SSE

3.6

SSE CEO Alistair Phillips-Davies
Alistair Phillips-Davies

A continuing adventure

Current Employee - Management Analyst in Havant, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management Analyst in Havant, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a family away from home, everyone is close knit and go through the good and bad times together. Always supporting each other and being their brother's keeper. Amazing benefits, a joy to work for.

Cons

Definitely need management training especially within the call centre where I started out, seems like nothing has changed. Very young managers each with their own rules which means the rules are not consistent throughout the company. This needs to change and I believe more training will benefit the long term goal and vision of the company that SSE strive for.

Benefits are great, training needs to improve a short term cost but a long term benefit. This should be invested in. There needs to be consistency within the company. I have worked here for 5 years and the same problems arise regarding management.

life changing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Inverness, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Inverness, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I get to go to work knowing i'm always progressing forward, always learning and always growing. I work with a great bunch of lads that look after me and are always there if I need any help. In my view there's no problems with getting time off as long as I let them know in advance. generally everyone has been extremely friendly to me.

Cons

It can take a while for things to get done in terms of getting the information your needing or equipment things like that. right now things are a little sporadic as we're a bit short of team members.

Consider improving the speed we get notified of important information.

Work hard and you can go far

Current Employee - Analyst Programmer in Havant, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Analyst Programmer in Havant, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great working atmosphere, people are generally good, obviously there are going to some poor ones. Staff benefits are really good and include, sharessave scheme where you buy share s at a 20% discount, shares sip buy 3 shares and they give you 6 free ones (yes 6 free!!), pension where at minimum they match but long service means I put in 6% and they 12%. Staff discount on energy bills, holiday plus so you can buy up to 2 weeks extra holiday, car lease scheme.......need I go on.

I started 14 years ago in the call centre, planned to stay 6 months....now work in It on £500 million project to deliver smart meters and earn 4 times what I did when I started. I have industry recognised skills and could probably go else where and earn more money but I love working for them.

Cons

Too many freeloaders whose managers are not strong enough to manage them out. Change can be resisted by those not engaged.

Contractor's are not always better value, make sure you take the time to review sse employees views before renewing contract. Create more junior positions to give progression to unskilled staff.

SSE gets the 5 STAR work review from me!

Current Employee - Assurance in Cumbernauld, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Assurance in Cumbernauld, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the passion and work ethic of the individuals who work for the business and the fantastic support that you receive to develop your skills and prepare for the next step up.

Cons

Employee discount for Gas and Electric is still more expensive for me to go with SSE :(

Listen to your people, they are the HEART of the business :)

"Passionate, the will to succeed in a challenging environment"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Basingstoke, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Basingstoke, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Progression, team work ....colleagues are from all different walks of life with all different levels of experiences which makes it the more interesting.

Cons

I feel I am an exceptional manager with many different attributes which will help the progression of the Business unit I work in , however I feel I have been let down with career progression.

Trust in your teams and managers to lead and display a passion for 5* customer service and after care and deliver sustainable and efficient performance for our tomorrow which in turn will help our growth and retention.

One of the best jobs I've had

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Perth, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Perth, Scotland (UK)

I worked at SSE full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Traning, your team, friendly managers, great pay, easy hours.

Cons

get changed departments and teams quite a bit

Great company

Former Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in London, England (UK)

I worked at SSE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Provides all the training and support you will ever require!
    SSE have a "family" view when it comes to their staff. They provide a good working atmosphere and challenges are never short! Success stories were shared through "open door," a dvd sent out to all the sales branches.
    I was able to develop myself and progress up the food chain in a short period!
    SSE will always have a special place in my heart!

Cons

Being in the sales department, we worked long hours but that is just the nature of sales.

Interact and listen more to those at the bottom of the food chain.

Scottish and Southern Energy - How do I get a job there ?

Current Employee - Engineer in Inverness, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Inverness, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at SSE

Pros

Very enjoyble work environment. Opportunities for those who want them and work for them, regardless of qualifications or background. Potential job for life. Senior management see employees as their most valuable asset and treat them as such. Sharesaves and SIPS a fantastic benefit. Seen by outsiders as a "great place to work". Proud to tell people I work for Scottish and Southern Energy.

Cons

A bit too much red tape in areas when you just want to get something done, although they are addressing this and other issues in staff workshops.

Never forget how important the staff are to the business.

Metering operative

Current Employee - Meter Fixer
    Current Employee - Meter Fixer

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, 2 shares schemes, discounted energy, plus many more staff only benefits

Cons

Performance related pay, no overtime pay just toil

Great company, poor middle management!

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Havant, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Havant, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As long as you hit your targets and put in the effort you do get recognition and possible new opportunities. The company invest a lot of time and money on existing employees.

Cons

Due to a lot of pressure, some middle management don't recognise these individuals allowing for that work ethic and enthusiasm to go unnoticed, leading to loss in morale!

Get to know what motivates each of your employees and use this to generate good morale and results. Now what their goals and take a genuine interest in helping them reach it.

SSE Photos

Scottish & Southern Energy Depot, Malwood (Photo thanks to Geograph user Peter Facey, Some Rights Reserved)
Offices of Scottish Southern Energy, Vastern Road (Photo thanks to Geograph user Roger Templeman, Some Rights Reserved)
Scottish & Southern Slough Power Station (Photo thanks to Geograph user Chris Allen, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo