STA Travel

Be The First To
Add Photos

Peter Liney

Overal Positive Brand Ambassador Experience

Brand Ambassador (Current Employee)

ProsYou're given a lot of range with what you can do with this internship.
    It can either be a lot of nothing (posters, flyers around your campus) or something more exciting.
    The other Brand Ambassador and I would come up with more marketing ideas and put them in action.
     I was able to use the computer booking sytem and act as a Travel Expert when one of the staff had been out for quite some time
    Perks: travel vouchers at the end of the semester! I held this position the maximum 2 semesters in a row.

ConsNot a lot of guidance
    I wish this internship had more structure! This x10.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to have a Brand Ambassador internship-type program, keep it structured and maintained better.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Senior Travel Advisor

Senior Travel Advisor (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsGreat travel benefits and health benefits

ConsNot much room for growth besides manager

An OK Employer for Mid-Term Employment, Short- and Long-Term Get Shuffled Out

Travel Advisor (Former Employee)
    Chandler, AZ

ProsLax atmosphere and training provided, set schedules and solid structure. Adheres to state laws regarding breaks and lunches, will not over-schedule or under-schedule.

ConsEntire departments are known to be closed without warning, rampant favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure your marketing team, they have lost money hand over fist with past sales because they don't recognize marketing channels for your demographic, and fail to see simple complications that set a sale (such as when it ends! horror for your call center team advising a customer the sale actually ended 8 hours prior, arguments ensue and money is WASTED).

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good but need more $

Chandler, AZ

ProsGood atmosphere and good people

ConsPay is not so great

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key

Haven't left even for more $ offers

Programs Travel Agent (Current Employee)

ProsFreedom and flexibility
    Coworkers
    Openness with management

ConsLittle room for advancement
    Pay raises minimal
    No tuition reimbursement

Bottom of the barrel

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

Pros* Good travel benefits for top performers
    * Ability to help people plan amazing travel adventures.
    * Young environment; generally fun, social work scene

Cons* Limited capabilities at a management level, particularly for branch managers.
    * Basically no training beyond the initial 2 week introductory period
    * Ridiculously low base salary, particularly for the urban branch offices (low 20s/year). Yeah, you can get a decent amount of money in commissions, but there's a lot of outside factors that will impact your ability to sell (hello, economy?)

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen I left, the feeling in the branches was that people are working for a sinking company. The products sold weren't t as good as they used to be. Customers can easily go direct. The direction of the company was unclear, and certainly not communicated to the team members.

Invest in some management talent to develop a clear strategy for the company. Invest in people.

A fairly fun job for too little money

Travel Advisor (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsWorking with students to plan trips around the world, travel benefits for reaching set goals, etc.

ConsNot being able to afford to travel yourself, low wages based on commission (good luck getting a decent amount of that...managers get a cut of your commission).

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile the overall happiness is pretty good here, I can't imagine anyone wanting to make a life's career out of STA travel. Do something to change this, otherwise the company flounders and dies.

The perks are great - they get better if you somehow manage to meet your target

Travel Expert (Former Employee)
    Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsIf you have a real passion for travel and a flare for sales, you'll thrive at STA Travel and will receive huge discounts on trips you can take during your holidays. Family members and friends can also receive discounts that come out of yours and the store's revenue. It is a day time job and usually co-workers and managers are relaxed, understanding, fun-loving people that have travelled extensively. The training program is 2 weeks at a training centre which is great and very useful, you meet lots of employees from different branches. There is follow up training after 3 months instore which is a huge learning curve. The managers don't have a monthly target to meet and so are solely there for motivation and to help the team that are selling - the manager in my branch was fantastic at his job.

ConsMost tours included in the perks are much longer than the annual holidays you are allowed. Depending on what branch you work in, targets can be very hard to achieve - competing against other companies such as flight centre, websites such as 'sky scanner' and often STA's own website!! If you don't meet your target you receive only your basic salary - which is very little for a basic 'Travel Expert' about 12,000 per annum after tax. You are contracted to work 10-6 but most employees stayed until 7.30pm at the earliest every night to finish flight quotes accrued during the day. Staff are not paid for the overtime as it says in the contract that staff should be able to follow up on all custom between the hours of 10am and 6pm.. which, on a busy day, never happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe staff should be paid more and they will work even harder, if they earned a percentage of the revenue they make (even if they don't meet target) they will feel more positive and less defeated if the monthly target looks unachievable - which it very often does!!

Confused and disconnected but excellent products and employees

Student Ambassador (Current Employee)
    Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

ProsRelaxed hours, good discounts and not a hard product to sell.

ConsThe confusion between store managers and product managers etc. Communication needed

Advice to Senior ManagementPut the store managers in charge and you will get far better results.

It's generally okay, but has its moments

Travel Expert (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsTravel allowance £500 per year
    Relaxed store setting
    Opportunities to travel on 'Fam' trips.

ConsNo communication or working together between teams - small things take ages to sort out.
    Taking on other departments roles with POS. Not only do you have to deal with store customers, you also need to service internet, call centre and global travel help enquiries - there's sometimes not enough hours in the day, which is why we find ourselves working much longer than we are paid for!

Training is BAD - having to deal with challenges you are not trained in - just leads to more problems down the line.
    Extra things added to into targets make hitting them harder.
    Too wide spread of shifts, from 9am to 8.30pm incl all weekends - there is NO work / life balance!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease sort the training out and the mis-management of duties that is unevenly spread to point of sale staff.
    Scrap the disaster that is the Multi Flex pass - it degrades us as a company and stops repeat custom and makes us a joke of the travel industry - take it from someone that's on the front line - it is complaint, after complaint and complaint - daily, which gets in the way of doing our job - talking about and selling travel!

Worked for STA Travel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at STA Travel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for STA Travel CEO Peter Liney. All 44 reviews posted anonymously by STA Travel employees.