SS&C
www.ssctech.com Windsor, CT 1000 to 5000 Employees

SS&C Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014
SS&C – Greenwood Village – “The exterior of the Denver office is seen here…”

SS&C Chairman and CEO Bill Stone

Bill Stone

Pros:
  • "The fact that SS&C will invest in their employees makes this one of the best places to work"
    in 6 reviews
  • "The environment is pretty laid back, you can wear jeans if you want"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "High turnover lately, losing a lot of talented people due to poor management"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Upper management is clueless and refuses to learn or address the current problems"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Decent stepping stone

I have been working at SS&C full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat health insurance, hands-off management approach--employees given decent amount of decision-making authority, flexible and casual working environment

Conslack of strong company brand and identity; lack of employee development structure; management is not properly trained; promotions and career paths non-existent; lack of competitive salaries and bonuses; lack of company pride and firm-wide professionalism

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a company brand and structure that is cohesive, proud and professional--at all levels of the organization. Provide extensive management training and employee development opportunities.

Stuck In the Past

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Greenwood Village, CO

I worked at SS&C full-time for more than a year

ProsThe atmosphere is laid-back, and you'll be left alone most of the time. You can take a whole year if you want to write a single web page. Many have done it before, some because they were lazy, and others because the project uses source code from the Jurassic period.

ConsYou won't get a single minute of training, but you will get reprimanded if you ask questions. Ideas are NOT welcome. DO NOT even say the word "innovate." The company is too busy putting out daily fires to think for one second about how to get ahead of them. The future doesn't look good.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are going to fail if you don't embrace aspects of modern software development. Architecture, documentation, quality assurance can't just be skipped. Maybe you'll learn this and hire more resources but I doubt it.

Needs work

Investor Relations Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at SS&C full-time for more than a year

ProsThe attire is casual, large company, great benefits/vacation days/health insurance. Company growth is expected to continue. Office is conveniently located right off 91.

ConsVery difficult to get promoted so many good employees leave for greener pastures. Current labor board dispute going on. No training provided, no classes to learn their software.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote the people you want to keep. Change the culture to make your employees happy. Be more team oriented. Make quick decisions to get rid of dead weight.

Good for now…...

Senior Accountant (Current Employee)

I have been working at SS&C full-time for more than 3 years

Proscasual dress, decent benefits, they will take anyBODY to fill a seat.

Conssystems and technology slow, higher positions get stuck doing work for people who don't know what they are doing, no work life balance, set hours, no flex time. no discipline for delinquent workers…upper staff levels have to compensate for their inabilities. not many perks-free (gross) coffee, filtered water…that's it. Lunch room/cafeteria seating area is dated..most people eat at their desks or go out to get away. Solution to getting things done is overtime..work on the weekends, instead of hiring the appropriate, qualified staff.

Advice to Senior Managementpromote a more work life balance.

Dissapointing

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at SS&C full-time for more than a year

ProsYou will learn patience. You will have to figure out how to keep the different managers happy and be able to quickly learn and adhere to their unique and often conflicting standards.

You will get to know your own character, since you will be asked and encouraged to do whatever it takes to make the sale.

ConsMoney is all that matters to this company and that message is told from the top down.

Growing revenue is everyone's main job and you are reminded regularly, even non sales staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to care about the needs of your clients and employees as much as growing revenue.

Good company with minor issues

Boston, MA

I have been working at SS&C full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany is growing and financially strong, which provides interesting career opportunities. Management runs a tight and efficient organization. Everyone is busy and mostly productive, management sets aggressive but achievable goals and the culture is very direct and holds employees accountable. Top employees seem to be rewarded well and most can do well with reasonable effort. Pay is good for the effort required.

Despite older reviews, turnover seems industry standard. I don't see office politics. Perhaps this varies by office/division.

ConsOffices are drab. Could provide more formal career training. Management could provide more transparency on bonuses and compensation. Would be good to have more formal career mentoring and performance review processes. Benefits are industry standard, could do better. No fun perks like other tech companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in products, provide more transparency into corporate processes and more structure in terms of compensation and talent management. Continue growing and be sure to share the rewards with employees who are contributing.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

A workshop for button pushers

Accountant (Current Employee)

I have been working at SS&C full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA good entry level opportunity to gain experience.

ConsPoor pay unless you're coming from another company.
They would much rather hire outsiders for the best management jobs than promote from within.
They will work you to the bone and never reward the effort. You will work nights and weekends regularly.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement refers to accountants as unimportant and "no bodies" openly. They will not listen.

Great Experience and a great management team behind it. If you are driven it is a great place to work

Associate Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at SS&C full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFocus on the bottom line, breath of services and opennes of senior management

ConsVery process specific and little room to develop many skills

Advice to Senior Managementcreate rotational programs for the best people in the firm

Excellent place to learn, great work/life balance if in the right group and right manager

I have been working at SS&C full-time

ProsIf working for the right manager you'll learn a great deal, have a great work/life balance and really enjoy your job

ConsMuch politics is involved as the company has grown over the years.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be stingy with raises and bonuses. If company is making money then share the wealth!

Run very far away!

Fund Accountant (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at SS&C full-time for less than a year

Pros- out at 530 every day

Cons- little to no training but expected to keep up with others who have worked there for years
- employees did not offer help to train and were put off by questions
- low pay
- cliques in office
- no opportunities for advancement

Worked for SS&C? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SS&C reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SS&C CEO Bill Stone. All 80 reviews posted anonymously by SS&C employees.