SSE

Updated Jul 27, 2014

SSE CEO Alistair Phillips-Davies

Alistair Phillips-Davies

life changing

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Inverness, Scotland (UK)

ProsI get to go to work knowing i'm always progressing forward, always learning and always growing. I work with a great bunch of lads that look after me and are always there if I need any help. In my view there's no problems with getting time off as long as I let them know in advance. generally everyone has been extremely friendly to me.

ConsIt can take a while for things to get done in terms of getting the information your needing or equipment things like that. right now things are a little sporadic as we're a bit short of team members.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider improving the speed we get notified of important information.

Work hard and you can go far

Analyst Programmer (Current Employee) Havant, England (UK)

ProsGreat working atmosphere, people are generally good, obviously there are going to some poor ones. Staff benefits are really good and include, sharessave scheme where you buy share s at a 20% discount, shares sip buy 3 shares and they give you 6 free ones (yes 6 free!!), pension where at minimum they match but long service means I put in 6% and they 12%. Staff discount on energy bills, holiday plus so you can buy up to 2 weeks extra holiday, car lease scheme.......need I go on.

I started 14 years ago in the call centre, planned to stay 6 months....now work in It on £500 million project to deliver smart meters and earn 4 times what I did when I started. I have industry recognised skills and could probably go else where and earn more money but I love working for them.

ConsToo many freeloaders whose managers are not strong enough to manage them out. Change can be resisted by those not engaged.

Advice to Senior ManagementContractor's are not always better value, make sure you take the time to review sse employees views before renewing contract. Create more junior positions to give progression to unskilled staff.

SSE gets the 5 STAR work review from me!

Assurance (Current Employee) Cumbernauld, Scotland (UK)

ProsI love the passion and work ethic of the individuals who work for the business and the fantastic support that you receive to develop your skills and prepare for the next step up.

ConsEmployee discount for Gas and Electric is still more expensive for me to go with SSE :(

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people, they are the HEART of the business :)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"Passionate, the will to succeed in a challenging environment"

Team Manager (Current Employee) Basingstoke, England (UK)

ProsProgression, team work ....colleagues are from all different walks of life with all different levels of experiences which makes it the more interesting.

ConsI feel I am an exceptional manager with many different attributes which will help the progression of the Business unit I work in , however I feel I have been let down with career progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust in your teams and managers to lead and display a passion for 5* customer service and after care and deliver sustainable and efficient performance for our tomorrow which in turn will help our growth and retention.

One of the best jobs I've had

Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) Perth, Scotland (UK)

ProsTraning, your team, friendly managers, great pay, easy hours.

Consget changed departments and teams quite a bit

Great company

AREA SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsProvides all the training and support you will ever require!
    SSE have a "family" view when it comes to their staff. They provide a good working atmosphere and challenges are never short! Success stories were shared through "open door," a dvd sent out to all the sales branches.
    I was able to develop myself and progress up the food chain in a short period!
    SSE will always have a special place in my heart!

ConsBeing in the sales department, we worked long hours but that is just the nature of sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementInteract and listen more to those at the bottom of the food chain.

Scottish and Southern Energy - How do I get a job there ?

Engineer (Current Employee) Inverness, Scotland (UK)

ProsVery enjoyble work environment. Opportunities for those who want them and work for them, regardless of qualifications or background. Potential job for life. Senior management see employees as their most valuable asset and treat them as such. Sharesaves and SIPS a fantastic benefit. Seen by outsiders as a "great place to work". Proud to tell people I work for Scottish and Southern Energy.

ConsA bit too much red tape in areas when you just want to get something done, although they are addressing this and other issues in staff workshops.

Advice to Senior ManagementNever forget how important the staff are to the business.

Great company, poor middle management!

Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) Havant, England (UK)

ProsAs long as you hit your targets and put in the effort you do get recognition and possible new opportunities. The company invest a lot of time and money on existing employees.

ConsDue to a lot of pressure, some middle management don't recognise these individuals allowing for that work ethic and enthusiasm to go unnoticed, leading to loss in morale!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know what motivates each of your employees and use this to generate good morale and results. Now what their goals and take a genuine interest in helping them reach it.

Twenty years of blood, sweat and tears

Billing Account Manager (Current Employee) Basingstoke, England (UK)

ProsMy colleagues make every day enjoyable, and we all enjoy getting things done as a team, and making sure our customers get the best possible service.

ConsThe software we have to use is not always up to the job, and the management need to relax, and allow the experienced staff to use their own judgement whenever possible. Communication is key and making sure the staff have the necessary tools to perform at the required standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse the loyalty and experience of your staff to your advantage, instead of encouraging them to leave (VER) and replacing them with young, eager but less experienced staff, who don't necessarily have the best interests of the company at heart.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsJob stability, staff discounts, share save opportunities,

ConsIn my department the management structure could have been better

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a more regular open door one-on-one interaction with management

Worked for SSE? Contribute to the Community!