STMicroelectronics Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

3.4

STMicroelectronics President and CEO Carlo Bozotti
Carlo Bozotti

Pros
  • Very good work life/balance - Good team spirit in general (in 70 reviews)

• good working environment in few groups for self-motivated people (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Few career opportunities, low salary compared to Italy's average for graduates (in 12 reviews)

• Conservative decision making after taken long time to arrive de-risk (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Bad management with excellent engineers

Current Employee - Senior Principal Consultant  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at STMicroelectronics as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Engineers are excellent and working very hard. The vacation policy is as flexible as European company can. You could take 4-5 weeks off in a row. MEMS is being dominated by STM worldwide.

Cons

Engineering talents suffer from mismanagement. Upper management cannot let redundant employees in Europe because of the tight labor environment. Therefore, STM carries all financial burdens to maintain more than 50K people.

Need to learn how to boost morale

Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at STMicroelectronics full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

STMicroelectronics is an excellent company. Excellent culture and values.

Cons

Nothing special to report. Very good company.

Nothing special. Maybe sharing more the longterm vision with employees

Very talented workforce, direction not always clear

Former Employee - Staff Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at STMicroelectronics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Individual contributors are very skilled and motivated. The company usually allows for a good degree of freedom in how we execute our work and are responsible for our results.
    In general there is more attention to the people than in other, pure american, companies

Cons

Management sometimes loses focus and top directives are not clear or not always coherent. It requires a lot of self-direction and self-motivation. Salary range is not always in line with local competitors (Arizona / Colorado / California)

Make decisions and stick to them, unless they're proven wrong.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company in Europe but perhaps not the right place to work in the US

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at STMicroelectronics full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are easy going and not much work pressure , typical European culture.

Cons

Lot of French and Italian politics around you and you would invariably be a victim of their favoritism .US centers are considered as an overhead and never given their due importance . Management locally is sluggish and spineless with no say in company's decisions . Overall not the best place to work if you want to have a bright career . Just about ok if you want to hang in there with an attitude of old time government employee .

I don't think Management needs an advice as they anyways have nothing in their hands , the best they do is hire people locally . All the decisions are taken from Europe .

good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at STMicroelectronics

Pros

good place to work. nice people and opportunities to work on interesting projects with leading edge technologies. Very stable company.

Cons

ST is an European company, so the focus is in Europe and not in US. working here you feel you are very distant from the company

Invest more in US presence. while we are a European company we need to keep reinforcing our presence in US where our customers and competitors operate

Excellent benefits, but not much of a future in the US

Former Employee - Staff Engineer  in  Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Longmont, CO

I worked at STMicroelectronics

Pros

As a European company, their benefits are outstanding compared to many others. They still offer a pension plan, offer more vacation days that most, and their 401k match is not only excellent but is also fully vested from day one.

Cons

ST has been steadily decreasing their presence in the United States starting with the closure of both of their large manufacturing facilities in Dallas and Phoenix followed by the closure of several smaller design centers. Not much prospect for future growth within the US.

Good benefits, poor vision

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at STMicroelectronics

Pros

Direct managers take in consideration their employees, work/life balance is good, payed time off is more than adequate.
    401k matching and pension plan.

Cons

Lacking formalization and internal information exchange, limited possibilities to grow, frequent reorganizations show confusion in the upper management. Following every single wish of the customer doesn't always lead to better products.

Concentrate on fewer things and do those things well. It's better to be masters at something than average at everything.

Eye-opening to the way business operate while not having a major presence in the United States.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Intern in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at STMicroelectronics

Pros

Growth within my major, great people who cared about seeing me succeed,

Cons

Long hours during the holiday shut down due to logistics issues and closing out account at the end of the year.

good company to work for the technical level, terrible high level management starting from CEO

Former Employee - Senior Staff Design Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Design Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at STMicroelectronics

Pros

The technical level in ST gives you the possibility to grow from professional point of view, if you you want to.

Cons

No matter how good the device are the management will screw the business sooner or later.
    It's a company where the high level management never pays for the mistakes.

Take responsibility for the mistakes and make managers paying and not just employees.

Good experience for start your career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at STMicroelectronics

Pros

Very international and if your position allow it lots of interaction with management from different Business units. Lots of advantages out of the work and great work-life balance.

Cons

Compensation plan very bad in France and career progression very slow. Bounuses are very small or inexistent at lower levels.

Management promotion is very much based on seniority and age rather than in meritocracy. There should be a program for young talent to promote young management.

Worked for STMicroelectronics? Contribute to the Community!