STIHL Incorporated Reviews

3.7
STIHL Incorporated President Fred J. Whyte
Fred J. Whyte

1. Featured Review

Overall a great place to work

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at STIHL Incorporated full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Healthy company -Great benefits -Exceptional team spirit on the operational level -People really stand behind the product they make. High level of brand identification. -Very strong core values -Good work-life balance -Very clean and organized work environment (you can eat from the production floor) -Long term strategic thinking

Cons

-Leadership is far too political -Hard to change status quo -Managers often discourage their people from working together with other departments. Luckily the people know better and still help each other out (thanks to the already mentioned team spirit)

Advice to Management

Change the metrics measuring the performance of key managers. It should include more incentives to foster employee self responsibilty and cooperation between departments.

I love my job!

Current Employee - A Operator Plastics Department in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - A Operator Plastics Department in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at STIHL Incorporated

Pros

In a nutshell, the company has an incredibly sound structure which to me means that as long as I go to work and do my job, there will be a place for me to go to work and do my job until such time as I retire. Stihl survived the recent economic downturn and I feel it is sound enough to survive most anything that happens in the American workplace. Great benefits, great 401k plan, they give several bonuses per year, good working conditions and open door policy with management which actually listens to your ideas and concerns. If all goes well for my plan, I plan to retire from Stihl.

Cons

There is not enough parking for all of the employees and you cannot have a cell phone anywhere on the inside of the Stihl buildings which can be a pain in the neck. The cafeteria should stay open all night to accomodate the third shift and the twelve hour employees, at least with pizza, burgers and beverages.

Advice to Management

Consider ways to create more parking, or possibly a commuter type form of transportation for local employees which would free up parking space for long distance employees. Possibly an open discussion meeting with upper management once per year.

3. Best job I have ever had

Current Employee - Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at STIHL Incorporated full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I am thankful every day that I get to work with amazing professionals producing and distributing amazing products. I get to do work that constantly pushes me to be better every day and in the process meet truly remarkable people all around the world. I spend my day in a professional and positive work environment. The company believes in employee development and I have no shortage of opportunities to improve myself through company provided training as well as support for outside education I want to pursue. The company is privately held by the Stihl family, and those family values show up throughout the company. I have fun at my job and receive excellent pay and benefits in return. For the most part I like everyone I work with, and everyone seems to understand what the common goals are that we work towards. Can't ask for more than that.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

keep up the great work.

5. Proud to work at STIHL Inc.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at STIHL Incorporated full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoy the closeness that the employees enjoy with supervisors and management team. Management is approachable and has an open door policy the employees enjoy and take advantage of. I always feel as if I'm coming home when I come to work.

Cons

None that I can think of; I am very content. Well, only the fact that we do not have a Starbucks Cafe on premises to get my regular java jolt.

6. Great place to work

Current Employee - Supervisor in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at STIHL Incorporated full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

STIHL has an unbelievable team spirit. Benefits are unbeatable as is the product. It's really nice to work for a company producing the best on the market.

Cons

It's a no nonsense place to work. STIHL is a lean company and expects a lot out of employees. Nothing unreasonable, but the company does expect hard and smart work out of you.

7. Great employer

Former Employee - Guidebar Machinist in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Guidebar Machinist in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at STIHL Incorporated full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, good training

Cons

Lack of promotions, educational promotions

Advice to Management

Hire and promote from within.

Great company with fantastic employee benefits

I have been working at STIHL Incorporated full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, discretionary bonus, wonderful health insurance, tuition reimbursement, mostly good managers, GREAT product, overall great leadership

Cons

I really do not have any complaints about this company. I have worked at STIHL Inc for many, many years and my overall experience has been really good.

9. A great company to work for!

I have been working at STIHL Incorporated full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great to work with. Work life balance is the best I've seen yet.

Cons

No complaints. Great company overall!

10. Amazing Experience - Truly World-Class Manufacturing

Former Employee - Engineer in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at STIHL Incorporated full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The clean, well organized work environment is a pleasure to work in. The people are friendly and have a desire to do things well. The benefits are excellent and pay is competitive.

Cons

There is a dichotomy of ideas for change: on one hand, there is a push for innovation and continuous improvement; on the other, there is a mentality to continue to do things as they have always been done successfully for the past 40 years. You cannot live and work in the middle, you must be able to bounce from one extreme to the other, depending on the project you have at the time.

Advice to Management

Stop, look, and listen. There are some great new ideas in your employees minds; take the time to listen to them and make an effort to let innovation happen from within. The talent that has driven success for the past 40 years is not the talent that will drive success for the next 40.

11. Great job

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at STIHL Incorporated full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everything is great with this company

Cons

Like every job there is some bad but nothing to talk about

Advice to Management

Keep us very well paid and we will go to battle everyday for you.

RSS Feed </> Embed