SSE Reviews

Reset
SSE CEO Alistair Phillips-Davies
Alistair Phillips-Davies

1. Old Boy Network

Former Employee - PMO Analyst in Havant, England (UK)
    Former Employee - PMO Analyst in Havant, England (UK)

I worked at SSE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The share scheme was beneficial if you intend staying

Cons

I have never worked anywhere that imposes if your face fits strategy. No matter how hard you work it wont benefit you if the senior management decide you are not in their gang. If you are, you can do the minimum, disappear for a couple of days (awol) and still be the best thing since sliced bread, get paid the top of your salary band for doing very litte.

Advice to Management

Take a good hared look at who is actually doing the work.

2. Only as good as you want it to be

Current Employee - Anonymous in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in London, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cycle 2 Work scheme and Retail offers.

Cons

Very wasteful on projects that are 'handed over', cost a fortune in £££ and then not rigorously tested or feedback asked for then ignored - ultimately leading to epic failure (meter reading handsets anyone?) Feedback from front lines often not listened to. Sacrifice everything for the bottom line. The words 'bed nights', 'training course' and 'Cos fuel expenses' strike fear into the hearts of senior managers with no experience of front line direct reports but have a Degree in the use of products made by 'Texas Instruments.' Manipulation using safety rules and performance related pay by poor managers is rife. Old boys network now diminishing where jobs were handed to people with little or no experience - a lack of compassion seemed to be mandatory. Lack of training for most Operational Managers due to the expense it creates and definitely no follow up on training that actually does exist; meaning knowledge is simply forgotten (what a shame). Over 50% of 'cost centre' managers have no idea what they are spending or earning for the business (what does THAT excel sheet look like or even mean?) There is no Welfare in many parts of the business so to speak of though often trumpeted by the leadership; the same leadership that lets other people do their jobs for them so they can remain a 'faceless podcast' and be ignored by the majority of a workforce whose morale is difficult to maintain. HR do a great job of protecting the company's reputation which is fair enough but they are almost useless at supporting managers who find it difficult dealing depression, anxiety, constant worry and a fear culture embedded across the business.

Advice to Management

Listen to people, really just listen. Avoid being reactive at ALL times and take an extra minute to consider when making decisions. Be a strong leader (often having to learn privately) and always seek advice from trusted colleagues. Treat everyone with respect and never use policy and procedure as a blackmailing/manipulative tool. Promote Teamwork at all times and set a high service level internally and externally as a personal goal. Keep a daily diary of what you do/achieve because an ineffective senior person will often challenge you on what you do in SSE; saying 'whatever comes my way' is probably not the best answer to give at that point (it happens). Forget about everything else - there will always be someone having a worse day than you - don't let them get to you.

3. Good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

Pros

Good environment. Nice to work

Cons

Salary ok ok . its fine also

Advice to Management

na

5. A stepping stone employer.

Current Employee - Apprentice Electrician in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Apprentice Electrician in Bristol, England (UK)

Pros

Extreme job prospects, loads of ways to develop my career. Working for a larger company means a more broad range of works. Health and safety is always a massive part to play

Cons

There is no overtime compared to other contracting companies of our size. The organisation and planning is poor. Always criticism to the work force and never the office force.

Advice to Management

Care more about the guys out working hard, offer more overtime and ask more for opinions

OK...

Current Employee - Senior Analyst Developer
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst Developer

I have been working at SSE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent salaries, good benefits and they seem to care about your safety and mental well being. Good career opportunities.

Cons

Very deeply nested corporate structure with lots of barriers and hoops to get things done. Some people are simply obstructive and add no benefit to the company.

Advice to Management

Create a more relaxed environment and culture for software developers. Developers need relaxed surroundings, peace, comfy clothing and lots of coffee to be creative and productive. Follow best practices more - code reviews, unit testing etc. Embrace change and stop saying "this is how SSE do it".

7. challenging

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Havant, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Havant, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I get on well with the people i work with, good pay, good benefits and perks in loads of different things, eg cinema tickets, buying bikes, cars etc

Cons

we don't get told what is happening until the last minute, if there is a decision being made, we are made aware that it is happening but then don't find out the results or there is a delay, staff shortages in certain departments, we don't get enough training for certain things.

Advice to Management

They should pass more information on to the lowest level when it is concerning their jobs.

8. Post nominals anyone?

Current Employee - Business Account Manager in Perth, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Account Manager in Perth, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a very secure employer and stable environment to work in. The people I work with on a day-to-day basis are a great asset and certainly make the working week more enjoyable. SSE also comes with good benefits such as pension scheme, shares scheme and depending on role, a company car scheme. The employment opportunities are there, you just have to go find them.

Cons

With regards to remuneration, I feel SSE do not pay the market rate when compared to comparable employers, which easily pay up to 20% more. No one can use post-nominals on business cards or emails. In an environment where credentials do matter, I feel they should be promoting the fact that they have chartered accountants etc in their payroll. Does good for a reputation. Over the top safety policies. Being safe is all well and good, but going beyond common sense, stops critical thinking when it comes to safety. I won't list them here, but whatever senior manager reads this will know what I mean.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. Don't make decisions on what you think is best without consulting the ground staff who know the job better than you do. Speak to your staff regularly. Sometime I have to bite my lip at the latest safety sound bite. Who makes this stuff up? Post nominals are a big thing not just for me, but for staff who have worked hard to get degrees, charterships etc. It is about time we allow the use of them to promote the academia of our organisation.

9. It project manager

Pros

Culture , people good work life balance

Cons

No definited career path

Advice to Management

Invest in employees

10. Good work life balance, can be better by good governence.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Havant, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Havant, England (UK)

I worked at SSE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Yearly salary increments and flexible approach to taking leaves. Safety culture is good, company prouds itself on being good at customer service which is good.

Cons

Very less social gathering and outings. Real hard to break out of norm and try to do things differently. Days weeks and years pass by doing same repetative stuff if you are not carefull and you may age on the same chair.

Advice to Management

Provide groth opportiunities to employees.

11. Customer service advisor

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good rates of pay for the job itself, especially for a call centre job. Health and safety is taken serious, very seriously at SSE. Always support if needed.

Cons

Far to many indecisive changes by management, the business demands change very quickly due to energy market. Difficult to progress without being favoured by management, many vacancies were not advertised but simply given to, popular members of staff. Office politics is excessive.

Advice to Management

Create a honest internal employment structure.

RSS Feed </> Embed