STV Reviews

Updated September 30, 2014
3.5

STV President & CEO Milo E. Riverso
Milo E. Riverso

Pros
  • The benefits are good and the pay is decent (in 3 reviews)

• The ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Plan) is a huge plus, as are the benefits (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Most of the work is out of an office in a large city which has a higher cost of living (in 4 reviews)

• All of the negative reviews written about the marketing department are true (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company, Fantastic Benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at STV full-time (more than an year)

Pros

STV is a great company. They offer competitive salary and benefits including an employee stock ownership plan. I've been very satisfied with my job and enjoy my boss's leadership style - very transparent. There are lots of developmental tools to work from, including a career lattice and young professionals development program. I look forward to continuing my career here!

Cons

Being in a satellite office can be tough sometimes - but other than that I don't have much to complain about.

Top heavy with VP's, Associates. Not efficient in their project and production management (NYC office).

Former Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at STV full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Healthcare benefits are good. The company pays a large portion. Flexible in working hours. Office located in nice area of city. Going thorough office renovations. Wide exposure of people and project types.

Cons

Lack of effective communications within groups and among external departments, contractors, other ... Unproductive department meetings. Certain people "run off at the mouth". Group leader needs skills in properly conducting/directing meetings. Ideas aren't solicited. Computer-Aided Design (CAD) groups needs better direction/organization to produce better AND to understand what is required. Company could use mentoring and coaching among All levels. Little opportunity for advancement. Severely downsizing some of their departments. High voluntary turnover in marketing, etc..

Think of ways to make [ALL types] employees feel confident and valued. More openness to ideas, will lead to innovation which may lead to more jobs being won and/or successfully completed.

Wondering How It Will Turn Out

I have been working at STV

Pros

I am somewhat new to the STV group of companies. I've had some great interactions with individuals working in the Douglassville and New York offices. Everyone has been cordial, helpful and friendly

Cons

The upper level of the human resources group does not seem to be as informed as they should on relevant HR matters.

Listen to employees with open ears.

Knew I was in trouble when they reneged on an already agreed-to salary.

Current Employee - Marketing Editor
    Current Employee - Marketing Editor

I have been working at STV full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are some excellent managers worth working for. Many non-managerial proposal staff and administrative support personnel are fantastic.

Cons

Unfortunately, the few good managers are massively outnumbered by upper management that should not be in their positions who create an atmosphere of distrust while also constantly harassing employees over minor. During my recruitment I had agreed to a salary with the company, but when I was presented with the offer, the salary had been slashed by close to $10,000 and was a take it or leave it offer. Even their OWN recruiter told me to turn down the job, telling me he was embarrassed to present this to me and couldn't believe how unprofessional STV was being. I only took the job because it was still a raise over what I currently made, but started on day one with one foot out the door looking to leave. Previous reviews from others in the proposal/marketing department are dead on, and it is unfortunate to see that they were written years ago - a clear indication that STV's mandate is that employees are of no value. There is also really no way to advance your skills at the company, as systems are wildly outdated, with management believing all technology and best practices peaked in the mid 90s.

It is a shame because there are some wonderful people in the company who are marginalized and minimized by such uncoordinated policies that are akin to just throwing darts at a board. If STV had even moderately sensible management, the great employees that ARE at STV could grow in their roles and contribute in meaningful ways that would not only make the company more money, but result in a truly collaborative culture where everyone is growing their skills. If STV were to have massive layoffs, many employees there would be at a disadvantage in the marketplace because STV did not help them add anything to their resume. This review could be a 20-page paper and still not be enough.

Also, overtime is "a sign of commitment."

You've heard the same "advice" time and time again. Saying this is the first you heard of it is laughable - you have openly chosen to ignore these problems.

Good place to work once you establish yourself in a career and aren't looking to advance much further.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at STV full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Relatively low stress for consulting engineering. Reasonable hours and workload.

Cons

Not much chance for advancement. Static company. Most managers are new to company (but not all).

People tend to leave after. 5-7 years. Most managers are hired from outside. Try to identify people with potential and groom them for management roles instead of hiring from outside.

The company is making a strong statement in the AEC industry, but losing talent.

Current Employee - APM in New York, NY
    Current Employee - APM in New York, NY

I have been working at STV full-time (less than an year)

Pros

For the most part, the people are very educated/talented. The SENIOR VPs, Exec VPs and the CEO/Pres are all very competent; they are great leaders for the firm. HR, IT, STV University, all their resources and support are definite "pros." The ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Plan) is a huge plus, as are the benefits. The projects are great. Good portfolio of clients. The company has made a massive push for continuing education in all aspects. There is a definite culture in this firm, which I know does not exist in many other places in the industry. Things are very well organized, detailed and outlined for all employees.

Cons

The company heavily recruits and heavily pays for top individuals at the VP or above level. Below the VP level, the company also heavily recruits, though they tend to pay these individuals at below-average levels in today's market. Upper management needs to revamp their dated "salary scales" to bring in and retain young, educated, skilled talent. The guy sitting in the perimeter office raking in $250 - $350k is not the one performing on the job, and running it; the project level people are the ones holding this place afloat.

It seems like some (or all) of the parameters for being a VP in the company are ignored, at least in the CM and Design groups. (IE: people hold this position without any sort of professional license in some instances). Certain individuals are very unprofessional at the VP level, and speak to people like they are peasants. The only people who seem to micromanage are the VPs, which is ironic to say the least. (This certainly does not speak for all VPs, just a select few)

Mediocre office space - needs renovations.

Senior VPs, Exec VPs and the President should attempt to have better/direct communication with project-level people, even if just sparsely. Certain VPs mistreat their project-level employees - they have no problem laying into them or throwing them under the bus for any reason at all, but when "thanks" or "good job" is in order, don't ever expect to receive it, or for that praise to get to the Sr. or Exec. VPs. Many people have left due to certain VPs, as well as the pay scale, and many more are planning on leaving in the upcoming months, including me.

STV Response

Sep 9, 2014Manager, Talent Acquisition

Dear STV Employee,

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your experience at STV. We are glad to see that you have had such a positive experience with our projects, senior management teams
    ... More

For the most part, love the firm

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at STV full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

• professional people are all very knowledgeable
    • signature meaningful projects
    • modest-sized firm where you can get noticed, as opposed to giant firms (e.g., PB, URS, AECOM) where you are not even a drop in the bucket

Cons

• marketing dept too large
    • top heavy in too many aging & older senior engineers who seem to prefer to "run numbers," rather than pursue work for fully billable junior staff...& no one is guiding these expensive staff that their role has changed from a "doer" to a "seller"! So senior staff seem to view their staff as "tools," rather than employees who need nurturing, career guidance, etc.

It was a decent place to get a wide exposure of people and project types.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at STV full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Healthcare benefits are amazing. The company pays a good portion of the rates, and because it's a large company the access to the healthcare providers are really broad.
    They pay overtime also, which has been rare for the design side of the AEC community.

Cons

They were severely downsizing in some of their departments. The people that remain have slowly been leaving for other opportunities. The company is very top heavy, to the point where they let go younger people with great potential to keep older not necessarily better people.

Decent place

Former Employee - Administrative Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at STV full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are top notch. Management has some need for improvement though.

Cons

Office politics! And some of the people need to be let go since they bring down the morale of the office.

Take time to listen to the worker bees, you'd be surprised if you were ever able to have an unfiltered conversation with one.

Great learning experience

I worked at STV

Pros

Good training, exciting projects, great location, they like to invest in their people

Cons

Lack of growth opportunities in certain divisions, their HQ is in the middle of nowhere

STV Photos