SSE Reviews

3.7

SSE CEO Alistair Phillips-Davies
Alistair Phillips-Davies

A continuing adventure

Current Employee - Management Analyst  in  Havant, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management Analyst in Havant, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a family away from home, everyone is close knit and go through the good and bad times together. Always supporting each other and being their brother's keeper. Amazing benefits, a joy to work for.

Cons

Definitely need management training especially within the call centre where I started out, seems like nothing has changed. Very young managers each with their own rules which means the rules are not consistent throughout the company. This needs to change and I believe more training will benefit the long term goal and vision of the company that SSE strive for.

Benefits are great, training needs to improve a short term cost but a long term benefit. This should be invested in. There needs to be consistency within the company. I have worked here for 5 years and the same problems arise regarding management.

SSE intern over a period of 6 months

Current Employee - Generation Intern
    Current Employee - Generation Intern

I have been working at SSE full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good place to get a working experience in the generation business and to appreciate the challenges of energy generation.

Cons

No processes, not strong e-learning platforms, big generation plants are not coordinated, therefore the engineering practices can vary a lot. Engineering level is very low, even though I don´t know whether this is just from the facility itself or the sector (there are no processes at all for introducing new technologies, for assessing efficiency of the plant, etc.). In general, the plant at which I worked had a very poor engineering level and required very long outages every year to be functional in winter. Frustration and fire fighting were common and engineering bodies and chartership were not considered.

Improve the engineering culture. Bring people from other sectors with a stronger engineering culture (automotive, aerospace, manufacturing) to implement best practices. Set up central functions to create strategies across the business, promote charter-ship for engineers!!!

Not for me

Current Employee - Data Analyst  in  Havant, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Havant, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You can earn a good salary if you get lucky. The people are good to work with, often very helpful. The offices are usually very good with modern facilities.

Cons

Getting things done is difficult; there's a lot of red tape. Very bureaucratic company. Hugely disorganised in parts. Won't spend time/money/effort to do a job well and sustainably.

Employee the right people to do the right job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good work life balance, can be better by good governence.

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Havant, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Havant, England (UK)

I worked at SSE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Yearly salary increments and flexible approach to taking leaves. Safety culture is good, company prouds itself on being good at customer service which is good.

Cons

Very less social gathering and outings. Real hard to break out of norm and try to do things differently. Days weeks and years pass by doing same repetative stuff if you are not carefull and you may age on the same chair.

Provide groth opportiunities to employees.

Appalling behaviour by facilities managers

Former Employee - Facilities Management  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Facilities Management in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at SSE full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salary,pension,shares. Secure employment if your face fits

Cons

bullying, management disrespect for staff. Staff being earmarked for dismissal

Get rid of facilities management before a Pandora's box is opened. HR in Dublin collude with facilities management and ignore bullying, harrassement,and abusive behaviour by management in facilities.

life changing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Inverness, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Inverness, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time for more than a year

Pros

I get to go to work knowing i'm always progressing forward, always learning and always growing. I work with a great bunch of lads that look after me and are always there if I need any help. In my view there's no problems with getting time off as long as I let them know in advance. generally everyone has been extremely friendly to me.

Cons

It can take a while for things to get done in terms of getting the information your needing or equipment things like that. right now things are a little sporadic as we're a bit short of team members.

Consider improving the speed we get notified of important information.

Great company, poor middle management!

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor  in  Havant, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Havant, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time for more than a year

Pros

As long as you hit your targets and put in the effort you do get recognition and possible new opportunities. The company invest a lot of time and money on existing employees.

Cons

Due to a lot of pressure, some middle management don't recognise these individuals allowing for that work ethic and enthusiasm to go unnoticed, leading to loss in morale!

Get to know what motivates each of your employees and use this to generate good morale and results. Now what their goals and take a genuine interest in helping them reach it.

Twenty years of blood, sweat and tears

Current Employee - Billing Account Manager  in  Basingstoke, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Billing Account Manager in Basingstoke, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

My colleagues make every day enjoyable, and we all enjoy getting things done as a team, and making sure our customers get the best possible service.

Cons

The software we have to use is not always up to the job, and the management need to relax, and allow the experienced staff to use their own judgement whenever possible. Communication is key and making sure the staff have the necessary tools to perform at the required standard.

Use the loyalty and experience of your staff to your advantage, instead of encouraging them to leave (VER) and replacing them with young, eager but less experienced staff, who don't necessarily have the best interests of the company at heart.

Work hard and you can go far

Current Employee - Analyst Programmer  in  Havant, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Analyst Programmer in Havant, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great working atmosphere, people are generally good, obviously there are going to some poor ones. Staff benefits are really good and include, sharessave scheme where you buy share s at a 20% discount, shares sip buy 3 shares and they give you 6 free ones (yes 6 free!!), pension where at minimum they match but long service means I put in 6% and they 12%. Staff discount on energy bills, holiday plus so you can buy up to 2 weeks extra holiday, car lease scheme.......need I go on.

I started 14 years ago in the call centre, planned to stay 6 months....now work in It on £500 million project to deliver smart meters and earn 4 times what I did when I started. I have industry recognised skills and could probably go else where and earn more money but I love working for them.

Cons

Too many freeloaders whose managers are not strong enough to manage them out. Change can be resisted by those not engaged.

Contractor's are not always better value, make sure you take the time to review sse employees views before renewing contract. Create more junior positions to give progression to unskilled staff.

Great place to work

I worked at SSE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Job stability, staff discounts, share save opportunities,

Cons

In my department the management structure could have been better

Create a more regular open door one-on-one interaction with management

SSE Photos

Scottish & Southern Energy Depot, Malwood (Photo thanks to Geograph user Peter Facey, Some Rights Reserved)
Offices of Scottish Southern Energy, Vastern Road (Photo thanks to Geograph user Roger Templeman, Some Rights Reserved)
Scottish & Southern Slough Power Station (Photo thanks to Geograph user Chris Allen, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo

Worked for SSE? Contribute to the Community!