STMicroelectronics

STMicroelectronics Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

STMicroelectronics President and CEO Carlo Bozotti

Carlo Bozotti

Pros:
  • "Very good work life/balance - Good team spirit in general"
    in 57 reviews
  • "good working environment in few groups for self-motivated people"
    in 33 reviews
Cons:
  • "Few career opportunities, low salary compared to Italy's average for graduates"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Conservative decision making after taken long time to arrive de-risk"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

STMicroelectronics - Stagnating Company

Engineering Specialist (Former Employee)
Greater Noida (India)

I worked at STMicroelectronics full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork content is good but not cutting edge. Good Job Security. Work Life balance.

ConsManagement is really out-dated and out of touch of the present day market. STM continues to bleed of Money and good manpower which is leaving the company in droves. What remains is the dead wood.

Working on older technologies and innovation in products is abysmal.

Sweet talk and toeing the line of your manager is needed for you to survive.

Salary hikes are a pittance and salary structure gets revised to paint a rosy picture of your package!

Greater Noida Office is at a distant location which is quite far from the city. Hence commute gets really tough. You cannot live nearby since nearby localities have multiple issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to weed out the unproductive employees rather than letting go of the good ones.

Brainstorming on the future road-map and products are a must in case STM has to remain competitive. the competitors have far more mature products and technologies than STM.

I never understood how they can be in the Global Top 5 (back then). Not a good company

Applications Engineer (Former Employee)
Agrate Brianza (Italy)

I worked at STMicroelectronics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWhen I joined the job seemed like an interesting job. However, soon it turned out that the group where I worked had hardly sales. I didn't find real pros. Probably I didn't see the good sides, because they must be there. But not in Italy.

ConsIn Italy it depends on the network you have. Skills are not the only thing that counts. One symptom was that in Agrate very few job openings were posted on the internal website (all organized in the network) , whereas in Grenoble often many jobs were posted. The sites are comparable in size. People / management doesn't keep promises and not the right people are in the right position. Colleagues were also not willing to share a lot of info with other colleagues in an order to 'be important'. For example, software was not commented so that others would not understand. I had a few employers, but ST was by far the worst.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is better to have someone work then to have someone just being present without working. So let people do the job they want to and are best at.

Good place to learn, but not to earn

Senior Design Engineer (Current Employee)
Greater Noida (India)

I have been working at STMicroelectronics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros1. If you are a self-motivated individual. This is the best place for you as you get ample time to focus on things you wish to pursue.
2. Work stress is at its minimal level. But, the level and complexity of work at ST is ahead or at par with industry.
3. The existing technical cream layer of ST is deteriorating quickly. As of now there are many people in ST whom you'll love to work with.

Cons1. The work culture is a breeding ground for people who don't work ethically. People treat the freedom given by ST to chill, hangout and no regulation is there, thus work suffers.

2. Management layer is of old-school people politics is evident in many scenarios.

3. Hikes are not governed by Potential and results-delivered. But, people are given hikes on impractical measures such as : colleges branding (even at experienced level) , complexity of profile is not honored (that is why solid people leave quickly).

4. Salary is a big turn down.

Advice to Senior ManagementST needs to consolidate its staff there are many useless people in every hierarchy. Serious thought is required on the existing appraisal process.

Staff Software Engineer

Staff Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Santa Clara, CA

I worked at STMicroelectronics full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood engineering teams, working conditions and work/life balance.

ConsManagement too slow to make key decisions and invest for the future. Career progression not encouraged.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company could have potential - focus should be on innovation. Be prepared to take risks.

Moorish, Government like, Not dynamic - good to retire to company

I have been working at STMicroelectronics full-time

ProsRelaxed work atmosphere
No pressure
Run of the mill job
Balanced work - life

ConsNot agile
Not faced paced
Old archaic management with zero appetite for becoming dynamic and leading
If you point out mistakes you will be killed
Motto "Sust raho - mast raho"

Advice to Senior ManagementLook around, take a cue from leaders in the semiconductor space. If you cannot evolve meaningfully and break from 'France is my country - Italy is my country' to a really global go getter attitude then please just shut the dammn company down

Great Engineers, not so great senior management.

Senior Hardware Engineer (Current Employee)
Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at STMicroelectronics full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe Bristol engineers are (were!) a great bunch - clever, resourceful and have a lot of expertise in their chosen fields. Flexible working time and holidays are a bonus. Pension and other benefits also good.

ConsBristol: it's closing! Otherwise, being French it is overly bureaucratic, IT in particular. There is also too much management hierarchy meaning the CEO and board are disconnected from the engineers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop closing site that have the expertise to get the company moving.

Place to learn

Senior Design Engineer (Current Employee)
Prague (Czech Republic)

I have been working at STMicroelectronics full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood company to learn silicon design when you are leave university.

ConsDon't expect any big career evolution or significant salary increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementJudge people based on their real results. Stop politics and focus to business.

Dissatisfied

Design Engineer (Current Employee)
Naples (Italy)

I have been working at STMicroelectronics full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood collegues, stable work, not really stressing

ConsLow salary, no carrier opportunity, bad managers

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to innovate more, try to keep good engineers

Good, until redundancy came

Software Design Eng (Current Employee)
Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at STMicroelectronics full-time for more than 5 years

Prosinternational environment
cutting-edge products
still one of the main semiconductor company

Consitalian-french company: they are close to both government, so, even if result in business damage, they keep employer in these 2 countries.
Management is a caste, so they protect themselves, even if someone did some very bad choices

Advice to Senior ManagementClosing eng site reduces competitiveness and lose of knowledge, competitors thank for this. if business goes bad it is not engs fault, indeed other companies are willing to take them! Management and CEO should be responsible for what happens to business but they never pay for their errors

Good people, poor management

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Irvine, CA

I have been working at STMicroelectronics full-time for more than 10 years

Proshigh tech enviroment, good engineers, large company

Consobsolete systems, poor leadership, awful career path for female employees (only 1 female director in USA, the HR director, what a cliche').

Worked for STMicroelectronics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at STMicroelectronics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for STMicroelectronics CEO Carlo Bozotti. All 376 reviews posted anonymously by STMicroelectronics employees.