SSE

Updated July 27, 2014

3.6

SSE CEO Alistair Phillips-Davies
Alistair Phillips-Davies

Great company, poor middle management!

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor  in  Havant, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Havant, England (UK)

Pros

As long as you hit your targets and put in the effort you do get recognition and possible new opportunities. The company invest a lot of time and money on existing employees.

Cons

Due to a lot of pressure, some middle management don't recognise these individuals allowing for that work ethic and enthusiasm to go unnoticed, leading to loss in morale!

Get to know what motivates each of your employees and use this to generate good morale and results. Now what their goals and take a genuine interest in helping them reach it.

life changing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Inverness, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Inverness, Scotland (UK)

Pros

I get to go to work knowing i'm always progressing forward, always learning and always growing. I work with a great bunch of lads that look after me and are always there if I need any help. In my view there's no problems with getting time off as long as I let them know in advance. generally everyone has been extremely friendly to me.

Cons

It can take a while for things to get done in terms of getting the information your needing or equipment things like that. right now things are a little sporadic as we're a bit short of team members.

Consider improving the speed we get notified of important information.

Twenty years of blood, sweat and tears

Current Employee - Billing Account Manager  in  Basingstoke, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Billing Account Manager in Basingstoke, England (UK)

Pros

My colleagues make every day enjoyable, and we all enjoy getting things done as a team, and making sure our customers get the best possible service.

Cons

The software we have to use is not always up to the job, and the management need to relax, and allow the experienced staff to use their own judgement whenever possible. Communication is key and making sure the staff have the necessary tools to perform at the required standard.

Use the loyalty and experience of your staff to your advantage, instead of encouraging them to leave (VER) and replacing them with young, eager but less experienced staff, who don't necessarily have the best interests of the company at heart.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work hard and you can go far

Current Employee - Analyst Programmer  in  Havant, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Analyst Programmer in Havant, England (UK)

Pros

Great working atmosphere, people are generally good, obviously there are going to some poor ones. Staff benefits are really good and include, sharessave scheme where you buy share s at a 20% discount, shares sip buy 3 shares and they give you 6 free ones (yes 6 free!!), pension where at minimum they match but long service means I put in 6% and they 12%. Staff discount on energy bills, holiday plus so you can buy up to 2 weeks extra holiday, car lease scheme.......need I go on.

I started 14 years ago in the call centre, planned to stay 6 months....now work in It on £500 million project to deliver smart meters and earn 4 times what I did when I started. I have industry recognised skills and could probably go else where and earn more money but I love working for them.

Cons

Too many freeloaders whose managers are not strong enough to manage them out. Change can be resisted by those not engaged.

Contractor's are not always better value, make sure you take the time to review sse employees views before renewing contract. Create more junior positions to give progression to unskilled staff.

I loved working for SSE

Former Employee - BR Resolver  in  Basingstoke, England (UK)
    Former Employee - BR Resolver in Basingstoke, England (UK)

Pros

friendly staff that worked together in teams & some management are there to listen to you whether it be work issues or , the variation of different positions within the company kept the boredom at bay

Cons

managers are too young .. they may know their jobs but does not have any people skills, being a long term employer i encountered family illness issues & SSE did not support me, SSE pledge to look after their staff .

listen to your staff & make them feel that they are valuable as there were very few that did this to me

SSE intern over a period of 6 months

Current Employee - Generation Intern
    Current Employee - Generation Intern

Pros

Good place to get a working experience in the generation business and to appreciate the challenges of energy generation.

Cons

No processes, not strong e-learning platforms, big generation plants are not coordinated, therefore the engineering practices can vary a lot. Engineering level is very low, even though I don´t know whether this is just from the facility itself or the sector (there are no processes at all for introducing new technologies, for assessing efficiency of the plant, etc.). In general, the plant at which I worked had a very poor engineering level and required very long outages every year to be functional in winter. Frustration and fire fighting were common and engineering bodies and chartership were not considered.

Improve the engineering culture. Bring people from other sectors with a stronger engineering culture (automotive, aerospace, manufacturing) to implement best practices. Set up central functions to create strategies across the business, promote charter-ship for engineers!!!

SSE FOR THREE YEARS.

Former Employee - Linesman  in  Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Linesman in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Pros

Good money especially £44.50 digs more if on an island

Cons

"Celtic ,Rangers" mentality shamefully prevails in 2014 :(

Saftey should mean keeping your men safe not complying in order to cover yourselves.

Great place to work

Pros

Job stability, staff discounts, share save opportunities,

Cons

In my department the management structure could have been better

Create a more regular open door one-on-one interaction with management

SSE gets the 5 STAR work review from me!

Current Employee - Assurance  in  Cumbernauld, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Assurance in Cumbernauld, Scotland (UK)

Pros

I love the passion and work ethic of the individuals who work for the business and the fantastic support that you receive to develop your skills and prepare for the next step up.

Cons

Employee discount for Gas and Electric is still more expensive for me to go with SSE :(

Listen to your people, they are the HEART of the business :)

Excellent company to work for, fallen into a career.

Current Employee - Project Support  in  Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Support in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

Pros

Fantastic opportunities for progression, once becoming an employee there are unlimited benefits an intensives to perform.

Cons

As with many companies this size it is very difficult to prove yourself, and to be given bigger challenges and opportunities.

The company has already started to offer improvement courses to it employees, this is a great scheme, which I think could be built on, making these opportunities possible for more people who are dedicated to the company

Worked for SSE? Contribute to the Community!