SRI International

Updated March 4, 2015
Updated March 4, 2015
3.8

William Jeffrey

Pros
  • Very exciting projects, relaxed atmosphere, good people, decent work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Flexible hours, great work/life balance, good benefits - free Caltrain pass and large BART subsidy (< (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Lower than standard pay (granted, it's a non-profit so "bonuses" are not common) (in 8 reviews)

• No real excitement find and tackle complex problems (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

50 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great people, good work life balance

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at SRI International full-time

Pros

Great people and depending on the department, nice work/life balance

Cons

Need to be good at self advocating to get on good projects.

Interesting work, relaxed atmosphere, awesome colleagues

Current Employee - Senior Researcher in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Researcher in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at SRI International

Pros

The Policy Division employees are both smart and fun to work with. Management is laid back and people generally get along well. The work is meaningful (generally working on education and human services projects); you'll feel like you're engaged in projects that make a differences. Compensation is fair market value, and while crunches will require significant overtime, one can manage a fairly regular 40 hour week.

Cons

There can be a big difference between grant work (investigator-initiated) and client work. Depending on the client, the work can be interesting, or you can feel like a slave to some government lackey who enjoys lording it over contractors. Unfortunately, contract work brings in more money and is encouraged. If you're interested in keeping up your own publications these will be largely on your own time; it's rare to have enough paid time to think and write on these gigs.

Division management seems fairly solid; I have no opinion of overall corporate management. Policy division feels like an island unto itself.

Amazing Work/Life Balance, Few Career Growth Opportunities

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at SRI International as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

fantastic benefits and a great work/life balance due to it being a non-profit. For someone who is in their first job out of college, its relatively not stressful, which is nice.

Cons

Low pay for a surrounding area that essentially requires you to be at a company that had its IPO to afford the rent.
    lack of transparency from the top to bottom, i feel like the managers say one thing to you then tell other people something different

Awesome work environment

Current Employee - Senior Computer Scientist in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Computer Scientist in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at SRI International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good topics and research projects

Cons

have to get funds, no bonuses

bonus and incentives should be there

Awesome environment/culture, great people, and very rewarding job.

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at SRI International full-time

Pros

I would recommend this job to anyone. It is an amazing place with amazing people working on projects that will drive humanity further. People stay here and have crazy tenure because the treat their employees (and contractors as I am one) amazing.

Cons

Honestly, I have nothing negative to say.

Don't change a thing!

Nice place to get your start in

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at SRI International

Pros

This is my first real job out of college. Even working part time you will be eligible for health insurance. Depending on which department you work for, you can be surrounded by enthusiastic and incredibly smart individuals.

Cons

Pay here is not very good especially considering the cost of living in the surrounding areas. Career growth is limited to non-existent. Best bet if you wish to stay here is to possibly move to a different department. Company doesn't do it's best to make money to compensate for relying on government contracts to keep talent. Certain groups go through very high turnover rate.

Look to commercialization to makeup for money lost through government contracts. Actually attempt to make money to reinvest into employee wages.

Working at SRI as a business professional

Former Employee - Senior Manager, Operations in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager, Operations in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at SRI International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I worked as a member of the Engineering and Systems Division for approximately 1 year. The culture within this group was strong and I believe they hire to this. Work life balance is a huge benefit here - you won't get rich working here, but you will be paid extremely well for you work and the benefits are excellent.

As a business professional with a non-technical background, I was excited and fortunate to land among such technical brain power. Although I lacked the technical education, I felt respected and valued within my group. I enjoyed walking into work knowing that I would not be micro managed and expected to deliver quality work and work with a team.

I would have stayed longer, but I left after 10 months to start a business with a fellow SRI engineer.

SRI is one of the most respected technology companies in the world. It's up there with Xerox PARC.

Cons

Because SRI is focused in science, engineering, and technology there is limited room for growth if you are a business professional. However, if you are looking to spend a year or two working hard - it will be a gold star in your career if you wish to move to a larger technically focused public fortune 50 company.

Excellent Corporate Culture

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at SRI International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Supervisors are there to guide your career path and co-workers are intelligent and highly skilled / knowledgeable. HR is very helpful and responsive. I felt fully supported by the administrative staff. It's a great corporate culture of folks who think outside of the box and aren't afraid to show it, pleasant people to work with, I've made friends with co-workers that will last long after I leave the company.

Cons

Commuting from/to SF on the Caltrain is the only con. But they provide transportation vouchers so it's a free commute!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Program Director in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Program Director in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at SRI International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good management, plenty of freedom, lot of flexibility, great work life balance, good projects. SRI has a good reputation and an illustrious history. It is a very bottom up PI-driven organization. If you are able to find a good niche and long-term funding, it can be a very good place to work. There is ample of opportunity to work with leading researchers in the USA and abroad.

Cons

you will most likely not get rich working here. no stock options. salary is good, but probably not as good as the rest of the valley. The social life is rather terrible. I made very few friends during my time here. Most of my connections were outside the campus. There are some people who prioritize politics over scientific content.

Good company if you're in the right group

Current Employee - Research Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Research Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at SRI International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting work, good people, pretty good workk life balance in some groups.

Cons

Salary vs cost of living in the bay area, advancement potential, depending on what group you're in you may be somewhat segregated from the rest of the population at Menlo and thus you don't get to interact outside your group.

More engineering R&D where a client isn't already lined up