SRA International Reviews

Reset
2.6
SRA International CEO William L. Ballhaus
William L. Ballhaus

Pros
  • SRA has a good work/life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Competitive salary, good benefits (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management will stiff you out of a raise just to keep within their budgets (in 18 reviews)

• SRA used to have a reputation as one of THE companies to work for (in 8 reviews)

Used to be an employee oriented company

Current Employee - Software Engineer V in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer V in Rockville, MD

I have been working at SRA International full-time

Pros

A reliable administrative staff Decent benefits Decent pay

Cons

Disconnect with offsite government contractors Reduced benefits

Tread Carefully

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at SRA International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Large established company with many career paths to choose.

Cons

On-site management allows the government to intimidate and push them around. The workers have scarce protection from government verbal abuses and meddling. This was clearly inappropriate. Team leaders have very little actual work experience in the specified field. Paid time off (like vacation or sick) was hard to come by. One of the supervisors is a lying, petty, backbiting, gossiping and worthless individual who's hellbent on manipulating the team to get his way. He also rats out co-workers, spreads lies and sides with the government to stay in their favor. Individuals with experience and confidence were perceived (and treated) as threats and purged (fired). During orientation, company stated they take pride in their diversity. However, in the Fairfax upper leadership team, five white males and one white female was they only thing offered to back up this claim. I think they are lying to themselves. Work there if you are desperate for a full-time gig. Otherwise, hold on for something better.

Advice to Management

Your managers need some backbone to stand up to an abusive and meddling government.

Good people, very poor management

Former Employee - Senior Member of the Professional Staff in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Member of the Professional Staff in Rockville, MD

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company still employs talented, driven, personable people. Projects tend to be large and interesting. Training opportunities aren't non-existent, at least.

Cons

SRA used to have a reputation as one of THE companies to work for. This is no longer true. Many changes in policies and cuts to benefits have made it a company not distinguished from any other Beltway Bandit. Employee retention programs are non-existent and HR is worse than useless - management has forgotten it is cheaper to retain than recruit. What used to be a company where one could build a career has become nothing more than a body shop. What's more, despite their motto being "Honesty and Service," in my time there I saw more dishonesty and disservice done to the clients than in any other position I've ever been in. Project, program, and corporate management all work to create an atrocious environment of mendacity, fraud, and cronyism to the detriment of their employees and clients.

Advice to Management

Act with some integrity, and learn to value your employees and clients more than yourselves.

5. Very good groop of individuals

Former Employee - Help Desk Specialist in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Help Desk Specialist in Rockville, MD

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to to use as a jumping platform. The current CEO was an aerospace engineer out of California and he probably knows his stuff., so hopefully less bureaucracy that strangles most DC-based companies I'm not sure about advancement, however I would consider working for them again if they offered me a perfect job.

Cons

There is no demand for employees to excel or renew their IT certifications.

Advice to Management

Demand more IT certifications from your IT people. and provide better educational resources.

6. Working to find its way in a new reality

Current Employee - Engineer in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Engineer in Rockville, MD

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Established record as a good Federal IT contractor Good benefits Not many crazies in management

Cons

Performance slipping in recent years after decades of growth Acquisitions and getting acquired has produced management churn Not clear where things are headed

Advice to Management

I wish upper management had a better idea of what people at the bottom do in their work directly with the client. We're slipping into being just another contracting shop that works hard to put up good numbers (like all the other guys). Develop better pathways to advance inside the company because internal mobility is not functioning at all right now.

7. My experience has been positive, tough, challenging, but fair.

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Rockville, MD

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Here are some of the best reasons to work for SRA in my opinion: Flexible schedules, partial or full telecommuting available for some jobs (working from home), and domestic partner health insurance

Cons

I know this seems very petty, but one con, in my opinion, involves not enough of celebrating the employees themselves. For example, I would like to have at least one monthly celebration for all the folks with birthdays in that particular month.

Advice to Management

Since SRA is a bigger company from the one I worked at previously, it seems a bit more scattered and unorganized. Some of the folks in leadership positions seem to need a little more 'hands on experience' with the day-to-day activities so they have a better understanding of what is going on.

8. Lots of changes right now; could lead to immense success or modest failure.

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Rockville, MD

I have been working at SRA International

Pros

Large company with lots of opportunity. Forbes '100 best places to work'. Competitive salary.

Cons

Difficult acquisitions going on right now. Not sure of the outcome.

Advice to Management

More communication is needed from top to bottom.

RSS Feed </> Embed