SRA International Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated August 31, 2014
2.7

SRA International CEO William L. Ballhaus
William L. Ballhaus

Pros
  • work / life balance, fexability, fellow employees support (in 34 reviews)

• good benefits , although every year they are becoming less and less (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • In short, the upper management doesn't seem to recognize there are people working for them (in 14 reviews)

• Not quallifying for 50 Best Companies to Work For is justified (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

58 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

SRA is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at SRA International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The cluture is superb: work hard and you will be rewarded.

Cons

Hard to move up to new positions.

Job Titles and Experience Mean NOTHING to SRA Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at SRA International full-time for more than a year

Pros

The employees in the field (not at corporate) - excluding management - are hard-working, professionals and great to work with.

Cons

- Micro-managing project managers! Warning: You won't be treated like a professional here! These managers have no interest in discussing work conflicts with their employees!
    - Self-serving project leads with no backbones.
    - No regard for the individual employee's work history and previous responsibilities; all they seem to care about is giving you the lowest salary possible.
    - The "Honesty" part of their motto apparently does not apply to employees.

Rather than avoiding a conflict of your own creation - such as giving a new employee "Senior" status (which even by the company's own definition he does NOT qualify for) and then having the person who's been on the job for almost 4 years train and mentor that person with no extra compensation - take responsibility for the conflict and find a way to resolve it equitably and professionally.

They literally never assigned me anything to do and didn't provide any training.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at SRA International as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The pay is reasonably good, and the people working there generally seemed nice. There were lots of free desserts.

Cons

From day one they literally never assigned me anything to do. I feared for job stability, because I'd never been assigned any projects to work on and never received any training. It seems like they have more employees than they need.

Make sure that all employees are receiving some kind of training and some kind of work assignments, and make sure that the purpose of their position is something they understand. I came in as a contractor, and I wanted to work, and in the months that I was there I was literally never given any training or assigned any single task.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good People and Work/Life Balance

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at SRA International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good/avarage benefits. I've worked at some larger consulting firms that required you to jump through endless hoops. SRA is not this way. Simple yearly review process. Concerned with getting the job done and not on frivilous corporate requirements that really serve no purpose.

Cons

Insurnace benefits and PTO benefits in the last year have changed for the worse. As with most companies in the Federal Government sector they've had to tighten thier belt due to competition - which feeds down to employees in the form of benefit changes. I'm also not sure that there is a lot of room for promotion with the model that is in place.

Continue the efforts to define clear career paths for employees so that they can advance their career.

Good for Government Contracting work

I have been working at SRA International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work/life balance. Competitive salary. Tries hard to cultivate a workplace family atmosphere. Tries to be a great company to work for among government contracting companies.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for advancement. In a time of constricting government budgets, the company has not done a great job of winning work that would create more opportunities for their employers.

It was Time to Move On

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at SRA International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fantastic co-workers, some of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. They also do a nice job with Health and Wellness Awareness, Employee Appreciation Days/Holiday Celebrations. The benefits are good, especially the support of tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Here we go....
    1) C Level/Key Leaders - A complete mess. The COO and CFO have each left within the past year, which is never a good sign. They seem to bring way too many people in from the outside, rather than promoting from within. They also make very poor business decisions and allow the rumormill to spread the word, rather than telling the employees directly.

2) HR is not well connected to the needs of the employee. Some of the rudest HR departments I have ever worked with. It's their way or no way. They need a reality check that without people billing contracts (i.e. staying with the company) they don't have a job.

3) Lack of career growth. They put the needs of the company and the project you're assigned well before the employees. There is also very limited positions to move into due to a loss of contracts and heavy layoffs at corporate.

Read the reviews on Glassdoor. You'd learn a lot about why so many people are leaving, but unfortunately I know all too well that this is not happening.

Great company to work for with minor drawbacks

Former Employee - Senior Member of the Professional Staff  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Member of the Professional Staff in Washington, DC

I worked at SRA International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good company with a diverse work-force. The company does a relatively good job of making all feel they are valued as employees through numerous recognition programs.

Cons

With the growth, seem to have lost much of the original focus with the founders as it went through the change to public and now private firm again.

Focus on the core values and build the business back to what it was.

Not Employee or Client Friendly

I have been working at SRA International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Wellness Incentives and pretty decent healthcare insurance. But still not enough to make up for how horrible the company has become.

Cons

All of the benefits keep getting cut: 401K, holidays, vacation, compensation, and parking. Telecommuters do not get all of the equipment they need. Clients are basically given the bait and switch once a proposal is won. Management is focusing so much on profit and GC that they don't see how unhappy the employees and clients are.

Cheap and ineffective does not make a good combination for the future of the company. Take the hint that we have not won 80% of the work we are bidding.

Excellent Company - Forward thinking but still care about their employees

I have been working at SRA International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits. They work hard to keep you employed as contracts change. Company is growing and they are making adjustments to react to the marketplace. Company has lots of longtime employees 10+ years which is unusual in government contracting. That should indicate what type of company it is. Training is important to them and have had several opportunities for career advancement training.

Cons

401K just changed from per paycheck matching funds to end of year matching and must be employed there at the end of the year. This matches most other companies' policies.

Used to be a wonderfully employee-focused company, less so now

I have been working at SRA International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many opportunities for training - online (SkillPort), WebEx, SRA University, Books 24x7. SRA's Capabilities Centers and Communities of Practice give opportunities to learn about new technologies and network with people in far-flung parts of the company.
    SRA is serious about doing *useful* performance appraisals to really help the employee improve and grow, not just to check a box to say it's done.
    No one can say the company is in a rut when it comes to trying new approaches to strengthen the business and the leadership.
    SRA dealt with the effects of the Oct. 2013 government shutdown much better than many competitor companies.
    The people I work with are smart, collaborative, hard-working, and focused on doing what's best for our customer. I'm proud and happy to work with them.

Cons

Senior management's decisions over the past 18-24 months to reduce benefits, reorganize the company, and lay off people in certain areas, all in the name of making the company more competitive, have hurt morale and caused some excellent people to leave the company.

When Bill Ballhaus first joined SRA as CEO, I was very impressed with his willingness to answer questions during his quarterly "town hall" employee meetings, and his commitment to being transparent about senior management's decisions and directions for the company. But the latest round of upper management layoffs in December 2013 was done with no context and no explanation beyond "consolidation," and many people are very upset about it.

Bring back the transparency.
    Explicitly connect the dots for the rest of us, to demonstrate how your decisions to make SRA more competitive and to invest in people dedicated to growth/business development have benefited the company through new and re-competed contracts.

Worked for SRA International? Contribute to the Community!