STMicroelectronics

STMicroelectronics Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

STMicroelectronics President and CEO Carlo Bozotti

Carlo Bozotti

Pros
  • Very good work life/balance - Good team spirit in general(in 70 reviews)

• good working environment in few groups for self-motivated people(in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Few career opportunities, low salary compared to Italy's average for graduates(in 12 reviews)

• Conservative decision making after taken long time to arrive de-risk(in 10 reviews)

Employees Quit Leaders, Not Companies

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsI worked for a tyrant of a director, but I believed in his leadership. He was on-point, confident and intelligent in terms of how the department's direction should move towards. As a boss, he was fair with his staff and despite his tough, moody exterior, an all-round nice guy. 5 years under his wing, my learning curve was extremely high with several growth and travel opportunities.

During his leadership, the department's culture was intense and pressure-cooker like, but it was efficient. It was rare that one had to stay back for overtime, as long as all urgencies were attended to and prior arrangements made. He walked the talk and usually leaves the office by 7pm, and did not expect staff to stay for overtime unnecessarily.

On-site culture is that of an extended family. Approach the relevant teams in the right manner, and they would be willing to explain and teach you the relevant processes and procedures.

ConsCurrent leadership is overly flexible, with no fix stand or direction. Work life balance is encouraged but it is not shown by example with follow-up e-mails from senior management being issued after hours for operational matters, even up till 3am. The team works mainly off e-mails with a daily average of 500 e-mails received.

Compensation, perks and benefits are definitely not one of the best in the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at employees as part of your thinking work-force (especially the good ones), not just mindless robots. People are three-dimensional with many aspects, strengths and weaknesses to them. A great leader is one who is able to read and manage their staff accordingly.

Good internship opportunity

Blue-collarthe Finished Goods Store (Former Employee) Crolles (France)

ProsThe salary is good for an internship, and the working schedule in the finished goods store is quite good since we did not work on the factory schedule.

ConsThe work was quite repetitive and the obsolete informatic system did not help. The global organisation of the company seems quite bad too, but I guess I wasn't involved enough in it to really comprehend it.

World-class Semiconductor Company - Mismanagement

Project Manager (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsWas a Great company with excellent products,
    used to be a forward-looking company with great visions.
    enthusiastic colleagues with great drive and desires to succeed

ConsCurrent management has no vision, lack fore-sight, focus on short-term goals ignoring long-term vision.
    Take easy, but illogical decisions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Potential to be a great company consistently messed up by lack of leadership, strategy & direction.

Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsFor someone outside of Europe, a fantastic place for multi-cultural experience, particularly for business owners wanting experience dealing with international organizations.
    The guys in Grenoble lot better than rest of the Europe.
    If the BUs put their determination behind something, wonders can happen. eg., MEMs, power mgmt, etc.

ConsThe Director level mgmt needs a forklift change. Most have scant idea how to run/grow a business.
    The leadership has no idea how to create a strategy to run a huge org; once in a while a hit comes along to save grace.
    Huge dependence at all levels on who you know to get the job done. There are hardly any processes to run a multi-segment businesses.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo succeed, stop laying off US employees & remove the guarantees of lifelong-jobs in Europe. Start instilling high-performing leadership in key BUs to demonstrate performance based success.
    Reward based on performance metrics as opposed to seniority & who you know.
    Ask INSEAD to do a case study on why TI which was at the same position as STM has been able to do so successfully & implement the recommendations.

Company culture

Prosnice environment to work in, colleagues are nice, good medical benefit

Consheavily depend on higher management decision which make every decision to be delayed or changed frequently

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpowerment and involvement of each of every employee is important.

great experience

Prosgood technology ,work life balance is good,

Conspays are lower, promotions rate is lower at level above tech lead level

Good place to start your career

Technical Leader (Current Employee) Greater Noida (India)

ProsA goood place to start a career with good opportunities and job security.

ConsDue to difficult situation of the company , there is an imbalance between the number of resources and the work.

PhD student at STMicroelectronics

PhD Student (Former Employee) Crolles (France)

ProsGood package. Salary + bonuses
    as PhD student you get engineer status

ConsOpen space offices is quite bad

Very good experience in STMicroelectronics

Intern (Current Employee) Greater Noida (India)

ProsVery good working culture with good work life balance

Consno cons in this companey

Advice to Senior Managementconvert more intern as full time employee.

review

Prosgood work culture and activities

Consnot doing well in market always follower

Worked for STMicroelectronics? Contribute to the Community!