STG International

www.stginternational.com

STG International Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2014
STG International – Alexandria – “STGi”

Michelle S. Lee

New opportunities every year.

Professional (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsSTGi has a very professional and respectful environment. In spite of expecting everybody to carry their weight there is a sense of team work and collaboration. While deadlines exist we typically know in advance what they are and what we need to do to meet them.

ConsIt seems like all I hear about in Washington DC is about people losing their jobs. The federal government is even threatening to shut down if they can't agree on how to proceed with their own budgets. STGi is a bit of a victim of the government's lack of planning and fiscal responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't neglect to provide feedback and acknowledge our hard work and contributions. Even though you all are carry a load of responsibilites too we look to you for input and guidance.

Don't listen to angry former employees. STGi is a good place to be.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsI recently left the company and stumbled across this site... I am really surprised to see some of the negative reviews! I worked with STGi in their HQ for a few years and I enjoyed the people I worked with, my time there, and had many opportunities. I received training and certification from STGi, and I was able to have part of my education paid for. Even though I left the company, I am happy with the opportunities I had at STGi. They make a point to include all levels of leadership in discussions, and they do a good job about communicating to all of their staff. Now, if you don't listen or don't read your email - that's your problem. The management and senior exec team works hard to make sure all of the staff know what's going on and what the plan is for the company.

The CEO, Michelle Lee, is a great lady. I'm not sure why I hear about vacations "every week" - that isn't true. (Is one person posting multiple negative reviews??) STGi has employees in something like 41 states, and Michelle makes site visits a few times a month. I had the pleasure to accompany her on a few of these trips and she does an amazing job. She knows all of her employees, takes time to listen to their thoughts, knows about important events in their lives, and she LOVES to recognize people. If you are a young person getting married, or if you're about to have a baby, or even a grandchild - you can expect Michelle to congratulate you in front of an entire room of people. She is outgoing, she is razor smart, and she knows where to take her company. I was always impressed with how much she knows about each contract and how involved she is. I guess people who sit at their desks and never make an effort to engage her may not know that portion, but Michelle is dynamic.

ConsI think the company is going through a growth-period, and growing pains can be tough. But this is a government contractor in DC - they're all hurting right now. STGi seems prepared to get lean and agile to face possible government budget cuts. That doesn't meant the exec team doesn't know what they're doing - it means they DO know what they're doing and they're make sure the company is in a good place. I guess that's hard for some people to understand.

Probably the biggest "con" I can think of is that I'd like to see more EdAP from the company. They do provide it, but it isn't very much. It would be nice to offer enough to cover a 3-credit class from one of the local colleges for continuing studies.

Advice to Senior ManagementJudging by these comments, you seem to be doing a good job of weeding out people who don't have much to contribute. Continue to make your team lean and agile and keep your employees in the loop with what's going on in the industry. Hopefully then, more employees will understand.

A+ to STGi! Lots of communication and great people

ProsOne of the best elements of working at STGi is the people. Everyone, from staff on sites to staff at headquarters, is so friendly, polite, motivated, and smart. I've really enjoyed the opportunity to work with a wide variety of STGi employees on different projects - and they're great about recognizing people! STGi regularly recognizes staff at headquarters and on different contracts for a job well done, which doesn’t always happen at other companies. Overall, I think STGi is really focused on taking care of its employees. I have been here for a while and there have been a few bad apples here and there (that happens at every company – don’t sweat it), but the vast majority of people I’ve worked with have been a joy to collaborate with and work with on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. Another aspect I love about my job is the general feeling that everyone belongs to this big STGi family. The staff at headquarters does a good job of disseminating information – they’ve got a company newsletter and have sent out other newsletters for smaller groups of staff with similar interests – and they seem to be really focused on communicating information, which I think could be difficult for a company with employees in 38 states, but they’ve always done a good job. Last pro is the CEO, Michelle Lee – she is awesome. She regularly visits employees all over the country, which makes people feel valued and special. And usually they bring lunch, which everyone loves! I’ve been really happy working at STGi and am surprised to see some of the more negative reviews.

ConsThere really aren’t any I can think of during my time with the company. Whenever I have a question or an issue, someone from the main office is quick to respond and help me. They’re really pleasant folks. I guess the only difficulty is that there are a lot of people all over the country working on the same sorts of projects, and it can be hard to know who else is doing something similar to you. I think the newsletters and groups STGi has put together (and from my understanding, is working to expand) really help to connect people who may be able to benefit from shared knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep visiting different sites and keep communicating! Stick with the great compensation and benefits plan. Keep up the good work!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Opportunity, Challenge, Responsibility, and Accountability.

Supervisor (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsIn spite of the size of STG International there continues to be an atmosphere of growth and opportunity. If you like rolling up your sleeves and getting the roots of things this is your place to work. The office environment is extremely professional and respectful. There is a friendly tone set by the President of the company.

ConsIf you don't like to work hard and be held accountable then stay away from STG. Management expects everyone to carry their weight and give 100%. If you want to spend you time taking breaks, visiting with your coworkers, or surfing the internet then look for another opportunity or better yet start your own company.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet you teammembers shine and hold us accountable for our roles and responsibilities. We are capable of doing so much more.

Great place to work!

ProsI have the ability to strengthen my current skills, develop new skills and work collaboratively with others. I am impressed with the talent that resides within STG International and the willingness my co-workers have to share their knowledge with me and others.

ConsNone I can think of . . . STG International is always looking for ways to grow and improve which are great qualities of an organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to recognize those who do good work!

Great Contractor experience

Early Childhood Education Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsVariety of contract experience with federal grantees

Consslightly a bit unorganizied amongst managers to supervisors

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more tenured supervisors with experience with diversified staff.

Good first experience in defense consulting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bethesda, MD

Prosgreat work at the client site; project manager provided significant autonomy to do the work; good benefits (PTO), all work time could be focused on serving client versus doing business development

Consturnover within project management sometimes made it difficult to reach appropriate contacts for various issues, such as work hours and benefits, general project related issues

Advice to Senior Managementensure that your client-site personnel are provided with updated organizational charts so that they can direct questions appropriately and have a better chance at quicker resolution

great company to work with and for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood benefits and salary for contractors

Conscontract terms change alot without notice

Good Govt Contractor to Work For

Pharmacist (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsEfficient interactions with central office. Prompt responses to questions or issues. Co-workers are great to work with (worksite environment is very positive)

ConsThere seems to be a fairly high turnover in central office (minimal impact in the field, however).
    Contract status is somewhat unstable (just due to the nature of the govt contracting system) i.e. cuts may be just around the corner, and employees can leave/or be released with 30 days notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to maintain closer links with your field staff. Reinstate the 50% match for your 401-K plan (currently only 25%).

MRT

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis company has a lot of good people working for them. The employees at STG International provides an expectational healthcare.

ConsDisorganized. The process to get hired there can take from two to three months. What makes it unorganized is that STG International can come in and say it's over. What the hel* it's a though economy out there, show some respect.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't hire people if they are not 100% cleared.

Worked for STG International? Contribute to the Community!