SSM Health Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
SSM Health President/CEO Bill Thompson
Bill Thompson

Pros
  • Great culture and good work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• good pay, good benefits, decent vacation and sick pay (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not utilize their resources (experienced staff) in decision-making (in 4 reviews)

• The corporate management is too far away (St Louis, MO), and they seem to be out of touch with the local employees (in 3 reviews)

1. Manager

I worked at SSM Health full-time

Pros

Strong patient outcomes, strong mission, good people for the most part who work there. Have sustained through a difficult healthcare environment rather well. Focus on nursing and medical partnerships.

Cons

Higher level management is somewhat out of touch with current demands on direct staff, they have over developed shared governance and struggle with project management.

Advice to Management

Listen to the direct staff at a deeper level, pay attention to concerns voiced, don't breeze over issues and pat yourselves on the back like you solved them.

2. Happy

I have been working at SSM Health full-time

Pros

Great people are working there

Cons

I don't have any off the top of my head.

3. Not a horrible job....not a forever job.

Current Employee - Staff RN in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Madison, WI

I have been working at SSM Health part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. At the end of the day i feel I have given good care.

Cons

administration is out of touch with their staff. They have meeting after meeting trying to make that 'connection' but when staff share their concerns they are blown off. They only use evidenced based research when it works to their advantage. Also their unforgiving sick policy makes people come to work sick constantly. It is just nasty that my co-workers report to work with diarrhea and vomiting....but with such a harsh policy its hard to blame them.

5. SSM health

I have been working at SSM Health full-time

Pros

A Great paid time off and emergency time off program. Pretty good at promoting within. Awesome employees and co workers at just about every site, and good health care practices. Pension that you donor have to pay into, but has been reduced significantly in the past couple years.

Cons

High turnover rate in some crucial job function areas due to the fact that they pay very poorly and will not negotiate pay or increase pay if you further your education. Used to have amazing medical benefits but that has severely declined in the past couple years.

Advice to Management

Mid and lower level management are generally very efficient and knowledgeable in regards to the duties they perform and to the employees they are in charge of. Upper management seems only concerned with business expansion and cost cutting, generally by diminishing the benefits to their hard working employees.

SSM was,a great facility I loved the hospital atmosphere.

Former Employee - Phlebotomy Tech in Centralia, IL
    Former Employee - Phlebotomy Tech in Centralia, IL

I worked at SSM Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone in the corporate office did everything to help me when needed. They really stepped up when I was ill.

Cons

Department heads needed a little more focus on the employees. There's a lot of room for improvement in that field.

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees and their work load needs.

7. ssmhc

Current Employee - Culinary Specialist in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Culinary Specialist in Madison, WI

I have been working at SSM Health (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits: staring pay based on experience, excellent paid time off (23 days per year). Some good, quality employees.

Cons

Poorly run food service department. All department managers are barely competent or worse. The Executive chef doesn't communicate well, resulting in poor organization.

Advice to Management

Communication = organization. If staff knows what is going on and what is expected of them, they will not be stressed out and negative. Good communication and organization will result in higher morale and therefore, better productivity.

Great company

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Ballwin, MO
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Ballwin, MO

I have been working at SSM Health (Less than a year)

Pros

Great hours, excellent benefits, work life balance, everyone believes in the mission of the company.

Cons

Pay could be a little higher

9. Double Edged Sword

I have been working at SSM Health full-time

Pros

The people. People genuinely want to succeed and provide the best patient care possible. They want to live the mission statement and there is real passion for what they do. The organization does a large number of events to show their appreciation for their employees. The organization compensates well and has great benefits.

Cons

Very little communication from senior leadership. Often times things do not trickle down the levels. That leaves people unknowing what is going on in the organization. Large workload - unmanageable, but still expected to complete all tasks and additional ones as they come in. There is no respect for a work/life balance. For me, in my position, it is extremely difficult to take time off as I am expected to live around my work, not the other way around. Also, a history of ambiguity in people's roles makes it difficult to feel valued and successful.

Advice to Management

Improve communication to the entire hospital. Ensure that all workers have a manager or an advocate. The organization does a lot of things to try and show they value employees, but they don't improve communication on the basic level. Make sure your leadership team is not just talking the talk, but also living the mission.

10. Started amazing and has fizzled!

Current Employee - Senior Patient Account Follow Up Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at SSM Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Insurance, mission, company has focused on quality improvement through available trainings (department leadership needs to get on board though)

Cons

No promotions from within, management is focused on production by punishment, company no longer focuses on the employee

Advice to Management

Focus on employee development and hiring from pool of employees that are excelling! Increase communication between departments, some departments have no clue what anyone else does

11. Senior Accountant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at SSM Health

Pros

Worked with a lot of great people, many who believed in the mission. Decent salary and benefits. Great emphasis on training.

Cons

My situation was that I had responsibility without authority. This only worked when the people were cooperative. When cooperation went out the window, it became impossible to function.

Advice to Management

Match responsibility with authority, Take responsibility for mistakes you have made. Don't punish people who are attempting to make unworkable situations work.

RSS Feed </> Embed