SSP UK

2.1

SSP UK CEO Kate Swann
Kate Swann

Good Entry-level Job

Current Employee - Storeman in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Storeman in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at SSP UK full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Multi racial company. Good experience for someone who just started work.

Cons

Management not really great in prioritising in terms of Stores department are concern.

Should focus more on the well-being of the worker.

Why not to work for ssp. In my opinion

Current Employee - Retail Supervisor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Retail Supervisor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at SSP UK full-time (more than a year)

Pros

many location, many different brands, easy place to get a promotion.

Cons

No real structure from managing cleaners to managing staff and stock., team moral is almost always low,

Learn and understand that shop floor emotion directly affects sales.

Awful company where only the big players reap the rewards

Current Employee - Staff Member in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Staff Member in London, England (UK)

I have been working at SSP UK

Pros

not much to be honest.

Cons

Working at SSP for almost 4 months now. The pay is minimum wage while working at a SSP franchise branch of M&S, considering how much profit is made that is diabolical for a company to pay so little. The staff also get a 15% discount which at M&S while working minimum wage they should not have bothered with the discount.

However we used to get free lunch, this was taken down to give us a discount card, shortly after I had found out the managers got a bonus on their pay check for the removal of a free staff lunch (funny how this was never mentioned to the other staff). This company is all about greed, greed and more greed. The people reaping the rewards of your hard work are the managers and higher up. SSP don't even internally train their own managers, they bring them over from other places to save costs on training, which means less chance on you moving up the company. Shops are constantly understaffed (to save costs again). I've worked at McDonald's and I would go back in a heartbeat.

read cons for advice.

Company will employ anyone who needs a job and will give you an opportunities to progress with your carer.

Current Employee - Team Leader in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in London, England (UK)

I have been working at SSP UK full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Really good place to work for people who lack education and want to work and learn and progress. Also for thouse who need visa, or have to find quick income. Be warned, if you have an experience and looking for your next carrier progress don't get on the hook what they advertise. Very soon you find out that nearly every proud employee has very low standards or never had a better job. The rest just survive it and look for another job as soon as possible. Especially I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone who ends up in M&S brand thinking it will be similar to the original brand, there is nothing similar to it.

Cons

Staff members have unpaid 30 minutes brake for 8 hour shift. Might have to buy your own uniform while it is ordered, most likely there will not be locker for your belongings, but there is always safe where you can store your valuables or even cctv in the staff locker room, or you can rent it out in some units.

Team Member

Current Employee - Team Member in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Member in London, England (UK)

I have been working at SSP UK part-time (more than a year)

Pros

this company only work for money and nothing else.

Cons

No benefit to employees at all !!!

Practice what you preach

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at SSP UK full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Busy environments, you will always have something to do, some great people, discount scheme, uniforms provided, all the right tools are there

Cons

Leadership is extremely poor, which filters down to all levels in the units. Management is hypocritical, bending and changing policies to their own ends and ignoring their own greatest resource - their people. Hiring is completed by other staff members, not management. Communication, training, scheduling, maintenance, cleanliness are all terrible. One of the best facets of working for a company that produces food was the free meal policy for on your break. This has since been taken away from staff in order to increase profits.

I was 'sold' on welcome meeting, so much was said, and there seemed to be so much going on that was positive. The reality in the units is that there is a huge amount of negativity, poor leadership and poor management. There is so much red tape that nothing gets done, staff are miserable as they don't feel involved in the units, and good staff get persecuted for being one minute late when others get away with being four hours late. These comments are the tip of a very large iceberg. Before I joined SSP, I read comments online, and chose not to believe the comments that were posted, having been sold on the hype. To anyone reading this, I implore you, please take what I have written seriously. I wouldn't wish my experience on my worst enemy.

Avoid

I worked at SSP UK

Pros

you get paid
    could be so much better

Cons

No Training
    ridiculous targets
    politics
    treat employees like animals
    underhand practices

follow your own mission statements in your glossy booklets,

Giving it time.

I have been working at SSP UK full-time (less than a year)

Pros

So far working time arrangements have been acceptable.

Cons

Training needs to be managed more effectively.

Successful company who are knocking the fun out of themselves.

Former Employee - Unit Manager in Newbury, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Unit Manager in Newbury, England (UK)

I worked at SSP UK full-time (more than a year)

Pros

At the start there was a lot of great things happening at SSP which really involved the staff. Recipe and baking competitions, the company magazine and they were forward thinking, since Kate Swan came along they have been shrinking and cutting all the employee benefits.

Cons

Difficult hours, lots of ridiculously early starts and very long shifts. Not much support and all the area managers are being laid off so there is even less now. The products are getting cheaper as they change suppliers to benefit the bottom line.

Get back to what you do best.

A exuberant experience working with Waterloo being part of SSP.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at SSP UK part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I was given flexibility to perform my work and that gave the best output and the most importantly my boss was great visionary who had faith and trust on my potential and gave me opportunity to explore and grow and discover my potential for future.

Cons

For an foreign national, who gets the work visa must be given a better compensation not just to survive but to support themselves enough so that they can give the best.

Time-off policies and Compensation should be the point of discussion.