SUNY Brockport

John R. Halstead

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

No resources = no success

Brockport, NY

ProsBenefits, many of the people, interaction with youth, grounds, importance of the work we are doing.

ConsA 40% reduction in state support is taking a toll. The last four years have seen deteriorating morale, performance, an increased workload, fighting for resources, and bitterness. The climate is turning toxic. I still have hope it is temporary.

Advice to Senior ManagementI thrive working independently. Yet some leadership is necessary. I don't feel it exists at this time.

After one academic year I'm ready to leave

Anonymous (Current Employee)
    Brockport, NY

ProsLiving in Brockport is nice...

ConsThe Chair of the Department is incompetent, autocratic and plays favorites. Junior faculty, especially women are stifled and demoralized. I was lied to by the Chair at interview. The Dean and upper management know all this and do nothing. The salaries are frozen and at promotion salary increase is a joke. If you want to live out your days as a cog in the machine then this is the place for you...

Advice to Senior ManagementClean out middle management and respect academic faculty as professionals.

Climate of Mediocrity

Counselor (Former Employee)
    Brockport, NY

ProsThere were still some good people left that truly value student success but they are few and far between anymore.

ConsMorale is incredibly low because senior management plays favorites and if you disagree you are simply discarded in favor of someone that will tell them what they want to hear. Senior management says they are about student success but what they forget is that the people on the ground actually assisting students are tired, feel under appreciated and are getting fed up.

Advice to Senior ManagementBy favoring those that only tell you want you want to hear, you have created a climate of mediocrity. The ones that stay either have to because of their salaries or because they are in favor for the moment. It is no way to run a college that is supposed to be all about student success.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Save yourself some time, keep looking...

Adjunct (Current Employee)
    Brockport, NY

ProsThe Union has good food.

ConsTenure and unions help people to hang on to their jobs when a lot of them should not be leading a classroom and aren't pulling their weight from a research/publications/service perspective. Being a state school, the hoops that you have to jump through in order to do anything is maddening and everything is left to committees who fight over everything. Lots of egos and opinions from folks who don't want to do the work that needs to be done to drive the College forward. This place could turn an eternal optimist into a complete curmudgeon.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who actually care, are willing to put the necessary work in, and aren't just looking for a pay check.

Very Enjoyable Work Environment

Resident Assistant (Current Employee)
    Brockport, NY

ProsVery accepting environment. Open to hear ideas

ConsSlightly monotonous. Very "in your face"

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Both a student and part-time student employee

Tutor (Current Employee)
    Brockport, NY

ProsIt is a good place to work for students while attending school and classes

ConsThere is not much communication between departments. There are a few times when no one knew what the next step in the process was, when many of the employees have worked in the department for many years.

Worked for SUNY Brockport? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SUNY Brockport reviews and ratings in Brockport, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SUNY Brockport CEO John R. Halstead. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by SUNY Brockport employees.