SS&C

Updated November 24, 2014
2.4

SS&C Chairman and CEO Bill Stone
Bill Stone

Pros
  • Very good working environment, a lot of young employees (in 9 reviews)

• casual dress, decent benefits, they will take anyBODY to fill a seat (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is about as thick as they come (in 12 reviews)

• High turnover lately, losing a lot of talented people due to poor management (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Simply the worst

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at SS&C full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Better than being on welfare or living under a bridge

Cons

SS&C Portia is the worst place to work in Boston. Upper management finds scapegoats to blame for the lack of sales and unhappy clients due to their mismanagement and unethical business practices. If you want to be lied to and not share in any profits, then work here.If you want a terrible raise and bonus while upper management is all smiles on bonus day, then work here. If you want to work for a parent company with benefits from the 1980’s, then work here. If you want to work for a company that does not care at all about its employees, then work here. If you want to work for a company that does not spend a cent on its employees, then work here. If you do not care about quality but only care about metrics, then work here. If you want to work without an opportunity for advancement, then work here. I wouldn’t wish this place on my worst enemy.

Wake up, it is 2014

Totally Defeated and Wasting My Life

Current Employee - Manager - Fund Accounting in Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Manager - Fund Accounting in Windsor, CT

I have been working at SS&C full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lax dress code, OK commute, free parking, free coffee and tea, "bagel Fridays", generous time off policies, good short-term experience.

Cons

Any career benefits of working at SS&C disappear after a maximum of two years. If lucky, being promoted from staff to senior MIGHT happen but getting any higher than that will require years of extraordinary effort and aggravation that yield little to no benefit. Managers and directors rarely move on, leaving no openings higher than assistant manager. I promise that you will feel as worn down and defeated as I do once you realize that all that hard work has provided no benefit. You’ll still be sitting in the same “seat”, so to speak, and this will cause an overwhelming feeling that much time and effort has been fully wasted.

You should keep in mind that this is not regular accounting. If too much time is spent here, it will be difficult to move on because the experience will not be easily transferable. I recommend waiting no more than three years before moving on, especially if the desire exists to work in a different type of accounting.

You will likely see your managers coming into work late and leaving early as you are still sitting in your little cubicle, working away. Managers slink away when they feel like it’s time for them to go home, possibly thinking that won’t be noticed. They couldn’t be more wrong. If I need assistance on something, I am made to feel like a nuisance rather than getting the support that’s needed to get the job done on time. I avoid my manager because of the confrontational responses I receive. Due to this, I seek help outside my group on the rare occasion that I need it.

Like many places, there are many parts that must mesh perfectly for things to run smoothly. I find that many departments don’t work together and people can be downright belligerent, even though each department is supposed to provide support to those that surround it. I have never felt more frustrated because I feel that people are so apathetic and don’t want to do their jobs. I chalk that up to company culture, which does not reward good workers any better than poor workers.

Most, if not all, work is done on a laptop. The systems that your machine connects to often break down, freeze up, or generate errors that are only meant to be understood by the people that programmed them. Crazy system problems will plague you and prevent you from getting your job done. And, as stated above, since other departments do not like to work well together, you should be fully prepared to have your help desk request ignored or even closed without having spoken to anyone or anything being done to correct the problem.

There is a generous time off policy that can't be taken advantage of because you’ll feel there is too much work to do to take the time off. Coming back after taking time off is like coming into a disaster. There isn’t adequate staffing or cross-training in place so that your work can get done during your absence. However, failure to take your accrued time off means that it will be lost, with the exception of a maximum of three days, once the calendar year rolls over. This is a no-win situation and a source of great aggravation at SS&C.

Fund Services recently moved to a new office space on the first floor. This is the least productive use of space I have ever seen. People can’t concentrate well because the entire office space is like a hallway with people constantly walking by. There is nothing to break up the traffic flow and also no privacy. Cubicle walls are also much too low. If you need to have a phone conversation with your client, the entire office can hear it. If you need to get up to go to the rest room, the entire office of 200+ people knows. If you receive a personal phone call, 200+ people know. Whoever thought this was a good idea should be fired immediately.

I fully understand that this will fall on deaf ears but it’s still worth it for me to mention. From what I am hearing, about 50% of the staff is actively looking for other employment. Since people know that the upcoming raises will be rather paltry (despite good financial results) with little to discern a superstar from a bum, staff are preparing en-masse to find other companies that may actually care the slightest little bit about seeing them succeed. No one wants to work knowing their future is bleak at best. No one wants to work feeling angry each and every day because they can’t get the support they need. Knowing that managers absolutely do not care is a real kick in the teeth. My feeling is that SS&C is at a tipping point at which if nothing is done, clients will begin to suffer because too many people are preparing to (and will) leave with the first chance they get. I think the only thing that will cause senior management to wake up is a massive employee exodus – the sooner the better. And the only reason they would wake up is because this will cause profits to fall, not because they actually give a damn about employees. Mr. Stone is too out of touch and beyond reproach these days.

Directionless management, unmotivated support staff.

Current Employee - Fund Service Manager in Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Fund Service Manager in Windsor, CT

I have been working at SS&C full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The hours were 9-5 irrespective of the workload.

Cons

Management disconnected to each other. Dirtitorial style rather than inclusive. No career path and no staff development. The Windsor CT operation was a mess!.

Install real metrics and stop asking staff to justify every single minute of their time. Learn how to sample work, without having to quality control every inquiry or service request. Proper train support staff. Introduce procedure manual to support existing processes.

A good starting point

Current Employee - Investor Relations Associate
    Current Employee - Investor Relations Associate

I have been working at SS&C full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good co-workers, fantastic health benefits

Cons

very poor inter-company communications, poor training program

Associate Manager Investor Services

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Harrison, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Harrison, NY

I have been working at SS&C full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a paycheck nothing more positive to say.

Cons

Horrible technology, no accountability from senior management down through the ranks, promises not kept, promises to clients for services we do not offer, terrible culture. CEO only worried about padding his own pockets. Many people leave, no one replaces them, we take on more business = terrible client service.

Start caring about your employees and they will show loyalty. Treat them like dirt and they will not last longer than a year.

Take Initiative: Be Rewarded

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at SS&C full-time

Pros

Destiny is in your own hands. If you want to work 9-5, just do your job, and contribute minimally, you can find a place in the company that rewards you little. However if you take initiative, understand the vision of the company, the benefits are endless. It is a meritocracy. Employees are rewarded for taking initiative. The company understands the position it is in: about to become the largest fund administrator globally. It has reinvested in its people and technology to achieve this.

Cons

Hours are long, but manageable. Not everyone is a genius, but not everyone can be.

Reward those who take initiative.

Don't walk, RUN AWAY!

Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Cranford, NJ
    Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Cranford, NJ

I worked at SS&C full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

really really lax dress code. free keurig coffee and sodas

Cons

Upper management doesn't care about you. They just pile on work and basically you have to work overtime all the time. Things have been getting better but the general consensus is very down.

pay your employees what they are worth and hire more people.

Stingy upper management but good for entry-level or salary hopping

Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at SS&C full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A lot depends on which department you work for which dictates your hours and office atmosphere. Decent benefits. Lots of roles and opportunities to find yourself. Great for post-graduate experience or salary hopping.

Cons

Upper management is about as thick as they come. Raises barely kept up with inflation and bonuses were paltry regardless of performance. All upper management decisions are based upon quarterly numbers at the cost of long-term revenue and overall health of the company and workers.

Entire C-level needs to read a management 101 book or be shown the door.

There is great potential

I have been working at SS&C full-time

Pros

Career and company growth potential. Fast paced environment.

Cons

Hiring process. Work/ life balance at all levels.

Salary discrepancies for same positions

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Windsor, CT

I have been working at SS&C full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Health benefits,time off policy good. Casual dress,work at home okay for some departments.

Cons

1 -Training not always consistent..have seen many attempts at training programs start & stop.
    2- Company usually works with a "put out the fires" mentality..i.e addressing problems too late. Also they tend to rush out the front door after new clients and neglect existing ones. Both of these actions cause resources to be siphoned off from current clients/accounts which affects raises/bonuses as a department "didn't make their numbers" due to loss of existing clients/accounts.

Salaries are not always equitable for same positions. New employees usually brought in at higher salaries than existing employees. No information within company about salary ranges.

SS&C Photos

The exterior of the Denver office is seen here off of Greenwood Plaza Blvd.

+ Add Photo