SThree Reviews

Reset
3.6
SThree CEO Gary Elden
Gary Elden

Pros
  • Definitely a work, rest and play hard company (in 5 reviews)

• Career progression; training; work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance was non-existent, and any attempt to have some was often looked upon with disdain by senior management (in 4 reviews)

• Some serious Ego's are flying about in the senior management (in 4 reviews)

1. Consultant

I have been working at SThree

Pros

really strong growth potential and ability to make a lot of money in your first year.

Cons

a lot of long hours when your first start

2. Don't stick around too long

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at SThree

Pros

You can fast track career progression, earnings and relocation IF you're lucky... If you're missing college/university's social interactions it has it's similarities; minus the intellectual side! A lot of people find their future love partners at the company, and they're pretty liberal about it.

Cons

.. but everything is fast tracked, including your decline.:people with experience (or smart people) have no reason to stay there more then 2-3 years or are pushed out. Churn because of company culture and job burnout Total lack of management maturity and education Narrow minded management culture Unfriendly conditions for women to access managerial functions Recruitment sales consultants salaries peak at 2-3 years of employment but is bad at the start and doesn't compete anymore against other sales jobs when you start having more experience They're easy to relocate people but accepting a relocation to the USA is a career dead end Micro-management typ of environment with call-center types of crowded offices A lot of work life balance initiatives not respected by lower middle management

Advice to Management

Start accepting a different way of thinking and a more professional work environment if you want the company to grow. I've only heard about growth during my +5 years but come back to earth: not much has grown if you look at the figures.

3. More than what meets the eye

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at SThree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You're paid - The people in the office were nice - Able to network with people after work - nice team vibe

Cons

This position requires a lot of focus on quantitative work and less on qualitative. Management is all about what THEY want and not about your individual goals. Upper management makes the goals, and everyone is is responsible for the leg work. Incentives rarely included the little people and were most times not achievable. No work/life balance AT ALL. Be there before 8am (or you're late) and leave closer to never. Try to leave at 5, you are frowned upon. This company has the "it" people then the "lackies". If you're in the it group, you're praised like never before. If you're a lackie doing all of the leg work, you get little to no praise. Management is very sneaky and will cut like they care but do things behind your back. Don't ask to move to something else or what your other options are, you will not be heard of cared about. MICROMANAGEMENT at all times, throughout your entire career.

Advice to Management

You claim that the goals are for the team, step up and be apart of that team. Listen to tour employees and respect their needs.

5. Great growth, money, and training

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SThree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meritocracy for promotions, no limit on how quick you can move up. Un-capped commission, Great and thorough training program. Fun culture, but also take work seriously. Opportunity to be client facing right away and be autonomous. Good benefits, over 5 weeks of vacation time. Growing rapidly, lots of opportunity to move up into leadership positions. The things they tell you in the interview are truthful, the management is very transparent about what they offer to you.

Cons

No major cons. People are really friendly and care about helping you get better

Great place to learn cold calling

I worked at SThree full-time

Pros

High energy and fast paced. In right circumstances can get promoted quickly. Young and fun co workers

Cons

With everything decentralized getting paid and commission issues take months to fix. If your not in a happening market or are under a manager who is not good you get stuck in an underpaid mis managed night mare.

Advice to Management

Higher starting salaries and pay overtime. Also improve overall IT. working on Internet explorer 5 is a joke

Terrible Management, Total Boys Club

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at SThree (More than a year)

Pros

-Uncapped commission structure, with pretty decent payouts if you can stack your sales. -Great incentives. -Young, energetic co-workers. -Decent formal training (though the real way to learn is to emulate top billers). -We are moving to a beautiful new office. -The SThree brands are becoming more and more recognizable in the US. -This job will teach you to be disciplined and punctual, and if you pay attention, you will learn a great sales skill set.

Cons

-Upper management is completely disconnected from their employees; maybe now that we have had some turnover they will realize how unhappy the majority of us are. -They claim that career advancement is completely meritocratic, but several managers have been promoted based on inflated (read: FALSE) numbers. We know you didn't hit your targets, so we don't respect your authority. -Total boys club. It can be incredibly frustrating/intimidating/humiliating to be a woman on the desk. Oh, and don't think we aren't scratching our heads over the fact that there are as many women as men at this company and there are still an absurdly low proportion of female managers/directors. (As a side note, and overwhelming majority of the people who recently left were women.) -Management will endeavor to learn as much as they can about you, your professional aspirations, and your personal life and use it to manipulate you. They will figure out your paint points and harp on them until you produce or crack. With very few exceptions, these people are NOT your friends, although they do an awesome job of making you believe otherwise. -Sales is absolutely a numbers game, but the emphasis on KPI's can be wildly excessive at times. Hint: It also gives away the fact that you don't actually care about us as people, only as revenue producers. -The atmosphere has become increasingly unprofessional. If you come in drunk from last nights party, it's not a problem as long as you were out with coworkers (this includes managers). -I don't know where to begin with the CEO. Maybe I'll just say that the unprofessional atmosphere, especially as it pertains to women, probably filters down from him.

Advice to Management

If you don't start showing at least some signs that you will take steps to improve employee welfare, I won't be the only one who starts looking elsewhere...

SThree Response

Nov 6, 2014 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Many thanks for your feedback and I'm sorry to hear that your experience at SThree wasn't entirely positive. I know that our management team cares passionately about the welfare and success of ... More

8. Energetic Company

I have been working at SThree

Pros

You get to work with dynamic people that are excited about what they do! Great benefits, PTO, uncapped commission!

Cons

It's a tough industry to break into, and you have to become an expert in your market very quickly

9. I have only been with the company for 2 weeks, but I love it here already!

Current Employee - Resourcer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Resourcer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SThree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely supportive environment; questions are welcomed and encouraged. Young, vibrant office atmosphere that knows how to work hard and have fun. Managers treat you as peers, and everyone is valued. Excellent opportunities to move forward within the company, and training is top-notch.

Cons

Haven't come across any thus far! But if you are not fully committed to working hard day in and day out, this company may not be for you.

10. Great Earning Potential - Excellent Sales Career

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SThree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great commission structure Amazing sales culture Strong training program Room for advancement Excellent benefits 4 weeks vacation!!!

Cons

Hours can be long but efficiency is key

11. Incredible opportunity for driven, motivated people - great earning potential and career growth

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SThree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am only a year out of college and already am more successful than the majority of my former classmates and my friends who graduated years ago (both in terms of earnings and career growth). This is a truly unique opportunity to join a growing company, and allows you to earn UNLIMITED commission and you can literally be a manager after being with the company for two years or even less. I am never bored and I love the challenging work environment. I also feel a really close connection and tight-knit bond with my team, who are super supportive and encouraging on days when the job could be tough. The wins in this position are amazing, and when I work hard enough, I can end the month with a 20K pay check or even more. I am really passionate about this company and the management, and they've shown me over the past year that they truly care about their employees and their happiness. Not to mention, there are amazing perks to this job -- 22 days PTO per year (which roll over the next year if you don't use them), trips to miami, vegas, fun team nights out, incredible meals, etc. I feel so grateful for this opportunity and know that I will be with the company for years and years to come.

Cons

This job is a great fit for me, but definitely not for everyone. You need to be super motivated, eager to learn, resilient, and driven. If you are looking for a super relaxed, work from home, 'come in late' or 'leave early' type of place, this is not the best job for you.

RSS Feed </> Embed