SRI International

SRI International Reviews in Menlo Park, CA

Updated Jul 22, 2014

SRI International President, CEO, and Director Curtis R. Carlson

Curtis R. Carlson

Pros
  • Very exciting projects, relaxed atmosphere, good people, decent work-life balance(in 14 reviews)

• The campus has incredible potential (70 acres in the heart of Menlo Park)(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lower than standard pay (granted, it's a non-profit so "bonuses" are not common)(in 8 reviews)

• No clear career development path(in 4 reviews)

43 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent Corporate Culture

Research Analyst (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsSupervisors are there to guide your career path and co-workers are intelligent and highly skilled / knowledgeable. HR is very helpful and responsive. I felt fully supported by the administrative staff. It's a great corporate culture of folks who think outside of the box and aren't afraid to show it, pleasant people to work with, I've made friends with co-workers that will last long after I leave the company.

ConsCommuting from/to SF on the Caltrain is the only con. But they provide transportation vouchers so it's a free commute!

Great place to work

Program Director (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsGood management, plenty of freedom, lot of flexibility, great work life balance, good projects. SRI has a good reputation and an illustrious history. It is a very bottom up PI-driven organization. If you are able to find a good niche and long-term funding, it can be a very good place to work. There is ample of opportunity to work with leading researchers in the USA and abroad.

Consyou will most likely not get rich working here. no stock options. salary is good, but probably not as good as the rest of the valley. The social life is rather terrible. I made very few friends during my time here. Most of my connections were outside the campus. There are some people who prioritize politics over scientific content.

Good company if you're in the right group

Research Engineer (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsInteresting work, good people, pretty good workk life balance in some groups.

ConsSalary vs cost of living in the bay area, advancement potential, depending on what group you're in you may be somewhat segregated from the rest of the population at Menlo and thus you don't get to interact outside your group.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore engineering R&D where a client isn't already lined up

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Postdoc, OK Culture

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

Pros-- Interesting research
    -- Great work-life balance
    -- Fantastic benefits

Cons-- Poor salary, just slightly above academic postdocs
    -- Culture and facilities feel like a TV show in the 1970s
    -- Bureaucracy can be ridiculous
    -- Funding is highly susceptible to government funding problems

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing a postdoc here feels isolating at times. The average age of some divisions is quite high and it feels like the younger staff don't have much in common with the rest of the company.

Great benefit package - several longtime staff (30-50 years)

Security Professional II (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsBenefits and shift differentials on off shifts. Flexibility with time off.

ConsEach department is different but this department is filled with several envious staff that feel the need to call you out, step over you on throw you under the bus to get what benefits them most. One day everything is by the book., the next day its casual. Very unsettled supervisory expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your staff and lead by example.

Soul of Silicon Valley

Program Manager (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsGreat Culture: brilliant minds working to make the world a better place.
    Cross between high tech and college campus and think tank
    Lots of long time employees
    Strong senior leadership
    Great CEO
    Strong team atmosphere
    Senior leaders have ethics and integrity
    Friendly culture
    Onsite gym, massage, nail salon, credit union, hair dresser

ConsHighly dependent on government contracts in a recession
    Slower pace than other high tech
    Outside of research groups, not much growth in corporate
    Total compensation lower than high tech

Great exposure to lots of technical areas

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsSRI has a great history of innovation and this culture fuels its forward progress. It is one of the few institutions in Silicon Valley that has excellent integrity and ethics. If you can contribute to the success of your projects, you'll have a rewarding career here.

ConsSRI, like all research-oriented contractors, is subject to the influence of the economy. When the government and private businesses are not investing in research, it can be a challenge to find a projects to which you can contribute.

Great company for research enthusiasts

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsLots of research projects. Freedom to create your own research projects and working on it. Laid back and easy environment. You most likely get your own private office. It offers the benefits of a company in an academia-like environment.

ConsIt can feel a bit boring at times. There is not a lot of fun activities on the campus. The average age range is high.

Very good

International Fellow (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsSome the smartest people in the Valley

ConsMust be an American Citizen or Permanent Resident to get access to the really interesting stuff.

Worked for Corp.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsYou have the ability to learn a great deal!

ConsNo comment. None whatsoever!

Advice to Senior ManagementDefinitely no comment; besides, it's useless. Nothing will change. Things will be done the same old way...since 1946.

Worked for SRI International? Contribute to the Community!