune Magazines top 100 employers ten years in a row. Good management, outstanding relationship with customers. Relaxed corporate atmosphere. Great pay and full benefits package.

Cons

They could have better insurance programs, but they provide adequate medical, dental and optometric insurance. The company's business travel software is irritating to use.

Advice to Management

You have a great company but unless growth continues at a rapid pace, I have heard that there is a very large back office support function in relation to front line employees. With our current economic troubles this probably bears some scrutiny. Regardless, the support is usually great and since I work directly with the customer and do not spend much time at HQ --- who knows I could be wrong.

6. SRA inspires deep loyalty

Current Employee - Emergency Management Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Emergency Management Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SRA International

Pros

Good support when you get sick, control of own career, ethical bosses, lots of contracts, exciting work, room for advancement, my bosses really care about their workers, Forbes Top 100 Places to Work for 10 years in a row

Cons

New senior management (C-level and VPs) focusing on cost-cutting (definitely good for stock prices which is a huge part of the job, not so great for employee morale, why I think we are slipping on the Top 100 list - currently at 99), training out of employee pockets or project overhead

Advice to Management

Cost-cutting is good, but remember what made us great.

7. Great place to work unless you're placed on a customer site

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at SRA International

Pros

Health benefits are very generous, and the paid time off is lumped into one "bucket" so that you don't have to play the "Vacation" vs. "Sick Time" game. Compensation was a little bit low to start but once a proven performer the raises were generous. Lots of continuing education. Flexible work schedule. Getting promoted is very easy if you demonstrate proficiency in your work.

Cons

As is usually the case with government contractors, there is virtually no career path if you want to stay technical. You have to move to management and your razor sharp skill set will likely be a casualty of the process. For a technology company that prides itself on CMMI and other certifications, the internal company "tools" provided for content management and information sharing are cave-man-esque. Many management staff are a bit out of touch and don't contribute a whole lot of value.

Advice to Management

I've worked at SRA for a few years and have not seen a whole lot of change, positive or negative, since the new CEO came on board. He did a lot of "shaking up" at the outset, and laid out some very aggressive growth plans that ended up dead in the water. There hasn't been a whole lot of followup since then, and I don't think employees feel very much a part of SRA as a whole, outside of their own little team.

8. I loved SRA

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Bremerton, WA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Bremerton, WA

I worked at SRA International

Pros

I loved working for SRA. I was always treated fairly and kindly by the Principle and support staff. I had a generous amount of leave time, a matching 401(k), health/dental/vision, and short-term disability. I probably had long-term disablility too.

Cons

I worked in Bremerton while most of SRA is in Virginia. Sometimes we felt like the red-headed stepsister. But it was just that Bremerton is fairly remote.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work with the salary & benefits that are offered. Management in VA should try a little harder to help the Bremerton folks feel more included.

9. SRA is a great place to work at!

Current Employee - Intern in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Intern in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SRA International

Pros

My internship experience this summer at SRA International was pretty exciting. I had the opportunity to work on many different projects and gain different perspectives of the whole company and how they operate. I learned a lot and gained a ton of experience there this summer. I recommend interning there to anyone who is interested.

Cons

The pay is decent for an intern, but not as great as some of the other companies out there. Arlington and D.C. in general is a very, very expensive place to live. Sometimes even 18 dollars an hour won't cut it.

Advice to Management

Over the last 2-3 years, as the economy has retracted, college students are becoming more and more competitive. It's a real challenge to land a job out of college now, and students are taking things very, very seriously. I've witnessed this shift or change and am doing everything I can to stay competitive. College hires have a lot to bring to the table these days and that was something I noticed at SRA, so keep it up!

10. Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD

I have been working at SRA International

Pros

Excellent company culture, friendly co-workers. Managers are great at communicating and very understanding and willing to work with you to help you balance your personal and work life.

Cons

The company is based on contracts, which is risky.

11. Career Defining

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SRA International

Pros

Ethics, Quality Work, client satisfaction.

Cons

Business based on government budgets with can be risky.

RSS Feed </> Embed