SSE Reviews

42 reviews filtered by
3.2
SSE CEO Alistair Phillips-Davies
Alistair Phillips-Davies

1. A caring passionate company with good strong values. It's commitment to it's customers as well as employees is perfect

Current Employee - Project Team Manager in Knowsley, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Team Manager in Knowsley, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The safety culture and it's approach to giving a world class service. The team work and encouragement from higher management, along with the benefits just makes this company the perfect work place

Cons

Unfortunately as a lucrative company, people will always want something for nothing. Our values of treating customers like family, though a good approach will always lead some customers to believe they can counter claim for the sake of personal greed, and as a rule I believe we sometimes spend more than is necessary to please customers.

Though we are going to spend a awesome amount of money on I.T. this year, something which we have been asking for sometime. I believe we could/should of invested years ago

2. Lots of opportunities

I have been working at SSE

Pros

A Great place to work

Cons

No real changes are require

3. Executive

Current Employee - Executive in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Executive in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great people, great culture

Cons

Nothing to mention on this

N/A

5. A continuing adventure

Current Employee - Management Analyst in Havant, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management Analyst in Havant, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a family away from home, everyone is close knit and go through the good and bad times together. Always supporting each other and being their brother's keeper. Amazing benefits, a joy to work for.

Cons

Definitely need management training especially within the call centre where I started out, seems like nothing has changed. Very young managers each with their own rules which means the rules are not consistent throughout the company. This needs to change and I believe more training will benefit the long term goal and vision of the company that SSE strive for.

Benefits are great, training needs to improve a short term cost but a long term benefit. This should be invested in. There needs to be consistency within the company. I have worked here for 5 years and the same problems arise regarding management.

6. life changing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Inverness, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Inverness, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I get to go to work knowing i'm always progressing forward, always learning and always growing. I work with a great bunch of lads that look after me and are always there if I need any help. In my view there's no problems with getting time off as long as I let them know in advance. generally everyone has been extremely friendly to me.

Cons

It can take a while for things to get done in terms of getting the information your needing or equipment things like that. right now things are a little sporadic as we're a bit short of team members.

Consider improving the speed we get notified of important information.

7. Work hard and you can go far

Current Employee - Analyst Programmer in Havant, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Analyst Programmer in Havant, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great working atmosphere, people are generally good, obviously there are going to some poor ones. Staff benefits are really good and include, sharessave scheme where you buy share s at a 20% discount, shares sip buy 3 shares and they give you 6 free ones (yes 6 free!!), pension where at minimum they match but long service means I put in 6% and they 12%. Staff discount on energy bills, holiday plus so you can buy up to 2 weeks extra holiday, car lease scheme.......need I go on.

I started 14 years ago in the call centre, planned to stay 6 months....now work in It on £500 million project to deliver smart meters and earn 4 times what I did when I started. I have industry recognised skills and could probably go else where and earn more money but I love working for them.

Cons

Too many freeloaders whose managers are not strong enough to manage them out. Change can be resisted by those not engaged.

Contractor's are not always better value, make sure you take the time to review sse employees views before renewing contract. Create more junior positions to give progression to unskilled staff.

8. SSE gets the 5 STAR work review from me!

Current Employee - Assurance in Cumbernauld, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Assurance in Cumbernauld, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the passion and work ethic of the individuals who work for the business and the fantastic support that you receive to develop your skills and prepare for the next step up.

Cons

Employee discount for Gas and Electric is still more expensive for me to go with SSE :(

Listen to your people, they are the HEART of the business :)

9. "Passionate, the will to succeed in a challenging environment"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Basingstoke, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Basingstoke, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Progression, team work ....colleagues are from all different walks of life with all different levels of experiences which makes it the more interesting.

Cons

I feel I am an exceptional manager with many different attributes which will help the progression of the Business unit I work in , however I feel I have been let down with career progression.

Trust in your teams and managers to lead and display a passion for 5* customer service and after care and deliver sustainable and efficient performance for our tomorrow which in turn will help our growth and retention.

10. One of the best jobs I've had

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Perth, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Perth, Scotland (UK)

I worked at SSE full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Traning, your team, friendly managers, great pay, easy hours.

Cons

get changed departments and teams quite a bit

11. Great company

Former Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in London, England (UK)

I worked at SSE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Provides all the training and support you will ever require!
    SSE have a "family" view when it comes to their staff. They provide a good working atmosphere and challenges are never short! Success stories were shared through "open door," a dvd sent out to all the sales branches.
    I was able to develop myself and progress up the food chain in a short period!
    SSE will always have a special place in my heart!

Cons

Being in the sales department, we worked long hours but that is just the nature of sales.

Interact and listen more to those at the bottom of the food chain.

SSE Photos

Scottish & Southern Energy Depot, Malwood (Photo thanks to Geograph user Peter Facey, Some Rights Reserved)
Offices of Scottish Southern Energy, Vastern Road (Photo thanks to Geograph user Roger Templeman, Some Rights Reserved)
Scottish & Southern Slough Power Station (Photo thanks to Geograph user Chris Allen, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo