STV

STV Reviews

Updated Jun 6, 2014

STV President & CEO Milo E. Riverso

Milo E. Riverso

Pros:
  • "For recent college graduates, this is a great place"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Career advancement, ESOP, culture, leadership, excellent benefits, great co-workers, history, high profile projects, and stability"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most of the work is out of an office in a large city which has a higher cost of living"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Upper management needs to be more in tune with the projects"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

For the most part, love the firm

New York, NY

Pros• professional people are all very knowledgeable
    • signature meaningful projects
    • modest-sized firm where you can get noticed, as opposed to giant firms (e.g., PB, URS, AECOM) where you are not even a drop in the bucket

Cons• marketing dept too large
    • top heavy in too many aging & older senior engineers who seem to prefer to "run numbers," rather than pursue work for fully billable junior staff...& no one is guiding these expensive staff that their role has changed from a "doer" to a "seller"! So senior staff seem to view their staff as "tools," rather than employees who need nurturing, career guidance, etc.

Decent place

Administrative Manager (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe people are top notch. Management has some need for improvement though.

ConsOffice politics! And some of the people need to be let go since they bring down the morale of the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to listen to the worker bees, you'd be surprised if you were ever able to have an unfiltered conversation with one.

It was a decent place to get a wide exposure of people and project types.

New York, NY

ProsHealthcare benefits are amazing. The company pays a good portion of the rates, and because it's a large company the access to the healthcare providers are really broad.
    They pay overtime also, which has been rare for the design side of the AEC community.

ConsThey were severely downsizing in some of their departments. The people that remain have slowly been leaving for other opportunities. The company is very top heavy, to the point where they let go younger people with great potential to keep older not necessarily better people.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood training, exciting projects, great location, they like to invest in their people

ConsLack of growth opportunities in certain divisions, their HQ is in the middle of nowhere

Great flexibility and career opportunities in a positive, exciting, and learning environment

Marketing (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsSTV is a great place to work if you are dedicated to your career and looking for a real opportunity to grow in marketing and/or business development. The senior managers are knowledgeable, extremely flexible and motivating. I am challenged every day and encouraged at the same time. STV strives for quality and perfection in all areas.

ConsI have no cons of STV.

Great Opportunities, Good career growth

Transportation Engineer (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsVariety of projects which helps you develop a wide skills set. Supportive and friendly staff. The supervisors make you feel comfortable, helping you to be confident about your work. Everyone is cross training which contributes to a successful team. Management has a good outlook, the secret for successful project execution and submission.

ConsVery few cons! Give employees opportunities to work on nationwide projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe have a very capable staff, more responsibilities will only bring better performances from everyone. Be aggressive chasing projects, we will be more successful.

Great people and large projects

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery large projects with room to grow and learn.

ConsMost of the work is out of an office in a large city which has a higher cost of living. I would have liked if they could have proportionately bumped up the salary to help to compensate for the higher cost of living.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease talk to the people you manage - communication is crucial to building a team. Some managers were very conversational and had an open door policy, others didn't.

Unsure how they are still in business

Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFinally Giving two week notice.

ConsEmployee owned, low multiplier which means no overhead billing allowed. If you are given the ok to pursue an RFP, prepare to be given the go ahead at the last minute and also prepare yourself to do the proposal on your own time with little or no marketing support.

Also, the characters on the show "Mad Men" had better technology then we had while working there (2008-2010). Their HQ is in Douglasville, Pennsylvania, and I remember when all corporate communications were knocked out for over a week by a nearby accident involving an Amish horse and carriage. I kid you not. I guess redundancy in their systems is a luxury that they are not prepared to absorb.

Wish I didn't have to leave

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood work environment, great people

ConsI do not have any cons.

Influential

ProsThe number one reason why I work here, is my manager. Senior level staff constantly interact with staff members of all levels. This allows for an extremely educational career here. I personally have referred some friends to the company, in other offices, and have begun to see coworkers do the same.

ConsThe biggest con about this company is their adaptability to change. They market themselves as a 100 year old company, and can act 100 years old concerning new ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to new ideas

Worked for STV? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at STV reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for STV CEO Milo E. Riverso. All 56 reviews posted anonymously by STV employees.