STI Computer Services

2.4

Ted Itzkowitz

I like working here

I have been working at STI Computer Services full-time

Pros

I can work from home if i need to
    I feel good about being able to help doctors help patients
    I'm not a number in a big company. I feel like what I do matters.
    The company is stable and has been around for a long time. over 25 years?

Cons

They need to turn up the heat in winter.
    There could be more training for new employees
    There could be more communication about what's going on. The last place I worked would buy lunch sometimes and even sponsor happy hours, this one doesn’t.

I heard about some of the complaints on this website and I agree with the other person that said it’s not what most people think. I doubt some of the people that wrote the negative comments are still at STI because the morale is pretty good. That’s why I’m writing this review. If I had good advice, I’d probably be in management. maybe someday. I like the managers in software development and QA. They sometimes get stressed out, but I still feel that I can go to them for help.

It was good.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagleville, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagleville, PA

I worked at STI Computer Services

Pros

Same pros that other people wrote about.
    There were some very loyal customers. Some even tried other software and come back to STI.
    I liked my manager.
    Most of the people were nice to work with. I don’t work there any more but I still have friends that I care about there. There were two people that left and came back to STI which tells you something. I needed to leave for other reasons but I recommend working there. In some ways it’s better than other companies I worked at.

Cons

They needed more people to work the phones.

Don’t overload the good people. A couple people left because they were good and management dumped everything on them.
    It was hard to get help from other departments sometimes.

It could be better but it's not that bad

I have been working at STI Computer Services

Pros

Casual dress. Most of the people are fun to work with and good at what they do. We’re not forced to work long hours all the time like I know other companies are and there haven’t been layoffs like other companies too. Modern technology (software) for the most part.

Cons

Benefits are bad. They are worse that most other companies. The software looks old and in some parts is very old and hard to work with. Even though the product is being modernized, it needs to go faster.
    Morale is lower than it could be. But there are some people that would be negative no matter where they worked. Those negative people find any reason to complain and that makes it much worse. If it was really that bad, why don’t they try to do something about it, accept it, or find something else they like to do like farming catfish or starting their own business. There are some people like me that go along and nod their heads in agreement with the complaints because they don’t want to be cast out of the group. The sad thing is the negative people think that constant complaining and writing on a website like this is going to change things. It just makes it worse for the rest of us. I understand the problems because I live through them too. If I keep getting told another project I’ve started is backburnered and there’s some other project that is mor eimportnat, I may just shoot myself. But a lot of companies are like that.

What you see here isn’t just a reflection of a few bad apples. But also keep in mind it’s not the average view of all employees. Try to talk with people more so that even if you can’t do anything, they will understand you are trying. And turn up the heat. It's cold in the office this time of year.

OK

I have been working at STI Computer Services full-time

Pros

Employees are friendly. Not over worked.

Cons

Management is disorganized and has no vision.

I like the people, but they are pretty unorganized

Current Employee - Level I Help Desk Representative/In-House Trainer in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at STI Computer Services

Pros

My co-workers are great. You enjoy a certain amount of freedom, and the pay is decent. It's a nice work environment in general. Light, casual attire, and it can be fun.

Cons

Management seems lost, very unorganized and backwards. HR Rep is HORRIBLE! Cheap! They don't even want to pay for computers that work! And they refuse to put money where it is needed. I really don't know how this company has gotten this far.

Hire more people and TRAIN THEM....and keep training them!

Management needs a makeover

I have been working at STI Computer Services

Pros

Friendly people to work with
    Free coffee
    No dress code
    Lenient Work Life balance
    Office location in close proximity to restaurants, gas station and shopping

Cons

No Structure or management guidance
    A lot of office politics (need to brown nose to get ahead)
    Archaic software
    Atrocious benefits (All around, not just health benefits)
    No company perks as other companies have
    Compensation is NOT competitive
    Low morale
    Incompetent employees that are being coddled
    No tuition reimbursement as promised

Management needs to take a course on "How to Manage People". They don't have a clue. The passive aggressive approve obnoxiously does not work. If that was the case the morale would not be so low in all departments and the employee turnover wouldn't be so high. Pay close attention to the departments with the highest employee turnover where some are almost at 100%.

The owner of the company and all managers also need to open their eyes on how to improve the technology of the software so the company doesn't continue to be 5 years behind of their competitors.

Oh and to add to one of the other reviewers who possibly hasn't been with the company for that long... Yes, there HAS been layoffs within the past couple of years so don't put that past this company to do it again. Especially be concerned for layoffs since sales has not improved and remain to decline.

Stagnant environment

I have been working at STI Computer Services

Pros

Casual dress code, slowly adopting some more progressive policies. Free coffee.

Cons

Lack of training for management, which has lead to overall morale problems. Employees are encouraged to come up with ideas, which are promptly shot down. Employees are told management is willing to be flexible, but as soon as the opportunity arises, management shows its utter inflexibility.

Benefits are terrible- healthcare costs are skyrocketing with little apparent support from the company, there is no 401k matching, and no professional, trained human resources staff.

Say what you mean and mean what you say. Back off and let people do their jobs. Look at other companies and try to at least match the median salaries and benefits. Try to adopt more progressive strategies in lieu of spending money on salaries and benefits if that is not an option.

In other words, go learn how to manage, then do your job.

Great People Management Lack Vision

I have been working at STI Computer Services

Pros

The people and the work environment are great. Casual dress including shorts and sandals in the summer. The company is very understanding of the work/life balance and certain positions allow the ability to work from him if the need arises.

Cons

Downsides are strictly related to management. There is no vision or plan in place. The management team is totally reactive and not proactive. Rather then plan and allocate resources accordingly for large projects it is wait to the last second and then run around like the building is on fire.

There seems to be a lot of fighting within the management team which makes it hard on the employees.

The benefits are a challenge to any small company but the benefits at the company poor and very expensive. Be sure to account for the benefit cost when considering a job offer.

Put a plan in place and stick to it. IF you are going to say you are agile then be agile. Hold those people accountable for making bad decisions.

Misguided Priorities

Current Employee - Software Support in Eagleville, PA
    Current Employee - Software Support in Eagleville, PA

I have been working at STI Computer Services

Pros

Casual dress. Very laid back and friendly atmosphere. My team works great together, and our managers treat us with alot respect. Managers are very understanding of work-life balance and good about giving time off.

Cons

The medical benefits have become abysmal. No 401k match at all. My team is extremely short-staffed. It is a call-center environment and we turn customers away from support and have to call them back when everyone is on the phones. There are no plans to hire more people due to lack of funds, apparently, even though they have been hiring alot of people in other departments. Also, the company has had lay-offs recently, so I'm not sure the job security is that great either.

Hire more software support staff. When clients are having issues, they need someone to be there to help them WHEN they need help. We shouldn't have to call them back. It makes no sense that this team isn’t staffed as adequately as other teams are, even though they are the ones speaking directly to customers in depth on a regular basis. It seems like a misguided decision not to invest as much in the success of a team that is so critical to maintaining customer satisfaction.

It's a job

I have been working at STI Computer Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Casual dress and laid back environment.

Cons

Management is horrible, software is old and out dated, benefits and salary are horrible, no 401K match and there is no professional trained HR rep!

Update the software, increase salary, better benefits, match 401K, and give employees more time off at holidays to spend with their families.