SSM Health Care Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

2.9

SSM Health Care President and CEO Sister Mary Jean Ryan
Sister Mary Jean Ryan

Pros
  • Co-workers are generally pleasant and the work-life balance is very good (in 3 reviews)

• New nurses must go through special training program which is helpful to transition from clinical to work environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no loyalty to long time employees (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

SSM Health Care for many years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at SSM Health Care full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The opportunity to advance and to use my skills and knowledge to do meaningful work.

Cons

The right hand often doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Less internal competition and more collaboration.

Toxic Work Environment

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Janesville, WI
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Janesville, WI

I have been working at SSM Health Care full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A new hospital opened in 2012, adjacent to clinic. Many co workers are the best thing about this place. The environment is new and clean. All patient rooms are private.

Cons

Revolving door of management and staff. Staff to patient ratio is low. Leadership has their heads in the sand as to why employee satisfaction scores are so low. A cesspool of gossip and rumors, like living in a soap opera. If patient safety issues are reported, you're likely to be fired, even though there is supposed to be a "non-punitive" culture. Because of this, employees are afraid to speak up and most are looking for other jobs, as am I. A stressful environment for sure. Wages are low in comparison to other hospitals and insurance benefits are higher than the competition. Most of the best care givers have gone elsewhere because they either couldn't stand the environment of distrust, deception and lies, or they were run off by inexperienced managers who were fearful of losing their own jobs. Worst place I've ever worked.

Get rid of the top leader (president of the hospital) and things will likely improve.

If you are looking for a job, but do not need a paycheck, this might be exactly what you are looking for.

I have been working at SSM Health Care

Pros

I work at St Clare in ICU. My coworkers are the best. Teamwork is better here than in any other hospital.

Cons

Overstaffing. Over the past 8 weeks, I have been called off at least one shift per week, sometimes two. I have used all my PTO and now every day I get called off, its without pay. The call off system is flawed. They only call you off 4 hours at a time, so you are basically on call without any on call pay. I am looking for another job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Have lost their spiritual compass

Current Employee - Behavioral Medicine
    Current Employee - Behavioral Medicine

I have been working at SSM Health Care full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

good pay, good benefits, decent vacation and sick pay

Cons

misguided management, micro managing of employees, stressful work environment, you may or may not get your lunch

Instead of micro managing your employees you may want to weed out mid and upper level management who have had numerous complaints from your employees about them. Take heed to what they say.

Experience at SSM Healthcare

Former Employee - Senior Information Analyst  in  Mount Vernon, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Information Analyst in Mount Vernon, IL

I worked at SSM Health Care full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It's a good place to work.

Cons

They are spending a lot of capital on buying other hospitals leading to reduction in force.

Very employee oriented

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at SSM Health Care full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good middle and upper mngmt

Cons

As with any medical office, overworked.

Quit focusing on numbers and satisfaction surveys and focus on patient care. Although I do think patients here get excellent care.

Good place to start career

Current Employee - Staff RN  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at SSM Health Care full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Dedicated staff. New nurses must go through special training program which is helpful to transition from clinical to work environment.

Cons

Must go through Star Recruiting to get hired which takes a very long time. Long term employees are targeted for job eliminations.

Appreciate dedication of long term employees.

Excellent work environment

I have been working at SSM Health Care full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I think that the dedication to the patients is key and everyone seems to work as a team. Process improvement is of the things that keep this organization one of the best places to work hands down

Cons

Continued decrease in the amount of staff, resources, and finances push patient care quality in a negative direction. While staff work to care for patients with what is provided meeting the regulatory needs as well as customer satifaction goals is hard for many...

Organization experiencing financial panic = less staff and resources

I have been working at SSM Health Care full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People in the organization reflect the mission and values of the organization. Patient care areas put the patient first. Organization is about process improvement, accountability, employee engagement and good benefits and compensation.

Cons

Financial trouble, lack of prioritization throughout the organization, senior leadership changes, system leadership focus on micromanagement. Continues to reduce the amount of staff and everyone is struggling for resources. Revenue continues to decline.

Let the local teams work on the issues. Focus on realistic goals and try to understand the situation before making drastic changes. Many high performing employees are wanting to leave the organization out of fear.

Decent

Current Employee - Patient Access Representative  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Patient Access Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at SSM Health Care part-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity for growth within the company. They are flexible to people with families. They promote health and education.

Cons

The pay is only ok, the management tends to micro-manage

People who do not meet the quotas and quality standards need to be fired because they hold the department and company back.

Worked for SSM Health Care? Contribute to the Community!