SSI Group

Updated July 31, 2014
Updated July 31, 2014
2.7

James M. Lyons

Generally good people to work with

Former Employee - Technician in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Technician in Mobile, AL

I worked at SSI Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fair compensation, supervisors were very understanding of non-work concerns, friendly coworkers

Cons

At times felt underutilized, work wasn't extremely exciting.

Watch your back

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL

I have been working at SSI Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good location and good co-workers. When hired I was offered an opportunity to excel and acquire professional growth.

Cons

On the surface this company projects itself to be caring and with a common goal....for all to be part of one team. However the team that they protect is the management team and by that I mean UPPER management. The only training provided is the new hire training yet nothing on going. They offer "training" through a portal but it has NOTHING to do what we do on a day to day basis. Professional growth non-existent. VP's that make promises they can't keep because they lied about it in the first place. If you ask a question the answer you get is "why are you asking". Your opinion and input is not taken into consideration. Mr. Lyons theme is ONE TEAM yet in order for a team to be a true winner, the leaders must lead without personal agendas.

Ever since the new CFO took over the morale is at an all time low. People are being laid off left and right.

I don't believe that CFO Mr. Terry Pefanis has The SSI Group, Inc. best interest at heart. You no longer have Mary Hyland, James Murphy or Sidney Weinacker and with that you no longer have The SSI Group that we all admired.

A true southern good ole boys club

I worked at SSI Group

Pros

Non, they treat everyone like dirt. Management goes around other management so there is no chain of command. You get a clear cup in orientation that you are expected to use instead of a soda can. They stress more care for the carpet then employees.

Cons

Everything, the place is a joke. No direction, no real leaders, HR is worse then the mafia. I would look somewhere else.

Grow a pair!

Good company getting better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL

I have been working at SSI Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great improvements have been made in the office culture in the last year: casual dress, more flexible work hours, and, most importantly, management engagement in working to improve the company and the quality of life at SSI. Recent efforts have been made also to improve the quality of the workforce, which is much appreciated by the majority of hard workers at SSI.

As a software engineer, SSI is probably now one of the best places to work in Mobile.

Cons

I cannot speak for all departments, and my impression is that it does depend somewhat on which department you work in. Not all departments are as well managed as others.

Continue the improvements begun in the last couple of years. When the employees feel like members of a team, they will work better and for the common good rather than just "doing their job." Let's make SSI a billion-dollar company!

Worst ever company to work with.. Worst worst..

Current Employee - Programmer in Mobile, AL

I have been working at SSI Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No Pros.. Worst management, Work work environment.. Hiring firing policy.. Worst project design..No work from home.. strict time in and out policy.... nothing is to praise.. If you like to grow in your career than pls pls dont join this company.. If you are out due to any reason for 1 hr than you have to send mails to all the managers about this and take permission..bcz they monitor you by different internal sources positioned in each team..

Cons

Give respect to your employees and their skills... If not they you will soon fail and collaspe

Okay place to work

Current Employee - Programmer in Mobile, AL

I have been working at SSI Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture is really laid back. No micromanaging.

Cons

Depending on the position you receive your range of activities may be limited. There is not much to say for training. They just give you the job and you have to learn along the way.

Invest in creating a training regimen for all departments. The throw them in the water and swim method is not ideal for a formal institution.

Technical Positions

Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Mobile, AL

I have been working at SSI Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunity to get in with a growing technical company in the healthcare industry.

Cons

Office space is a bit cramped.

A nice stepping stone for my career

Former Employee - Interface Developer in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Interface Developer in Mobile, AL

I worked at SSI Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people in my group were great. They were all extremely personable and easy to approach with questions. Often times they would allow me to just shadow them for hours to get a better understanding of how day to day operations and interaction with customers were to be handled.

My supervisor was pleasant and very understanding when I informed her that I was leaving the company (personal reasons).

Cons

- The compensation was very low. This was my first job out of college, but even then I felt the pay was well below average for entry-level development work.

- The equipment I was using was very outdated. I was given a single 13 inch CRT monitor that I was expected to do development work on.

- The first week I started I became very ill and ended up missing a day of work. This apparently displeased someone in upper management and resulted in a reprimand on my return back to the office. This didn't really make me feel very welcomed when I came back.

- Would be assigned numerous support calls through out the day, some of which would require countless phone calls and time spent trying to resolve issues that seemingly never were resolved.

Be more courteous to your employees, work towards defining a better career path for lower level employees that may want to make a career with your company

THE GOOD OLE BOY NETWORK IS ALIVE AND WELL AT SSI

I have been working at SSI Group

Pros

Decent benefits
    Name recognition of company in the industry
    No micromanagement
    If you're a relative or close friend of top management - you can get a job here with little or no experience and no worries about being fired
    Good security online (internet) and in building

Cons

Departments work alone. There is no "team" mentality
    Negative thinking management - distrustful of staff
    Company is reactive to clients needs instead of being proactive
    Management is almost always hired from within which means they have no management training

Have management learn how to manage employees successfully- Send them to management classes
    Individual departments need to work together

Not A Good Company to Work For

I worked at SSI Group

Pros

The location was convenient, and the office building was in good condition.

Cons

Management did not care about employees. The other downsides were the following: poor management, extremely low salaries, low employee morale, high turnover, lack of skill variety, monotonous job tasks, and no advancement opportunities.

Management needs to be more appreciative of the employees. Management also needs to be more accessible to and interactive with employees. Salaries should be raised significantly. Employees need to have access to a variety of applications in which they can develop more software skills. There should be more opportunites for employee growth and advancement.