SSAB Svenskt Reviews

1. Hire contractors fire contractors

Former Employee - Contractor in Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Contractor in Lisle, IL

I worked at SSAB Svenskt

Pros

Most of the people are professional and nice. In Lisle it's a quality building and good environment

Cons

The IT department is a chop shop revolving door. Beware of promises of longevity many contractors are hired then fired within weeks. Massive turnover. Terrible architectural design laws enforced in IT. If you must work with this architecture it is a nightmare to orchestrate. They use Novell and Groupwise. They use personality tests to heavily measure your IQ and competence for employment.

Advice to Management

Understand that information and experience is important and try to retain employees.

2. bad experience with the local culture .

Former Employee - Operator in Oxelösund (Sweden)
    Former Employee - Operator in Oxelösund (Sweden)

I worked at SSAB Svenskt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Money :Money is now the only thing that attracts anyone to work in that company.

Cons

absolute destruction of their own initiative.

Advice to Management

do more to look after their staff capacity

3. beware

Former Employee - CNC BURNER in Delta, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - CNC BURNER in Delta, BC (Canada)

I worked at SSAB Svenskt

Pros

Good health benifits . good location

Cons

you have to know someone or be related to management to get anywhere with this company. the favoritism runs rampant. local management team is awful they have been found by the labor relations board to bully and use intimidation tactics on their employees. I was an employee there for 20+ years and feel used an abused. they are now running a scab crew behind a legal picket line , I doubt if they will be around locally for very long. they have become the laughing stock of the industry. wages are sub par. not near industry standards ..

Advice to Management

grow up

5. SSAB Production Operator Primary End Montpelier, Iowa

Former Employee - Production Operator in Montpelier, IA
    Former Employee - Production Operator in Montpelier, IA

I worked at SSAB Svenskt full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Financial Compensation, Health and Medical Benefits

Cons

The Employee is very restricted in regards to upward mobility and professional growth. The Management is untrustworthy and abusive. The Workforce is intimidated and submissive. The Management Style and the Hiring Practices are discriminative and nepotistic. I wasted ten plus years here only to get older, nothing more.

Advice to Management

Here’s my advice. If you want the company to grow, you must allow growth within the workforce. Allow employees to move up and encourage a professional development plan. Introduce a qualification strategy for the employee to obtain higher income or higher positions of responsibility. Give the workforce personal feedback. Don't hire your relatives, it is called nepotism! Treat all employees with respect, don’t bully them into submission. Trust the workforce. Promote and hire actual supervisors not (relatives or favorites), so if a conflict arises it can be handled properly and without discrimination. Just because the company pays well does not mean the management can be abrasive and abusive to the workforce. After ten plus years I left and found better working conditions.

6. Buddy System

Current Employee - Steel Worker in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Steel Worker in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at SSAB Svenskt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great benefits and great pay if you the person that wants to make your bosses rich and you have just enough for what you need to survive this is the Job for you. Bonus has been 75% plus since I been with the company.

Cons

-Buddy system when trying to move up, they don't look at what you have done or even your background, you will often have people in charge with a HS diploma and that don't have a clue about the process. The management are all drinking buddy's would have a problem with it if they were competent.

Advice to Management

-Let HR do the promoting and leave the Superintendent's out of the process because they only look out for their own friends -Need to do anther voice survey soon before all your experience people leave when new companies arrive in the area

7. Too much politics on top floor

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at SSAB Svenskt full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

High energy level on operational levels In the line functions, people are devoted to do whatever they can to serve the customers Excellent working atmosphere in the steel plant in Luleå

Cons

Limited mandate in managerial positons Too much top-down steering, no empowerment Politically infected top floor

Advice to Management

Develop the talents you have within the company rather than killing their enthusiasm with politically infected moves

8. Stuck

I have been working at SSAB Svenskt

Pros

Salary and Benifits are fantastic

Cons

No Growth Policy. Meaning where your hired in as is where you stay any new positions are given to people off the street

Advice to Management

Let us move around and grow within the company

9. Caster Operations

I worked at SSAB Svenskt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and work life balance

Cons

Limited advancement and no future pay raises

Advice to Management

They have their favorites

10. Professional and top notch

Current Employee - Manager in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Lisle, IL

I have been working at SSAB Svenskt full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent working conditions in Lisle. Superior benefits and competitive salary. True work/life balance. Overtime for salaried workers is rare. Congenial coworkers. I thought I'd clarify that they no longer use Groupwise and Novell. Transitioned to Outlook 2 years ago and no longer use Novell. Profit sharing. Top notch management and executive team in SSAB Americas. I've learned a lot from interacting with them. Quarterly employee meetings to explain financial results are very helpful.

Cons

Staffed fairly lean but management invests wisely in technology. Market for steel plate and coil (SSAB's product) is improving but not quite up there with fabricated steel and tube products. The economy is slowly improving.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to let some of the managers give part of the quarterly presentation instead of the same people. I would also like more training for manager/directors.

11. Great place to work.

I have been working at SSAB Svenskt

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Somewhat lower starting salary than competition.

RSS Feed </> Embed