STIHL Incorporated

STIHL Incorporated Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

STIHL Incorporated President Fred J. Whyte

Fred J. Whyte

A great company to work for!

ProsCo-workers are great to work with. Work life balance is the best I've seen yet.

ConsNo complaints. Great company overall!

Great company with fantastic employee benefits

Virginia Beach, VA

ProsGreat pay, discretionary bonus, wonderful health insurance, tuition reimbursement, mostly good managers, GREAT product, overall great leadership

ConsI really do not have any complaints about this company. I have worked at STIHL Inc for many, many years and my overall experience has been really good.

Great employer

Guidebar Machinist (Former Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsGood pay, benefits, good training

ConsLack of promotions, educational promotions

Advice to Senior ManagementHire and promote from within.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Production Planning & Logistics Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Place to work especially in Hampton Roads

ConsNot Applicable! Good Company to work for

Great place to work

Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsSTIHL has an unbelievable team spirit. Benefits are unbeatable as is the product. It's really nice to work for a company producing the best on the market.

ConsIt's a no nonsense place to work. STIHL is a lean company and expects a lot out of employees. Nothing unreasonable, but the company does expect hard and smart work out of you.

Proud to work at STIHL Inc.

Virginia Beach, VA

ProsI enjoy the closeness that the employees enjoy with supervisors and management team. Management is approachable and has an open door policy the employees enjoy and take advantage of. I always feel as if I'm coming home when I come to work.

ConsNone that I can think of; I am very content. Well, only the fact that we do not have a Starbucks Cafe on premises to get my regular java jolt.

Best job I have ever had

Manager (Current Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsI am thankful every day that I get to work with amazing professionals producing and distributing amazing products. I get to do work that constantly pushes me to be better every day and in the process meet truly remarkable people all around the world. I spend my day in a professional and positive work environment. The company believes in employee development and I have no shortage of opportunities to improve myself through company provided training as well as support for outside education I want to pursue. The company is privately held by the Stihl family, and those family values show up throughout the company. I have fun at my job and receive excellent pay and benefits in return. For the most part I like everyone I work with, and everyone seems to understand what the common goals are that we work towards. Can't ask for more than that.

ConsNone that I can think of.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the great work.

I love my job!

A Operator Plastics Department (Current Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsIn a nutshell, the company has an incredibly sound structure which to me means that as long as I go to work and do my job, there will be a place for me to go to work and do my job until such time as I retire. Stihl survived the recent economic downturn and I feel it is sound enough to survive most anything that happens in the American workplace. Great benefits, great 401k plan, they give several bonuses per year, good working conditions and open door policy with management which actually listens to your ideas and concerns. If all goes well for my plan, I plan to retire from Stihl.

ConsThere is not enough parking for all of the employees and you cannot have a cell phone anywhere on the inside of the Stihl buildings which can be a pain in the neck. The cafeteria should stay open all night to accomodate the third shift and the twelve hour employees, at least with pizza, burgers and beverages.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider ways to create more parking, or possibly a commuter type form of transportation for local employees which would free up parking space for long distance employees. Possibly an open discussion meeting with upper management once per year.

Nice place to work, wish it was better!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsNice; area, campus, people, projects. Many engineering, and purchasing projects exist. High level of product specific focus internally and externally with supplies.

ConsManagement can be very harsh and critical. At times, department heads and/or international Stihl global plants battle with each other. This is encouraged by top management. This leads to very high level of politics and many headaches for mid to lower level office employees. Certain managers are not nice people (ex, they have been used by former employees mult times for work related issues and still work there).

Advice to Senior ManagementBurnout level is high due to politics. Certain managers are in the positions they have not due to experience and abilities, but because they are bulldogs and fight to get the job done. Some managers, for example Planning Group, are absolutely horrible to work with. I wouldn't recommend my enemy interact with that person. Overall good company, but step carefully.

Great products

ProsGood pay and benefits
    Bonuses
    Clean work environment
    Challenging

ConsVery Strict and tough on mistakes

Worked for STIHL Incorporated? Contribute to the Community!

STIHL Incorporated Videos

STIHL Incorporated – Why Work for Us?

Virginia Beach-based STIHL Inc., one of several manufacturing facilities in the STIHL Group, is the headquarters for U.S. operations. STIHL Inc. employs over 2,100 people nationwide, with more than 1,900 in Virginia… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at STIHL Incorporated reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for STIHL Incorporated CEO Fred J. Whyte. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by STIHL Incorporated employees.