SSOE

Updated August 11, 2014
Updated August 11, 2014

3.2

Tony D. Damon, AIA, PS

Great opportunities for growth if you can bring in and maintain client relationships.

Pros

Flexbility of working hours, benefits, co-workers. The rotation program for young staff provides an opportunity to work in different offices across the county and the world and also in differnet market sectors to allow individuals to find the right fit within the company.

Cons

Compensation, staff turnover seems to have increased recently, conflicting company values, Like any business proftability is important to the company but sometimes seems to be restricted due to some internal policies.

My experience with The SSOE Group was one of constant growth and learning

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Toledo, OH

Pros

As a Senior Project Manager working with a variety of food manufacturing clients, you were always learning how to execute projects per the different clients' requirements. Not only were you responsible for executing the role of an SPM overlooking SSOE's design group, you were many times fully responsible to take on the role of being the clients' project manager, having to fully plan, budget, request appropriations, lead their plant teams discovery and fully execute projects through the start-up and commissioning phases, with complete ownership and responsibility.

Cons

Extensive travel, needing to learn numerous clients means and methods with sometimes little to no preparation prior to being put in front of the client.

Be cautious of accelerated growth by acquisition. Senior management is getting spread very thin.

Typical Large Company Employer

Current Employee - Process Piping  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Process Piping in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

Great people in the AT SBU.
    Company provides incentives.
    Gives bonus when they can.

Cons

Lower cost midwest culture.
    Doesn't seem to be longevity.....
    Recommendation is only if you are in need of a job.
    Not a first choice, by a long shot.

Be honest about what you are doing.
    Don't keep buying up companies & calling it mergers.
    ( It might open up new markets, but it isn't necessarily gining you market share )

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company.

Former Employee - Construction Coordinator  in  Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Construction Coordinator in Chandler, AZ

Pros

Great Company to work for.

Cons

Project Manager needed to be more involved in Project.

Poor employer/employee relationship.

Pros

The only pro I can think of is many of my coworkers are very good at their jobs and are dedicated to get the work done in spite of the work conditions.

Cons

If you like to be monitored continually then this is the place for you... How long you are away from your computer, How long your computer is idle, what your conversations are about with other coworkers, etc.

When you force people into a situation it usually does not work out well. If there were more opportunities it this economy this place would empty out over night.

Great company to work for!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

Pros

Coworkers are great, very supportive managers, great flexiblity for working parents. Benefit and pay are good! Many opportunities for learning and growing.

Cons

The location of headquarters is not ideal.

Great, not perfect, company

Pros

SSOE is a great firm to work for. They treat their employees well. There are many ways for everyone to contribute to the growth and leadership. With a firm this size, perhaps not all groups have the same "culture" but my personal experience has been great. I started in a technical position, moved to a administrative position, and I'm in a hybrid type situation now. I've moved up and laterally which has allowed me to expand my career in ways I never even anticipated. It def a firm for people that are driven. You can crank out work and do fine, but you won't grow. There are a lot of "old school" guys that lament about the good old days when we didn't work overseas, or too far outside of a certain geographic area, but the company is outgrowing them as they retire or move elsewhere. The company is changing, and some people don't like it. I am one of the ones that do.

Cons

Not all groups share the same culture. There are some that are completely different. We were focused on culture and its importance a while ago, but it seems that we've accepted different as ok. I think more work needs to be done to set a standard of excellence across the board so we can retain good young, inspired people. Some of the old schoolers just complain and perpetuate negative energy throughout. They don't want to meet new clients, travel to work, work with our other offices. Upper management just keeps them on. There are a lot of new positions at the top that I don't understand, and the path to principal isn't clear. There are a lot in my group that report to people who aren't principals. So are principals leaders or not? It seems we were leaner before, but maybe that's what happens when you are poised for growth.

I say get rid of the naysayers and let's get back on track. Try harder to get people on board with the growth plans, or realize they aren't a good fit for the otganization.

SSOE a great place to grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

Pros

Making a career at SSOE has been great. The people are down to earth, friendly, hardworking, and energized. The leaders I work with are easy to approach and usually respond favorably to input and new ideas. If they don't move forward, I usually hear why and it seems to at least be reasonably considered. My job title hasn't changed much, but my job has - so I've grown in my own career. I don't know if this is true throughout the company. I've heard stories that don't sound like the same company. My personal experience is very positive. The bigger the company, the harder it is to make sure everyone is telling the same story. They do an adequate job of recognition. Although their pay is lower than competing firms, they do a better job of sharing the profits in good times than most.

Cons

The pace of growth has been a bit overwhelming. Some of the processes make my job more challenging, the communication with staff could improve (although they recognize this, and are trying to remedy), and there are some leaders that I would consider "dead weight" - I see that in other organizations, so it's not unique. I think we are tripping on ourselves currently, letting the growth from the past few years catch up with us. There are some people that have been there a while that don't believe in the growth, and don't like the way the firm is changing. Some of these are leaders. The main office is in a bad part of Toledo and the offsite parking is in a worse part of town. The security is a joke. But you can move your car after 4 to be closer to the building.

Don't slow down. Keep good employees happy. Remove leaders that aren't on board.

Conservative, but solid firm. Catching up with fast growth.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

Great benefits, refreshing to see that there is a firm out there that still cares about it's employees. They actually bonus their staff before they bonus the owners. I understand that their senior management have been on a salary freeze for two years, but general staff has not been. The aren't afraid to try new things, enter new markets, listen to feedback, etc. For employees that work hard, and understand their impact to the bottom line, it will be a great place to work. Slackers need not apply. Tony Damon specifically is a great leader. He is approachable, likeable, direct, and low-ego.

Cons

Growth through acquisitions has obviously helped firm grow, but the firms they acquire are of questionable value. They consist of one trick ponies, or struggling firms. They assume the management in place is strong so they haven't replaced the management with people that share the culture of caring for their employees, or strong business practices. There is little room to move for admin staff, so it may be difficult to retain top talent. Pay, in general, is tied to company performance, which in good years works well. In general, pay is below industry. Their conservative, midwestern roots don't necessarily translate well into a global organization, but the firm is growing so that will likely evolve as well.

Take the time to nurture the employees of the mergers and acquisitions. Don't assume strong management was in place when you purchased the firms.

SSOE out for themselves.

Pros

Great coworkers, hard to hear how some of them are living because of such low pay. This is a company that overlooks what the people around them are doing. Even the clients and competitors have been aware for a long time.

Cons

Lack of trust in management among employees, overworked and underpaid. Hourly paid with no time and half, only regular pay.

Employees paid the standard pay in the industry can contribute to local economy and as

Worked for SSOE? Contribute to the Community!