SSI Group Reviews

James M. Lyons

1. Generally good people to work with

Former Employee - Technician in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Technician in Mobile, AL

I worked at SSI Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair compensation, supervisors were very understanding of non-work concerns, friendly coworkers

Cons

At times felt underutilized, work wasn't extremely exciting.

Has gone downhill in last year

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL

I have been working at SSI Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good co-workers, good pay. With all the recent layoffs, getting good equipment is usually not a problem, either.

Several old-timers have been leaving in a "brain drain," so good opportunities exist for new hires.

SSI has a lot of recurring revenue which will keep it afloat quite a while longer.

Cons

Very political: who you are and whom you're friends with matters a lot.

Management is very top-down; unless you are a manager, don't expect your ideas to be considered.

Agile development methodology is agile in name only. CTO is a micromanager who emphasizes process, documentation, and contracts — in direct opposition to the Agile Manifesto.

Recent (and constant) layoffs have taken their toll on morale. I think most people who are remaining are at least engaged in a passive job search. (The good pay, however, allows us to be picky, so that's a pro.)

Advice to Management

Is there a way to purge the new executives who have come in in the last few years? They are good at making friends and political alliances, but it's not clear that they have any record of success. Anyone who is a threat to their powerbase is being eliminated or marginalized, but I think old-timers like Mr. Lyons and Ms. Short — for all their faults — do have the best interests of the company in mind and do have some good ideas. I think the CEO means well and would be pretty good if he didn't have a cabal of connected subordinates who conspire against him to push their own agenda.

Could be something, but run by small minded good ol' boys

I worked at SSI Group

Pros

If you want to live in Mobile, AL (would have to have family there) you can do that and make some pocket change here.

Cons

Everyone in control is an absolute idiot. The people at the bottom are the most talented, intelligent people and are never given a chance to prosper because the people at the top are all hacks and worried about being replaced. Smart is the enemy.

Advice to Management

Russian roulete, alone. You only need to play 6 rounds!

By far the worst company I have ever worked for. Do not work for this company the culture and management are horrible.

I worked at SSI Group

Pros

I cannot even think of any positives to include here, the health benefits were good but you paid for them.

Cons

This company works in VB6, really? Yes really. Their software is poor quality, no documentation, management have some real issues between the different departments in turn this creates power play inside political drama. Everyone works under a lot of stress thinking they could be fired due to all of the layoffs 160 + when I left. The senior employees are miserable and they rely on them for training because "we no longer have the resources to train as we once did". Intimidation is a common practice by management for the teams in Client Services.

Advice to Management

Grow up, your unhappiness is infectious and affects everyone around you. The reason why many do not leave is because they have families and houses in the area and they do not want to uproot their family. Provide the needed resources for newly hired employees and invest in them as you should, SSI owes that responsibility to their employees.

Watch your back

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL

I have been working at SSI Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good location and good co-workers. When hired I was offered an opportunity to excel and acquire professional growth.

Cons

On the surface this company projects itself to be caring and with a common goal....for all to be part of one team. However the team that they protect is the management team and by that I mean UPPER management. The only training provided is the new hire training yet nothing on going. They offer "training" through a portal but it has NOTHING to do what we do on a day to day basis. Professional growth non-existent. VP's that make promises they can't keep because they lied about it in the first place. If you ask a question the answer you get is "why are you asking". Your opinion and input is not taken into consideration. Mr. Lyons theme is ONE TEAM yet in order for a team to be a true winner, the leaders must lead without personal agendas.

Ever since the new CFO took over the morale is at an all time low. People are being laid off left and right.

Advice to Management

I don't believe that CFO Mr. Terry Pefanis has The SSI Group, Inc. best interest at heart. You no longer have Mary Hyland, James Murphy or Sidney Weinacker and with that you no longer have The SSI Group that we all admired.

A true southern good ole boys club

I worked at SSI Group

Pros

Non, they treat everyone like dirt. Management goes around other management so there is no chain of command. You get a clear cup in orientation that you are expected to use instead of a soda can. They stress more care for the carpet then employees.

Cons

Everything, the place is a joke. No direction, no real leaders, HR is worse then the mafia. I would look somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Grow a pair!

8. Good company getting better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL

I have been working at SSI Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great improvements have been made in the office culture in the last year: casual dress, more flexible work hours, and, most importantly, management engagement in working to improve the company and the quality of life at SSI. Recent efforts have been made also to improve the quality of the workforce, which is much appreciated by the majority of hard workers at SSI.

As a software engineer, SSI is probably now one of the best places to work in Mobile.

Cons

I cannot speak for all departments, and my impression is that it does depend somewhat on which department you work in. Not all departments are as well managed as others.

Advice to Management

Continue the improvements begun in the last couple of years. When the employees feel like members of a team, they will work better and for the common good rather than just "doing their job." Let's make SSI a billion-dollar company!

Worst ever company to work with.. Worst worst..

Current Employee - Programmer in Mobile, AL

I have been working at SSI Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No Pros.. Worst management, Work work environment.. Hiring firing policy.. Worst project design..No work from home.. strict time in and out policy.... nothing is to praise.. If you like to grow in your career than pls pls dont join this company.. If you are out due to any reason for 1 hr than you have to send mails to all the managers about this and take permission..bcz they monitor you by different internal sources positioned in each team..

Cons

Advice to Management

Give respect to your employees and their skills... If not they you will soon fail and collaspe

Okay place to work

Current Employee - Programmer in Mobile, AL

I have been working at SSI Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is really laid back. No micromanaging.

Cons

Depending on the position you receive your range of activities may be limited. There is not much to say for training. They just give you the job and you have to learn along the way.

Advice to Management

Invest in creating a training regimen for all departments. The throw them in the water and swim method is not ideal for a formal institution.

Technical Positions

Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Mobile, AL

I have been working at SSI Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunity to get in with a growing technical company in the healthcare industry.

Cons

Office space is a bit cramped.