STMicroelectronics

STMicroelectronics Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

STMicroelectronics President and CEO Carlo Bozotti

Carlo Bozotti

Pros
  • Very good work life/balance - Good team spirit in general (in 70 reviews)

• good working environment in few groups for self-motivated people (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Few career opportunities, low salary compared to Italy's average for graduates (in 12 reviews)

• Conservative decision making after taken long time to arrive de-risk (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Place to work if you can just blend into the mediocrity

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsRelaxed work environment
    Good benefits
    Competitive Salary

ConsRelaxed environment benefits the people who are lazy or subpar performers
    Career advancement is slow
    Management style and direction is inconsistent

Advice to Senior ManagementReward the top performers and get rid of the lackies

Marketing Engineer, division

Marketing Engineer, Division (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Prosthe benenfits are great and the pay is excellent, and the work is very stimulating and challenging and usually pleasant.

ConsEmployees are required to take 7-8 days of vacation every quarter to reduce cost liabilities, It is impossible to use the 3-4 weeks you have earned to take one long and well-earned relaxing vacation. This policy causes stress and is unhealthy. Nobody likes this policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementI realize the company has our European business climate, but to do business in the USA, we have to support our American colleagues who are tasked to do that business in the U.S. customers' expectations. An example of how we are not adequately supporting that business model is: months of work by the salesman and marketing engineer can be lost because someone has to wait a week or more to get information because in the factorys, this happens mostly in France and Italy, Engineer A is on holiday and refers to Engineer B, and Behold! Engineer B is also on holiday and their OoO reply says to refer to the Engineer A. Then at escalation the manager is also on holiday or does not have the info, or some other issue, even to high management, and the action languishes for a week or more and the otherwise sale is lost because the customer's engineer got tired of waiting and called a competitor having plants and engineers in the USA, and got services immediately for the same kind of questions on the competing direct replacement part. We must not continue to allow the customers' engineers to wait for service and lose business because our European business culture is not delivering to the expectations to USA customers. In my division we have lost several high profit opportunities because we are not do a good job on this, and we cannot blame the Americas sales and marketing force. They are on-the-spot for us, but we have to adapt and improve our delays.

OK for an eashy life

Senior Principal Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsRelaxed attitude to work hours, good vacation and pay, very diverse portfolio of products enables many career move options, large diversity of world sites gives opportunity for travel and job advancement.

ConsVery euro-centric management, difficult to break into "inner circle" if not close to European HQ, diversity of product portfolio can often seem to make strategic decision making chaotic with no overall direction for company. This often translates to job uncertainty at the individual level.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversify power structure, bring in outside managers with new ideas.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company depending on which division

Principal Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

Pros* Working environment is relaxed and comfortable
    * Compensation is very competitive to other companies with a good bonus on base salary
    * Could be a good place to learn and gain knowledge
    * Big company that can afford to tackle big markets and product lines
    * Did not lay off as aggressively as other companies during the recession

Cons* Very political in terms of career advancement
    * European management is a disaster. No clear vision of what they want to do. Very slow in taking critical decisions. Can let valuable people leave the company easily.
    * There are good peers but also more than what could afforded of mediocre engineers

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen a product fails due to management mistakes, managers should be affected and not engineers. In order to compete with American companies change has to happen at the top.

Boring

Manufacturing Tech II (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsCompressed Workweeks, decent cafeteria, hilarious international Q&A board.

ConsPoor reviews. As a tech, credit seemed to be given to those who sent the most emails versus those output the most work. Better raises are given to people who do zero work but make themselves the most vocal, while the others pick up the slack.

Don't count on hard work getting you appreciation.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the good employees better, trim the fat (literally), and quality employees might stick around

Inefficient and ineffective organization.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay not too bad. People within the project group are nice in general. Don't need to work like a slave like in some other company.

ConsManagement internal politics. Managers lack managerial skills, not to mention technical skills. Inefficient and ineffective cooperation between project groups (vendor and customer relationship) as there was no mutual trust. Good lead engineers left because of unsupportive work environment. In the end, project got canned and organization got reshuffled, managers replaced. In one instance, a manager from France who took over group was a total idiot, dismissed a good engineer, and eventually led the collapse of the whole group. Of course, after the damage is done, she returned home.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo for management training and learn how to deal with people and peers appropriately. Know who are your gems in your staff and communicate more often.

Dysfunctional organization but easy place to work at.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Carrollton, TX

Proshealthy work environment, laid back take it easy eurpoean mentality, I haven't worked anywhere else but i hear benefits and pay are pretty competitive.

Consmanagement seems to lack direction, difficult to gain visibility for work done, dysfunctional and confusing organization with lots of overlapping functions.

Advice to Senior Managementget away from the penny pinching attitude, most frequent travellers still don't have data cards and smart phone data plans. Emplyees are still forced to fly economy on 20+ hr flights to asia

Great place to start your career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGreat place to learn about international business, working with teams and customers in different regions

ConsIt's a EU company which means the priority will always be EU. Also, it is very difficult to grow in this company unless you are very close to upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be more focus on building new talent as well as maintaining creativity and energy. It would help if there was HR presence to track employee satisfaction in the US.

Generally nice people, very euro-centric, slow moving giant company

Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsCulture is accomodating and kind, unlike hyper-aggressive American companies.
    Opportunities to change division/group/location, and generally supportive

ConsPay is not high, don't expect any stock appreciation
    If giant company is for you, maybe ok place. But don't expect to change the company by yourself

Advice to Senior ManagementMarket is moving quickly, how to counter Mediatek, Broadcom and other faster companies?

st is a nice place to work

Field Applications Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Prosmoney, fto, big company with lots of good benefits.
    Job is very secure even in today job crisis

Consloosing knowledge, not really learning anything. Hw company not software oriented and aware

Advice to Senior Managementkeep what you promised to your employees

Worked for STMicroelectronics? Contribute to the Community!