SS&C Reviews

Updated August 4, 2014

2.7

SS&C Chairman and CEO Bill Stone
Bill Stone

Pros
  • Very good working environment, a lot of young employees (in 8 reviews)

• casual dress, decent benefits, they will take anyBODY to fill a seat (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover lately, losing a lot of talented people due to poor management (in 8 reviews)

• Upper Management does not address talent (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Some benefits, but ultimately a depressing workplace

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Windsor, CT

I have been working at SS&C full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is decent. Job is easy enough, most employees work 9-5 and screw around most of the workday. I agree with other reviews that its impossible to get fired even if you're bad at your job.

Cons

Punitive corporate culture, boring industry, old products, management doesn't address talent and performance issues so it feels like a punishment to be a high performer, run down office environment. Benefits are stingy compared to other large companies.

Focus on building talent, rewarding strong performers in the company. Invest in products and people more.

Great set of people I work with....but that's it.

Current Employee - Distribution Specialist  in  Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Distribution Specialist in Windsor, CT

I have been working at SS&C full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

co-workers are supportive, easy commute, stable position

Cons

No raises, bonuses are very small, no room to move up, no one ever leaves to open a position, they always hire outside for upper level management, upper level management out of touch, too much finger pointing, not enough employees to complete the work in a normal work week, no overtime pay, no comp time for working overtime, reputation as a sweat shop it very true, very high turnover rate, run by bean counters now so quality suffers dramatically, owner on his own island of thought and only talks about making lots of money we we need to work harder and smarter but there is no trickle-down effect.

Honest communication, stop the smoke screen, tackle employee issues head on and do not wait thinking it will blow over, don't assume, get us proper raises, why do good people leave this company to get raises? They would stay if treated like a human.

Don't run away, sprint!

Former Employee - Fund Accountant  in  Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Windsor, CT

I worked at SS&C full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary Ok casual work clothes

Cons

Read the other reviews and check the rating

It's not worth the effort

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Accountant

Current Employee - Accountant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Accountant in New York, NY

I have been working at SS&C for more than a year

Pros

work and life balance , reasonable compensation

Cons

bad working environment,no advance computers

provide more activities or trainning for employee, more rewards or promotion within the company

RUN

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Framingham, MA

I have been working at SS&C full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My coworkers and I bonded through the pain of working for this pathetic umbrella corporation.

Cons

No support from the parent company. They allowed our branch to slowly wither and die while the moved all the business to their New Jersey office.

Do not trust any postive reviews of this company. They are fabrications.

Why bother. It would fall on deaf ears.

pathetic place to work

Current Employee - 56th Street Office  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - 56th Street Office in New York, NY

I have been working at SS&C full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cant think of one other than I get a paycheck

Cons

Bill Stone is a money hungry, fowl mouth, self involved, narcistic pathetic man. His emails are abusive, make no sense, and when he sends them everyone in the company mocks him. SS&C is nothing more than sweat shop. You might as well be working in Asia in some substandard factory. They pay lousy, senior managers dress like street bums lack basic hygiene. Its amazing how hedge funds and PE firms go with the likes of SS&C. Truly a pathetic organization.

Company heading the right way

Current Employee - Consultant Client Support  in  Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Consultant Client Support in Windsor, CT

I have been working at SS&C full-time

Pros

- CEO is focused on growing this company
    - if you make a difference you will get noticed and rewarded
    - small company culture - you can move to where you can do more
    - bringing in new people to help provide support for our clients

Cons

- not enough organization/process in some areas

- increase sharing of benefits for those that do well
    - need to increase resources to help make the products even better

Fine place to work while you plan your next career move

I worked at SS&C full-time

Pros

Some great people, it really depends on the business unit. Stock options (if you can get them) have a good strike price.

Cons

Depends on the business unit. If the business unit is struggling it can be very difficult. Also very dependent on your SVP, if he/she has a good relationship with the CEO and the President and understands your business line life is good. Mine was not.

You need to do a bit of weeding at the SVP level.

Not for me

Former Employee - Fund Accountant  in  Cranford, NJ
    Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Cranford, NJ

I worked at SS&C full-time for more than a year

Pros

You definitely learn a lot in a short amount of time; casual dress code; niche industry (which can be a good or bad thing)

Cons

First off, I worked as a fund accountant doing fund administration. This is a very specific area of accounting, which can be good for those looking to specialize in fund admin, but bad for those looking to keep their options open in accounting (if you stay here too long, all your experience will be in private-equity accounting and can be difficult to leverage this knowledge to other areas of accounting). Otherwise, I was not happy with the constant overtime, micro-management, client demands, and overwhelming work. The amount of responsibility given to non-management employees did not equate with the salaries. No wonder there's such a high turnover rate in the company. Most people don't make it past 2 years.

I'd Rather be Unemployed

Former Employee - Investor Relations  in  Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Investor Relations in Windsor, CT

I worked at SS&C full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hard to think of any. You can wear jeans to work and it is almost impossible to get fired.

Cons

Where do i begin? The starting salary for investor relations in $40,000 and they will not move more than $1,000 higher unless you are overqualified by a significant margin (ex: have you MBA or have work for a competitor for 3+ years). The environment is unprofessional to say the least and the casual dress code only adds to this. The social dynamics are reminsent of a high school class. It's almost impossible to get fired becasue people are regualarly leaving the company so they need to keep everyone they can. You have to make multiple major mistakes to get fired. They allow weak links to stay around and bring down their team and/or department. Executives view employees as easily replaced mindless drones. Raises and bonuses are promised and then pushed back again and again if not taken back entirely. There is almost no way to advance in the company. Bill Stone is a pathetic excuse for a CEO. He is fine doing whatever it takes to make himself more money, everyone else just has to deal with whatever scraps he gives them. He leaves the entire company in the dark, nobody has any clue what the company's strategy or plan is other than make Bill Stone more money. The only people who stay there for a considerable amount of time either have no better options or they are gullable enough to believe the empty promises they are told again and again.

It may be a good idea to invest in the company, they look good on paper. However, key employees continue to leave becasue they can not stand the mistreatment anylonger. They frequently leave without any other job offers which speaks to how bad it truly is. With this happening as regularly as it does, I wouldn't be shocked if the company was not around in five years.

Create relationships with employees and gather ideas to change the environment in your departments. Unlessyou organize a coup de ta and replace Bill Stone. not much will change

Worked for SS&C? Contribute to the Community!