SS&C Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
2.7

SS&C Chairman and CEO Bill Stone
Bill Stone

Pros
  • Very good working environment, a lot of young employees (in 8 reviews)

• casual dress, decent benefits, they will take anyBODY to fill a seat (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover lately, losing a lot of talented people due to poor management (in 8 reviews)

• Upper Management does not address talent (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Not for me

Former Employee - Fund Accountant  in  Cranford, NJ
    Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Cranford, NJ

I worked at SS&C full-time for more than a year

Pros

You definitely learn a lot in a short amount of time; casual dress code; niche industry (which can be a good or bad thing)

Cons

First off, I worked as a fund accountant doing fund administration. This is a very specific area of accounting, which can be good for those looking to specialize in fund admin, but bad for those looking to keep their options open in accounting (if you stay here too long, all your experience will be in private-equity accounting and can be difficult to leverage this knowledge to other areas of accounting). Otherwise, I was not happy with the constant overtime, micro-management, client demands, and overwhelming work. The amount of responsibility given to non-management employees did not equate with the salaries. No wonder there's such a high turnover rate in the company. Most people don't make it past 2 years.

I'd Rather be Unemployed

Former Employee - Investor Relations  in  Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Investor Relations in Windsor, CT

I worked at SS&C full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hard to think of any. You can wear jeans to work and it is almost impossible to get fired.

Cons

Where do i begin? The starting salary for investor relations in $40,000 and they will not move more than $1,000 higher unless you are overqualified by a significant margin (ex: have you MBA or have work for a competitor for 3+ years). The environment is unprofessional to say the least and the casual dress code only adds to this. The social dynamics are reminsent of a high school class. It's almost impossible to get fired becasue people are regualarly leaving the company so they need to keep everyone they can. You have to make multiple major mistakes to get fired. They allow weak links to stay around and bring down their team and/or department. Executives view employees as easily replaced mindless drones. Raises and bonuses are promised and then pushed back again and again if not taken back entirely. There is almost no way to advance in the company. Bill Stone is a pathetic excuse for a CEO. He is fine doing whatever it takes to make himself more money, everyone else just has to deal with whatever scraps he gives them. He leaves the entire company in the dark, nobody has any clue what the company's strategy or plan is other than make Bill Stone more money. The only people who stay there for a considerable amount of time either have no better options or they are gullable enough to believe the empty promises they are told again and again.

It may be a good idea to invest in the company, they look good on paper. However, key employees continue to leave becasue they can not stand the mistreatment anylonger. They frequently leave without any other job offers which speaks to how bad it truly is. With this happening as regularly as it does, I wouldn't be shocked if the company was not around in five years.

Create relationships with employees and gather ideas to change the environment in your departments. Unlessyou organize a coup de ta and replace Bill Stone. not much will change

Soul-Sucking Company

Former Employee - Investor Relations Associate  in  Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Investor Relations Associate in Windsor, CT

I worked at SS&C full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Casual dress code however many employees show a severe lack of professionalism in that department.

Cons

Bad energy/environment. Minimal raises/bonuses (if any). Constant threats from management. No respect from management. Poor environment for women.

I quit just shy of my 3rd anniversary at the company but I hated it after the first week. I stayed on because I was told they wanted ideas on how to change employee and client satisfaction. I provided MANY ideas on how to make the company and atmosphere better but my ideas were ignored, mainly because I was a young woman, even though I had previous hedge fund experience (more than many of the other employees). Women are not treated with respect by most of the upper management and often yelled at or embarrassed in from of others. Severe lack of professionalism from other employees. Most people there were constantly complaining (me included) and wanted to get out/quit. Bad energy, and affected my health and well-being. The employees that do good work can be rewarded but not enough and they are made to feel guilty for their accomplishments. Jobs were often threatened if we did not work mandatory overtime, late nights and weekends, we were told that if "we couldn't get it done [management] would find people who could." Employees would quit without other work because they could not deal with the company and job anymore. People are starting to leave in droves, many without another job. CEO is known for never thanking his employees for their hard work, only for asking for more from them so that the executives can buy second homes, fancy cars and yachts. Only bonus was the holiday party with open bar and dj. However, recently the holiday party has been downgraded to almost nothing. Windsor offices are gross, not taken care of and construction was done during the day on our floor while employees were trying to work, speak to clients on the phone, etc. HR has absolutely no presence. They do not even know who most of the employees are and remain "unaware" of the issues that many employees have notified them of via email or through management. Many of the male managers are lecherous and do not treat women with respect. The hard-working employees will often carry those who put in the bare minimum. Upper management was constantly lying or delaying any news on the company or departments. Lower level employees were treated like children or unruly teenagers. My lack of desire to work hard for a company that did not care about my growth in my job started to very much affect my work and my work for my team. I did not want to take away from what the team was trying to accomplish but I no longer cared so I quit. If you have a few jobs offers, including one from SS&C, DO NOT TAKE IT.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Developer

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Windsor, CT

I worked at SS&C full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, reasonable expectations, regular bonus

Cons

Not great environment for career development

Interact more closely with key talent to increase retention.

Sweat Shop!

Former Employee - Fund Accountant  in  Skillman, NJ
    Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Skillman, NJ

I worked at SS&C full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

free coffee, but it's not really that good anyway

Cons

SS&C is a truly shameful place to work. You will be micro managed to death. If you want to do fund accounting, please dont do it here. You will find disgruntled employees that do not have any desire to better themselves by going elsewhere. You will find that the higher ups practice a totalitarian style of management. Any mistake you make, no matter how insignificant, will be magnified come review time and you will be penalized for it. As far any accomplishments, forget about it, they will never be brought up during the annual review. They only want to focus on the negatives. You will not be trained and you will be expected to know everything about your job from day one. If you do not know something and try to ask, you will be penalized. Management shows no respect to its employees. They will shake your hand one day to thank you for your contributions, and fire you the next day. I've seen this happen. They are back stabbers and are cold as ice. I witnessed a very unethical practice done by this company that I will never forget. Things may have changed, but workload distribution was very uneven while I was there. Some work non stop throughout the day and others work for 20 minutes and surf the internet the rest of the day. Raises are insignificant. I was there 5 years only received a tiny insignificant raise twice. It was not enough to make up for the rising cost of health care insurance, so I was actually making less the longer I stayed. The reason given for no raises: "it's a bad economy right now". How pathetic is that. If you need a job desparately, stay here until you can find something else. If you dont need a job desparately, please dont waste your life by working here. I'm thankful i'm in a much better place now. Glassdoor you need to approve this review so people know the truth.

treat people with dignity and respect

Sweat shop

I have been working at SS&C full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They haven't gone to a 70 hour work week yet.

Cons

Lack of training, no raises for years even though the company is making millions, tuition benefits have been lowered and scheduled to go lower, departments run by fear and intimidation, 60 hour mandatory work week in many departments, no respect from management, way too much nepotism (if you're not related to a manager you can forget advancement opportunities).

Many of us have noticed when you get a bad review, someone in the company posts many "good" reviews. Please make an attempt to correct the issues at the company and this will help.

Run ! This is the worst place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at SS&C full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a paycheck on time.

Cons

This company has some serious management problems. As a product company, there is no vision or roadmap for the product. Absolutely no communication between the upper management and the employees. Things constantly keep changing and the management picks a scapegoat to blame at the end of it all. I was surprised when one of the clients talked about a feature in the product which we hadnt even built in. I am not sure what the sales promises the clients.
    There is too much micro management and at the end of the week there are three reports every employee needs to fill out for the tasks that they have worked on over that week. There is no formal appraisal process and the bonus is a joke.
    As a software product company, this company lacks any kind of process. It works more like a fly by night firm where everyones pant is on fire when things constantly break in the production environment.

Too late to change.

Not so great..

I have been working at SS&C

Pros

Most people are nice and approachable, flexibility with working from home in the winter, as much free coffee as you want..

Cons

Stressful work, work harder & smarter than others and get a smaller bonus, hard work is not really rewarded or recognized. Promotions are not really there for lower level employees...seems promoting from within is not important. Office furniture and technology is old. There is no formal training.

Average business office for a mid sized company

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Consultant in Windsor, CT

I worked at SS&C full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

No micro management, very easy work.

Cons

Management doesn't take advantage of skill sets.

Save yourself a headache and look elsewhere

I have been working at SS&C

Pros

Casual dress, some nice co-workers.

Cons

Micromanagers, unorganized, no training, filthy environment, greedy managers who take advantage of good workers, disrespectful, demoralizing, shameful place to work, overworked, severly underpaid. No bonuses or raises.

Listen to the "little people". Our opinions matter. Get your egos out of your butt and thank the people who actually do the hard work. Share some of your outrageous overpaid bonus money to the people who really deserve it. Show some respect.

Worked for SS&C? Contribute to the Community!