SSCG Media Group Reviews

4.0
Debbie Renner

1. Happy to come into work everyday

I have been working at SSCG Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started my professional career at SSCG about a year out of college. I can't say enough how thankful and lucky I am to have been hired by this company when I was. SSCG built me from the ground up in the healthcare agency world. The company has a lot of extremely dedicated employees and the senior management plays a big role in the growth of the junior level employees. I truly feel like I have learned from the best in the industry.
    SSCG pushes you to think outside of the box and be the inventors of the future. We have implemented some newer technologies into the healthcare industry and continue to expand our innovations. I think its very important as an employee to be empowered like that.
    There are many opportunities to grow within SSCG and if you find that media is not quite your forte, there are opportunities to jump to other agencies within the CDM Group umbrella.
    The people that work here are great. I can honestly say I look forward to coming into work everyday, not only to get the job done, but to see and be around my co-workers. The company culture is awesome as well! We plan group outings and office parties as often as possible and always have a good time.

Cons

We do work long hours sometimes but its kind of a fun experience since most of your team is staying late. The company allows a dinner stipend and car ride home after you work a certain amount of hours in the day so that helps.

2. Nice Place

I have been working at SSCG Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits & perks, promotes work-life balance, laid-back office environment, offers education classes in different roles within the company, senior management is very hands off and doesn't micro-manage.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for growth, a lot of staff is very young & unprofessional, salary increases are very minimal. There is a lot of emphasis put on "grace", but very few people seem to exhibit it.

Advice to Management

Look into the senior management and assess who is really needed and who isn't, it seems like most of the underling staff does the brunt of the work for the company.

3. A great place to start or continue a career

Current Employee - Media Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Media Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at SSCG Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working at SSCG for a little bit over a year. The best thing about my job are the people who I work with. If you are coming in to an entry level position, you will soon find that all managers and higher ups are 100% willing to help you grow and learn. I have never once felt nervous or intimidated to ask questions. Training is very important and I'm pretty amazed at how much I've learned about the industry in the last year.

The benefits and health care coverage are all very impressive. The vacation days and days off are also incredible. There is a large break during the holidays and you even get your birthday as a vacation day! Also, during the summer we get out at 1:00pm.

Pharmaceutical media planning is also, in general, a pretty fun industry to be in. It's a "smallish" industry filled with fun, smart people.

I was once told that "People don't leave SSCG. They just continue to move up the ladder" and I really think that this is true. There are so many employees here that have created a career and a life for themselves at SSCG. They have started as coordinators or assistants and have moved up to be supervisors, vice presidents, ect.

Cons

If you are looking for a set 9-5, this might not be the place for you. There are going to be some late nights here and there, especially during planning season. However, if you work after 9:00PM, a car is provided to ensure that you get home safely.

5. Amazing place to begin/continue your career!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at SSCG Media Group (More than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoy coming to work each day because I work with such a great group of people. You feel like you are part of a family. Supervisors are always there for support and have your back no matter what. The department takes their core values of Substance, Style, Conviction, and Grace very seriously and it exudes through the work delivered. SSCG is constantly evolving and staying ahead of the times, always creating new opportunities for employees and challenging them. Managing Partner Debbie Renner, has been a mentor to me throughout my many years with the group. She is so approachable, hardworking, intelligent and caring. I can't imagine our group being where we are today without her leadership. The company is very generous with time-off (we get the whole week off Christmas-New Years!), Summer Fridays, Birthday off, encourages volunteering with GoodWorks program, and offers great benefits. Overall, amazing place to work!

Cons

You will stay very busy and at times (especially during planning season), there can be a few late nights. Otherwise, work-life balance is a priority.

6. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at SSCG Media Group (More than 10 years)

Pros

SSCG Media is a really a family. Employees' are cared about and treated extremely well. Managers have an open door policy and any time I have needed support or asked for help, they have been there for me. I feel I am set up for success and have the tools I need to do my job well. They have their employees' back! Managers work hard and lead by example. There is an opportunity to be exposed to all types of multichannel media which is exciting. We take advantage of tried and true but also are one step ahead and launch new offerings/technology. We are definitely considered a leader and experts in the field. We do things right and offer clients the best work possible and we have fun!

Cons

Not exactly a con but you will be busy, work hard and multitask.

7. It really doesn’t get any better than SSCG Media!

I have been working at SSCG Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I’m still blown away by this place. Everyone works so hard because they genuinely care about doing amazing work. The core values they talked about in my interview are “real” and not just lip service. I’ve been with several media agencies and have never been at a place that cares so much about their people, about fostering an environment of “good human beings” who respect each other, and about constantly evolving and improving themselves. They are way ahead of their competitors and I’m proud to be a part of it. Leadership is very forward thinking and works just as hard as everyone else -- if not harder. They really care - and it shows.

Cons

You work really hard. But then again, if you're dedicated and do a great job - there is huge career opportunity.

Advice to Management

Thank you!

8. Great Team

I have been working at SSCG Media Group full-time

Pros

Unlike other agencies, SSCG does not have a crazy high rate of turnaround. In fact, I believe the average tenure here is 3 to 5 years, which is almost unheard of in the agency world. And after working here, I can see why. SSCG's team is smart and hardworking (you will not find better experts in the healthcare media space), but equally, they know how to have fun and the leadership here is committed to fostering a strong, positive company culture. On top of that, they genuinely care about the work-life balance of everyone on the team, and are always able to accommodate your needs.

Cons

You stay busy, but the work can ebb and flow. Some weeks are worse than others, which is pretty standard. You just have to be flexible and aware.

9. Good experience at SSCG

Former Employee - Digital Media Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Digital Media Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at SSCG Media Group full-time

Pros

I had a good experience with SSCG. My advice for some one new working there would be to work hard and participate and it will pay off. Very reasonable hours- only longer hours during planning season. They really try to make the workplace a positive environment with events and some learning opportunities.

Cons

Communication and processes could improve. Its probably part of the growing pains of a small company expanding quickly.

Advice to Management

Each brand team, department, location functions a little differently for a small company so that could be the reason for some negative opinions and an area to work on. This company definitely has the opportunity to grow and succeed even more.

10. Black spot on my resume and maybe your too

Former Employee - Digital Media in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Digital Media in New York, NY

I worked at SSCG Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's really easy to get a job here because they don't know what they're hiring and if you stay 3 years you get to be called "vice president" of something and then you can hire people to do jobs you don't understand.

Cons

Personal Experience: My 3 bosses and 10 coworkers who thought they were my bosses all fought each other over the best way to destroy every campaign I ever created and if you work at SSCG, everyone outside the organization will question your competence because they assume the poor results being produced are being produced by you and they don't realize that everyone inside butchered your creations so your professional reputation will take a nosedive and you'll have no successful projects to put on your resume.

Advice to Management

If you don't understand a channel, then outsource the work to a company who does because this is better than the strategy of hiring a person to manage a channel and then ruining that person's work and future prospects with your need to have input and the channels which SSCG does not know are SEO, SEM, email and anything related to conversion tracking and attribution.

11. What are your values? Fair, Ethical, family, fun? Your in the right place then.

Former Employee - Digital Operations in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Digital Operations in New York, NY

I worked at SSCG Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Debbie Renner (smart) sets the tone of a fair, ethical, fun, and family supported work environment. They really care about you, and they work to see you succeed. Summer hours, lots of time off around the holidays, cool party's, free fruit, hands down best people on the planet to work with, Dave is awesome! Promote him!

Cons

Salary is not competitive with the industry, innovation is stagnant, clearly a "click" environment but if you are not in a click you still feel welcome and will excel with great work. This is a company you can retire with because the culture is so amazing. Ooh that is a pro... I loved this company and the people. I only left because of salary and my skills were not growing as the company is limited in what they can do.

Advice to Management

Look at where you want the company to be in 10 years NOW, and set aside some man power to get there. Do not just maintain the current business, be pioneers and look at where the industry is trending. The new business will not only allow you to be more competitive in your salary range, but also make you GOD's in the space. I want to see this company succeed!

RSS Feed </> Embed