SSOE Reviews

3.1
Bob Howell

1. Great place to work!

I have been working at SSOE

Pros

I have worked at SSOE for over 20 years. In that time, I have had tremendous opportunity for personal and professional development. The people that work at SSOE are some of the best! Everyone that I have worked with has been willing to share their knowledge and experience and that has helped me to have a full understanding of all the services we provide. Our client list is World Class! It has been exciting to see all the clients for whom we work -- it is impressive. Our former CEO just retired. He was one of the best leaders and left the firm in good hands. Our new CEO has laid out a new vision and is focused on the culture of our organization. Our Management Team just presented the results of our annual employee survey. They really listen to what the employees are saying and I have seem many programs and improvements implemented as a result of this survey. OveraIl, I think it is an exciting time to work at SSOE!

Cons

We all have something that may frustrate us about our employer on any given day. Overall, though, I am completely happy to work here.

Keep focusing on the culture and our employees! You are doing great and I can't wait to see where we will go!

2. Still growing on me right now

I have been working at SSOE

Pros

Senior management wants to do better

Cons

Opportunities for growth is limited

3. Good learning environment

I have been working at SSOE full-time

Pros

Wonderful co-workers. Large experience pool to absorb information from and learn from. Flexible working schedule. Not much travel needed depending on department.

Cons

Pay isn't very good. Insurance is OK, but seems to get a little worse every year. Work sharing some lower design aspects with overseas offices gets frustrating.

5. MEH

I have been working at SSOE

Pros

There is a job here.

Cons

The health insurance benefits aren’t that great. They say that they have health insurance, they do, but when you use it you are rejected. One of the guys in my office is out big money, because they denied his health insurance claims

6. Good Company

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Toledo, OH

I worked at SSOE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Day ends at 4:30
    Great people
    Nice facility
    Management treats employees well
    Necessary tools and technology made available
    Training opportunities

Cons

Need to offer more work/life balance. Many jobs can be done remotely, but it is only minimally offered to those who really, really push for it. Then the employees who come into the office every day have resentment toward the very few people who are able to work at home occasionally.

More discussions with lower-level employees to help establish a path for growth

7. Great opportunities for growth if you can bring in and maintain client relationships.

I have been working at SSOE full-time

Pros

Flexbility of working hours, benefits, co-workers. The rotation program for young staff provides an opportunity to work in different offices across the county and the world and also in differnet market sectors to allow individuals to find the right fit within the company.

Cons

Compensation, staff turnover seems to have increased recently, conflicting company values, Like any business proftability is important to the company but sometimes seems to be restricted due to some internal policies.

8. Ummm, This year we are going to try this...

I worked at SSOE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good benefits for retirement planning, decent insurance. My direct report was a good manager and mentor.

Cons

low salaries. Bonuses are considered part of overall comp, but are discretionary. You can meet all of your performance metrics and not get your bonus. No raises over 5 years, and "discretionary" bonuses made me feel like I was getting paid and valued less every year. Every year the company would roll out a new plan for management, which made me wonder, do these guys even know what they are doing? Yeah, our plan last year didn't work out, so this year we are going to try this! Embrace Change, continuous improvement, etc. Or....just taking guesses and hoping something will work?

Most of the management at this company has been SSOE employees for such a long time, they are not in touch with the competitive landscape, and are SSOE "Homers". They think they are going to win business because they are the best company in the world, and clients are willing to pay more because of their long history with the company.

9. My experience with The SSOE Group was one of constant growth and learning

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Toledo, OH

I worked at SSOE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As a Senior Project Manager working with a variety of food manufacturing clients, you were always learning how to execute projects per the different clients' requirements. Not only were you responsible for executing the role of an SPM overlooking SSOE's design group, you were many times fully responsible to take on the role of being the clients' project manager, having to fully plan, budget, request appropriations, lead their plant teams discovery and fully execute projects through the start-up and commissioning phases, with complete ownership and responsibility.

Cons

Extensive travel, needing to learn numerous clients means and methods with sometimes little to no preparation prior to being put in front of the client.

Be cautious of accelerated growth by acquisition. Senior management is getting spread very thin.

Typical Large Company Employer

Current Employee - Process Piping in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Process Piping in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at SSOE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people in the AT SBU.
    Company provides incentives.
    Gives bonus when they can.

Cons

Lower cost midwest culture.
    Doesn't seem to be longevity.....
    Recommendation is only if you are in need of a job.
    Not a first choice, by a long shot.

Be honest about what you are doing.
    Don't keep buying up companies & calling it mergers.
    ( It might open up new markets, but it isn't necessarily gining you market share )

Poor employer/employee relationship.

I have been working at SSOE full-time

Pros

The only pro I can think of is many of my coworkers are very good at their jobs and are dedicated to get the work done in spite of the work conditions.

Cons

If you like to be monitored continually then this is the place for you... How long you are away from your computer, How long your computer is idle, what your conversations are about with other coworkers, etc.

When you force people into a situation it usually does not work out well. If there were more opportunities it this economy this place would empty out over night.

SSOE Photos