STARA Technologies

Updated December 29, 2014
Updated December 29, 2014
1.9

Colin Mccavitt

Great place to work, just lack of direction from management led to no work.

I worked at STARA Technologies (more than 3 years)

Pros

Close group of people who work well together. Excellent product that exceeds expectations.

Cons

Lack of managements ability to understand and address a changing business atmosphere. Lack of respect for employees by laying off with no notice.

Use your employees abilities and ideas to help you create new products. Layoffs may be unavoidable but give enough notice so that they may make arraignments to take home their gear and say goodbye before you give them the "perp walk" out with a box in their hands.

Poor Management

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer

I worked at STARA Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The salaries are competitive and the dress code is casual.

Cons

Company has great potential, but that potential is ruined by the unbelievably, untalented employees that happen to either be related to the owner or are very good friends with him. There are employees who literally wear stripper heels and hot pants to work. I actually looked in their offices to see if a stripper pole was in place.

Sell the company to someone who knows how to run a successful business. Management is run by either engineers with limited social skills and minimal marketing talent or by family relatives and friends who have no background in running a defense contracting business.

Good people, Family Company

Current Employee - Fieldl Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Fieldl Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at STARA Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people willing to work together. X Employees are giving a bitter view of a good company here. The people I work with here are all capable, intelligent and willing to work hard for success. This is a good place to work and very safety minded.

Cons

Dangerous market, contracts are limited.

Be flexible and pursue every avenue of approach for possible contracts.

Very good, and very bad.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at STARA Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People there are very friendly, and I was amazed at all the technology and engineers to get things done. Was a great place to work.

Cons

Family runs this company. So family will stay no matter how competent they are. Some of the leads there will stay in the office and play video games all day long. Should have been fired a long time ago. There is a real "It's not what you know, but who you know attitude."

Kiss butts will not keep the doors open. Hard workers will.

Blind Leading the Blind; If they only knew!!

Former Employee - Accounting/Finance in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Accounting/Finance in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at STARA Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A COO that has led the Company to the edge of the cliff
    An owner that has surrounded himself with incompetence
    Unfortunately these are the Pro's

Cons

When all you are left with is a group of employees that would not get hired by any professional organization, you wonder why there is no business on the horizon.

What seemed to be a strategic move to bring in an industry expert as their COO to expand their customer base and market has not only backfired, they are no longer a player in the market. It is also unfortunate that the COO is also on the payroll of a competitor with a mission to take STARA out of the market and eliminate a competitor. If I was to tell my management that I traveled the world, spent millions of dollars on marketing, taken my company out of the core market we were known for, and after 3 years showed nothing for it, I would be fired immediately. Congratulation owners, Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles would be proud of you

I hope these rats can swim!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at STARA Technologies full-time

Pros

Could have been a great company had the owners not hired Yosemite Sam to run their company into the ground and burn their cash. Great laid back culture.

Cons

Going out of business soon. Great talent and potential and office culture wasted by oppression of the competent, nepotism, and putting barely sentient fitness instructor types into management. Decisions made by cliques behind closed doors. Egos reign.

None of you (except maybe the relative newcomer) deserve to even be managenent. None of you know what you are doing as evidenced by exodus and layoff of real talent and current swan dive into concrete you are performing for your company. Learn how to lead. Go back to school. Start over.

Ready, Fire, Fire, Fire, Fire, Aim.

I worked at STARA Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Casual dress code.

Cons

The man at the helm is a small man, both in stature and respectability. Follows advice of those that are inexperienced and/or those who look good in a skirt. Keep away from HR, as anything you say will be told to company owners. Strong people, who were trying to do the right thing have been summarily dismissed. Of course, if you can keep from attracting attention to yourself, you can stay employed for a long time without having to do anything.

Break the company into itty, bitty pieces and sell it off. Two owners need to sever all business ties.

Great potential, bad management team

I worked at STARA Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great potential for awesome diverse projects that are any technical person's dream

Cons

Little, insignificant raises if any. Nepotism. Some uneducated, peasant like attitude, unprofessional and inexperienced middle management that represent your company. Poor communication within all layers of personnel. 3 layoffs within one year, with another one coming in the next couple of months

Stop hiring sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, friends, ex-coworkers from other companies, short skirts from backgrounds that have nothing to do with your current business, and start hiring professionals that can actually bring, and keep, new contracts into the company

Enviroment so dysfunctional it imposes major physical safety risks.

Former Employee - Customer Support Technician in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Support Technician in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at STARA Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

None. Run don't walk away from this company, even if you are desperate for a job. The economy is getting better

ever day and soon it will be good. But allowling this company to harm your health will stay with you for a

lifetime.

Cons

I was constantly being deployed to Yuma to setup up the PGST (Persistent Ground Surveillance Tower) in Yuma at the Yuma proving grounds. I would work anywhere from 50 to 80 hours a week. But since I was salaried I never got paid for those extra hours much less over time. I was making 48k a year but when I divided it by the amount of hours I was putting in it I was actually getting paid close to minimum wage.

When I asked about getting compensation time, I was told that I had to take the compensation time during the same pay period the overtime was completed.

The PGST is a 50 foot portable steel tower. Setting it up is a very dangerous construction job but no safety regulations were observed. Supervisors would often cajole employees to climb the tower to fix issues without safety harnesses. I don't think Stara even had Safety harnesses. On top of that the tower had a lot of powerful radio emitting antennas. Again no radio safety measures were observed.

The tower which is 50 feet and made of steel, was never grounded the whole time I was there. At any point just static electricity could have killed someone.

On top of all this all the employees were allowed to carry fire arms on their person at all times. They would bring them into the office, workshops and some when so far as to insist on carrying them while we were setting up the tower, as if the job all by itself weren't dangerous enough.

Despite working so many hours, I was fired for performance, even though I was never written up. Then they tried to destroy my reputation when I filed for unemployment. Their letter regarding my termination to the unemployment office was so hate filled and laden with profanity the agent working my case quote, "Didn't even want to read it."

When my security clearance was up for renewal they again tried to harm my career by telling the same false stories about my character to the Office of Personnel management. Thankfully my references from other bosses I've worked for were able to overcome this.

None. How a company run this badly is still solvent baffles me. They must be doing something right.

Experienced Professionals Need Not Apply

Former Employee - Manager in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at STARA Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

As a potential candidate, I was concerned with the limited number of people who talked to me during the interview.

Cons

Interview team very inexperienced, yet displayed poor attitudes and misguided ego's.

To Management, I would have liked to have talked to all the management team this position would have interacted with. As it was, the few people I talked with were not a good representation of any company and as a experienced professional, red flags popped up all over. As I found this site and read the other reviews, my red flags now made sense. If this is the team that is to market to potential candidates why they should work there, I would rethink the strategy and try another group of managers. I found a good organization with experienced professionals and took that job.