STG

Updated November 5, 2014
Updated November 5, 2014
4.0

Charles Layne

Great company where the leadership team cares about the direction of the company and growth of its employees

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at STG full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am the new HR Generalist for STG and from the moment I started I have felt the warm welcome and support by the leadership team. There is longevity within this company and I can see why. This is a company that truly cares about growing and investing in its people. Every teammate I encounter has a positive can do attitude and goes above and beyond 100%. I have noticed each teammate takes ownership and pride in what they contribute to the company and this doesn't go unnoticed by the management team, we have put some very rewarding initiatives in place to recognize our talented team and show appreciation. We work hard and play hard and this is a fun place to work and to grow in your career.

Cons

I don't have any cons, I will say that in my experience when a company goes through high growth there will be bumps along the way, but that is exciting. If you are a self-starter that sees opportunity and the big picture than this is the company for you.

Continue coaching and providing growth opportunities. As we continue to grow don't lose the laid back open door culture that we currently have.

Great company, great benefits

I have been working at STG full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The corporate team is very welcoming, supportive, and responsive. Benefits are good with a 401K match program and better than other companies in the technology industry. Company is driven for growth. Many areas have work/life balance. Leadership is very personable, available, and more transparent with information than in the past. For teammates in Arizona, they have potlucks, BBQs, and other events. The company also participates in community events such as the Walk for Autism. Turnover is low in comparison to other technology companies. I feel valued and leadership listens to my ideas. I love working here and look forward to many years working for STG.

Cons

I really do not have any cons. You need to be on top of your game and perform well; this is not a place for people who just show up for a job. You need to complete your goals and be innovative to continuously improve. There are a handful of positions that do not have work/life balance and work overtime depending on business needs.

Growing company with outstanding leadership!

Former Employee - Microsoft Premier LAR PAM in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Microsoft Premier LAR PAM in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at STG full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had an amazing experience working at STG for over two and half years. The opportunities to succeed and excel in sales are heightened by leadership's interest in developing and assisting employees in their professional and personal growth. Charles Layne, CEO, consistently took time to mentor each of our team members.

Cons

My time at STG was too short, two and a half years until the program contract was up, I'd love to work there again!

Management, keep investing in your employees personal and professional growth as you have been. It is amazing to see a company that provides this type of environment to their employees. Employees will work harder when they know they have such exceptional support.

Great company, good vision

Current Employee - Contractor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Contractor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at STG full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love working at STG because they have excellent benefits, the teams are so easy to work with and everyone is always willing to help. They provide training for the teams to take advantage of regularly. Come prepared to work hard to grow, not just in your own position but in anything you would like to do. If you have interests in learning a different part of the business here, the company is still small enough, you have that opportunity.

Cons

STG is working hard to move forward in the industry so change is a constant. Just be prepared and you will do fine. There is not a lot of room for upward growth within the company right now, but that will definitely change as the company grows.

Company not afraid of change to move forward

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at STG as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The company offers good compensation and benefits. 401k matching and free employee medical benefits are nice, and not offered by many companies. The CEO has a lot of energy, and if you can keep up you will be along for a fun ride. Management has a work hard, play hard attitude and has always listened to what I had to say. Smart people should be able to do very well here.

Cons

Employees who want to 'coast' and not work hard wont be around too long. The company is moving forward and those not ready for change find it very difficult.

Be very transparent to all employees about the culture and direction of the company. The more people know what you want tomorrow to look like, not just for the company - but for that employee, they less surprised they will be.

Sales-Centric Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at STG full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very casual atmosphere, everyone is on a first-name basis and the management always state their willingness to hear feedback from employees. Many employees work from home, and flex-time means that even hourly employees can take time off when they need to. The company is growing very rapidly. The benefits are good, basic health care is covered 100%, 401K matching vests immediately, and everyone gets a ham for Christmas. Sales are treated well and well compensated.

Cons

Turnover is very high. Long-term employees are fired when a quarter's numbers are bad, and sometimes the positions are not backfilled, or not for a long delay, so those who are left get burned out. The company lacks the support staff it needs. For example, HR department is only one person, and they had 3 people in that role in <2 years. Equally high turnover in IT and marketing. They refuse to pay for training and promise (but don't often deliver) opportunities for advancement. Many positions are filled with friends of the CEO or relatives of the owners.

When you sell more services, you also have to increase your capacity to provide those services. Invest more in the company, and don't take for granted that your employees will always do more with less.

Change, Adapt, Overcome and Grow

Current Employee - Management in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Management in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at STG full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company is one that has changed so much over the past 4-5 years. It was once a family run organization with very little communication, although very focused on the customer and trying to grow. It has since been turned over to new executives and some mid-level management and others were let go. The new management team is focused on growth, expansion and becoming a leader in the industry. It may not always be perfect, but it is never dull.

Cons

It was tough to go from a family run business, into a medium size company. The management team hired many new people into roles and many that they had worked with before. We have learned a lot and have adapted how we think about what is possible.

Continue to focus on growth, but always remember where it all started and that not all employees can run at the same pace as the new hires. The energy level is high and we all want to win.

Great Company to Work for

Current Employee - Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at STG full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very Supportive Management that WANTS to HELP you to SUCCEED!. Not just lip service like so many company's that I have worked with in past

Cons

Growing Rapidly and in need of more structure in the operational side. People work hard but do not really understand how to best support sales teams

Hold Monthly Contests rewarding the people that create the most new customers

You Need to Create Your Own Success

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at STG full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you have good discipline and understand how your contributions make a difference this is a great place. In a smaller company, good people rise quickly to recognition. This company as it should rewards contributors and as compared to large company where weak people can hide, I like it here

Cons

If you are not proactive for yourself, you will not be able to make things happen. There is no safety net for those that can't do it on their own.

Insure that a new idea or suggestion is implemented monthly and every employee is require to suggest a change that will help everyone. The best will be implemented

Small and experienced tech company on the move!

Current Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at STG full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at STG is challenging, exciting, and rewarding. It is a small company that allows you direct access to all levels of the organization. The depth of knowledge is vast, and it puts me in a position to win deals and learn at the same time. I love hearing about the different customers and projects various groups are involved in supporting.

Culturally, it's a family oriented company that values employees and their commitments outside of the office. Inside the office, it's all about getting the job done and delivering to customers.

The benefits package, 401k plan and match -are second to none. I have yet to work for an employer that takes as great care of its employees as STG in this regard.

Cons

It is a small company, so it requires you to do things that are "outside of your job description" from time to time. It's cliché, but you do have to have an entrepreneurial spirit to be successful. This is definitely not a place for clock watchers.

Keep doing what you are doing, and we will continue to grow!