STAR Education

Katya Bozzi

Best Education Non Profit in LA

Current Employee - Department Head in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Department Head in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at STAR Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working for STAR and with STAR is a real treat. Their programs help improve the lives of children all over Los Angeles. The office atmosphere is very laid back and everyone is very friendly. All of the employees are helpful and engaging! I have learned tons about managing people and organizing events working for STAR.

Cons

The parking at the offices is very limited and you must own a car to work for them as the schools are all over Los Angeles.

Please buy more parking space!

Wonderful and enriching work, inconsistent leadership

I worked at STAR Education as an intern

Pros

Enriching work and work environment, great programs that reach a lot of kids especially in under served communities, great staff, fun work

Cons

Inconsistent leadership and unorganized events

Plan events farther in advance to save money and be more organized, cause less stress

I feel like I am contributing to something bigger than me, and helping to make other people's lives better.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I have been working at STAR Education full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Every day is a new challenge. I invite the variety problem solving skills necessary to preform my job. I have learned a lot about myself, and what I am capable of because I work with a dedicated and diverse team of people who are willing to hold each other accountable, and tow the line.

Cons

Sometimes life is stressful, but it is always rewarding. However, the incentives for employees to stick around for the long term are not very enticing. There is a high turn over rate among the instructors that work for STAR, but not everyone is committed to education and being an youth mentor.

Expectations are difficult to fill when you don't have the tools necessary to complete the task.

Great Place to Work For the Most Part

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at STAR Education

Pros

Amazing place to work with great mission and wonderful people

Cons

Communication and planning; many things would get done sooner, smoother, and cheaper with greater attention to both.

Overhaul the corporate structure and communication system

Inconsistent

Former Employee - Instructor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Instructor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at STAR Education part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and you'll get to be very comfortable after a while. The other employees are usually willing to help you out if need be.

Cons

You can't expect much work unless you try coaching,subbing,teaching multiple classes all of which can be really inconsistent in terms of scheduling and hours.

Tons of nepotism. Everyone is friendly enough but you'll come to learn that other people are usually working much more comfortably than you are.

make sure you've got schools that will commit, I'm sure that goes with out saying but there's just to many people looking for work that have to find all sorts of round about ways to make a paycheck, like teaching wood shop when your speciality is sports, art, science etc.

Great employees but needs better organization

Former Employee - After School Teacher in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - After School Teacher in Culver City, CA

I worked at STAR Education part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Teaching the classes is by far the best part of the job. The lessons and classes are always fun and enriching. All supplies are provided. Fellow teachers are amazing. Ability to teach the class as you choose.

Cons

Disorganized at times, things go missing, a lack of accountability generally.

The kids are what make you stick around... Despite working few hours for little pay

I have been working at STAR Education

Pros

Being given the opportunity to teach standards based material that is focused on fun. Classroom instruction is run formally, but you also get the chance to play and enjoy lots of much needed recreation with the kids. This job provides great experience if you are working towards becoming a certified teacher. The satisfaction you get from this job will come solely from the relationships you build with the children and families.

Cons

This is not a job to keep long term. No possibility of a raise or increased hours. You are expected to write curriculum that often requires time outside of the work day; they say that you need to do curriculum on site but then don't provide the time to do it. Sites are often understaffed, causing stress and strain on the available staff. They hire mostly high school graduates / college students and it shows. Much of the staff lack common sense and/or simply don't care enough about the job, leaving most the work to those who do.

Reward employees that are responsible and trustworthy with raises or bring back the head teacher position.

Great mission, not so great upper management

I have been working at STAR Education full-time

Pros

The company spans most of southern California, so it makes a huge impact. The programs are well thought out, and the children are the main priority. Unique and passionate instructors and lessons, and its clear that everyone here is good at, and cares about their job.

Cons

Employees are under-compensated, and under-stimulated, and often stressed out. Upper-management seems paranoid.

good oppurtunity to get teaching/ child care experience but thats about it

I have been working at STAR Education

Pros

brings good experience working with children

Cons

poor work schedule and not enough resources given

positive

I have been working at STAR Education

Pros

Opportunities, challenges, flexibility, team environment

Cons

I do not have anything to say

STAR Education Photos