SRA International Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated October 9, 2014
2.8

SRA International CEO William L. Ballhaus
William L. Ballhaus

Pros
  • SRA provides a very relaxed atmosphere and places a focus on work-life balance (in 40 reviews)

• good benefits , although every year they are becoming less and less (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant realignment of upper management in order to make company more competitive (in 17 reviews)

• Company no longer keeps you around to find a spot if your contract ends (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

61 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Colleagues & Client Engagement......Reduced Benefits & Stale Growth Strategy

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at SRA International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The SRA staff on my contract within the Defense Department are phenomenal. My team is encouraging, collaborative, and work through our client's most pressing challenges. My immediate leadership team has great business and inter-personal acumen. They care for their SRA staff and work hard to maintain solid client relationships. My salary is competitive and fair for my level of expertise in this marketplace.

Cons

While my day to day engagements with the client and on site SRA team are great, the company itself seems to lack vision. It is caught in a cycle of conventional thinking, aggressive cost cutting, and reduction of employee benefits. There is limited work-life balance as SRA has cut personal leave time for and health benefits for employees in an effort to be more cost competitive in the federal marketplace.

Through an unhealthy fixation on cost cutting, senior management at SRA are losing perspective on its most valuable differentiator, its people. They're caught in a conventional frame of mind when dealing with a shrinking federal market. The reduced benefits and lack of personal growth will ultimately harm the company's ability to attract and retain talent.

SRA is a great company to work for

Current Employee - Lead Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lead Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at SRA International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I work at the client's site, so my interaction with company personnel is limited. Management has always been supportive and do what they can to support me and my customer. Their have been management reductions as the compay is trying to be leaner and more competitive in the federal contracting arena.

Cons

Like many companies, SRA is cutting back on benefits and has reduced company staff a few times over the last three years. They still offer a good salary and a decent level of benefits.

Smart, hard-working, dedicated people. Confusing company structure.

Current Employee - Senior Energy Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Energy Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at SRA International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is fair and most people seem very dedicated to the work. Employees are very well educated and knowledgeable in their subject area.

Cons

Benefits keep getting cut or "restructured." Frequent management restructuring makes it difficult to contact the proper person for issues that may arise. Not enough people seem to know enough about the company. There is a disconnect between upper management and employees.

Be more communicative with the employees.

Excellent, ethical consulting company

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at SRA International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, good work-life balance, and the company's commitment to honesty and service really show through in the majority of its managers and leaders. Compensation was fair. Many talented consultants out to provide excellent value to the government.

Cons

The relationship between the various acquired entities that made up SRA, at that time, was awkward for consultants trying to move across the organization. The cultures, while similar, were so tight-knit that it often felt like other divisions weren't as supportive of your success as your own.

SRA is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at SRA International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The cluture is superb: work hard and you will be rewarded.

Cons

Hard to move up to new positions.

Good People and Work/Life Balance

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at SRA International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good/avarage benefits. I've worked at some larger consulting firms that required you to jump through endless hoops. SRA is not this way. Simple yearly review process. Concerned with getting the job done and not on frivilous corporate requirements that really serve no purpose.

Cons

Insurnace benefits and PTO benefits in the last year have changed for the worse. As with most companies in the Federal Government sector they've had to tighten thier belt due to competition - which feeds down to employees in the form of benefit changes. I'm also not sure that there is a lot of room for promotion with the model that is in place.

Continue the efforts to define clear career paths for employees so that they can advance their career.

They literally never assigned me anything to do and didn't provide any training.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at SRA International as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is reasonably good, and the people working there generally seemed nice. There were lots of free desserts.

Cons

From day one they literally never assigned me anything to do. I feared for job stability, because I'd never been assigned any projects to work on and never received any training. It seems like they have more employees than they need.

Make sure that all employees are receiving some kind of training and some kind of work assignments, and make sure that the purpose of their position is something they understand. I came in as a contractor, and I wanted to work, and in the months that I was there I was literally never given any training or assigned any single task.

Job Titles and Experience Mean NOTHING to SRA Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at SRA International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employees in the field (not at corporate) - excluding management - are hard-working, professionals and great to work with.

Cons

- Micro-managing project managers! Warning: You won't be treated like a professional here! These managers have no interest in discussing work conflicts with their employees!
    - Self-serving project leads with no backbones.
    - No regard for the individual employee's work history and previous responsibilities; all they seem to care about is giving you the lowest salary possible.
    - The "Honesty" part of their motto apparently does not apply to employees.

Rather than avoiding a conflict of your own creation - such as giving a new employee "Senior" status (which even by the company's own definition he does NOT qualify for) and then having the person who's been on the job for almost 4 years train and mentor that person with no extra compensation - take responsibility for the conflict and find a way to resolve it equitably and professionally.

Good for Government Contracting work

I have been working at SRA International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Competitive salary. Tries hard to cultivate a workplace family atmosphere. Tries to be a great company to work for among government contracting companies.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for advancement. In a time of constricting government budgets, the company has not done a great job of winning work that would create more opportunities for their employers.

Great company to work for with minor drawbacks

Former Employee - Senior Member of the Professional Staff in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Member of the Professional Staff in Washington, DC

I worked at SRA International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good company with a diverse work-force. The company does a relatively good job of making all feel they are valued as employees through numerous recognition programs.

Cons

With the growth, seem to have lost much of the original focus with the founders as it went through the change to public and now private firm again.

Focus on the core values and build the business back to what it was.