SUEZ

SUEZ Reviews

Updated Dec 7, 2013
SUEZ – Belgium – “T1”

Gérard Mestrallet

GDF SUEZ is a place to work for in Energy industry

Portfolio Manager (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at SUEZ

ProsSUEZ is an international energy company and therefore it provides many opportunities across the globe. I like the company culture at Suez. People who are smart, work hard and do not mind taking additional responsibilities are eventually recognized. People who steps up to the plate when it is needed and take the challenge and get the job done are eventually rewarded. The competetitiveness among employees are mild, which is good. People are not just sitting around and doing nothing and they are not also cutting each other throats to be able to move forward. Thus, harmony is well balanced. It is a company to work for if you plan to stick around and keep producing. It ultimately pays off!!

ConsAlthough it is a huge international energy corporation, career opportunities seem to be more regional. In other words, if you want to work in Italy, you really need to push it hard. It will not come to your way through HR. Suez is very well balanced and diversifed in so many nature. Even though this sounds to be an advantage, it is disadvantageous since the company is not aggressive enough. Essentially, it is sometimes difficult to stimulate each employee's intellectual curiosity. And the salary seems to be a bit below market average or at best it is at market average.

Advice to Senior ManagementGDF SUEZ is an international energy giant. Therefore, the mobility across the globe should be more dynamic and encouraged among employees. For instance, if I want to move to Middle-East and work for Suez there, it is not as easy as it sounds. 80% of the company's focus is in Europe. As a result, the company appears to be a European utility with some branches internationally as opposed to a global corporation. It should be more balanced across the globe. I also think that the company needs to be more compatitive in terms of salaries, benefits, etc. to be able to attract more talents.

Great experience, good international experience

Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at SUEZ full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood international experience. Strong LNG trading and power company. Developing quickly in terms of E&P and LNG production project development expertise.

ConsFrench nationals get preferred treatment. A lot of programme and project management standards and processes still to be developed. Competencies at the programme management level still to be developed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of all of your employees, not just the French

Strategy Analyst Intern

Analyst (Former Employee)
Paris (France)

I worked at SUEZ full-time for less than a year

ProsGood opportunity to get to know the energy sector
Allows for insight into strategy and financial analysis
Good work environment among interns

ConsNo employment opportunities
Learning curve flatens after a few months and then it's just work
Management does not seem able to communicate and organize. Half of HQ is in Brussels, the other half in Paris. That does not seem to help.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with your employees to get projects done on time and with satisfying quality.

A company with great international exposure and career opportunities.

IT Manager (Current Employee)
Bucharest (Romania)

I have been working at SUEZ full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTeam spirit, very good opportunities for network

ConsA bit too beaurocratic, decisions making takes quite long.

GDF SUEZ Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SUEZ as an intern for less than a year

ProsLarge company, lots of benefits, large investments in R&D with PhD in their research centers.
Good work-life balance

ConsThe work culture is absolutely castrating, with managers competing with each other rather than trying to help their underlings. Being a French company, there is a huge problem of casts. It's always people coming from the same school that go to the top, and for others the glass ceiling is there. Salaries are also unfair: somebody fresh from the top French engineering schools will earn more than a PhD with 3 years experience. Salaries are solely based on seniority and responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the BS, and stop showing the worst characteristics of the French system. Go on a performance-based system for salaries and managing positions.

not on the way up

Category Manager (Current Employee)
Brussels (Belgium)

I have been working at SUEZ full-time for more than 5 years

Prossecurity of employment and size of the organization

Consthe higher you are, the more exposed you are to silly political bureaucracy

Advice to Senior Managementget more efficient and trust your teams + get rid of the branch directors acting for their own interest

Decent Company

I have been working at SUEZ

ProsDecent Benefits
Stable company
Growing in many areas

ConsExpect too much of employees without providing resources
IT not

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in IT! Systems are archaic.

Worked for SUEZ? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SUEZ reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SUEZ CEO GĂ©rard Mestrallet. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by SUEZ employees.