SUNY Brockport Reviews

John R. Halstead

1. Senior Marketing Coordinator

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Coordinator
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Coordinator

I worked at SUNY Brockport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Great family like experience * Always full of work to do * Very lax/open to your ideas and style

Cons

* Young people can be jerks

2. Great job

Former Employee - EOP Supplemental Instructor in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - EOP Supplemental Instructor in Rochester, NY

I worked at SUNY Brockport (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the pros are that it helped build my communication skills and improved my teaching skills.

Cons

Some of the cons are that the students didn't want to learn at times

3. Great leadership

Former Employee - Desktop Support/Student Web Developer in Brockport, NY
    Former Employee - Desktop Support/Student Web Developer in Brockport, NY

I worked at SUNY Brockport part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great leadership especially in the webdev team. Very knowledgeable full-time staff. Supervisors very approachable and helpful in problem solving. Very flexible hours for part-time students.

Cons

Pay is minimal with few opportunities for raises. No other serious cons. Sometimes hours are limited due to overstaffing.

Very poor future outlook for an institution with an already poor regional reputation

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Brockport, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Brockport, NY

I worked at SUNY Brockport full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of friendly, open-minded, devoted people working very hard in the lower echelons of this institution. The brick-filled campus has a visual charm. New Athletics facilities are nice and modern. The Physical Education program has seen a large (unsustainable in my opinion) growth of students and resources on campus. Winter break is longer than most universities (5 weeks) and no work is done during that period (campus fully shuts down for 2 weeks), affording an opportunity to spend a long stretch of time away from the local harsh winter. Tenure-track faculty are hired to work only from Mid-August to Mid-May (9-month contracts; the campus is practically deserted in summer). Contract renewals must be decided on, one year prior to their expiration. Some of the benefits are really good. Health insurance plans are paid 90% by the State, 10% by the employee; whereas 401K contributions are matched up to 7% until tenure (after tenure State contributes 15%). Dental and Vision are not covered, unless you join the Union of University Professors. Sabbatical leaves are available after 7 years of work (half academic year leave at full pay, or full academic year leave at half pay). Sick day leave is available to faculty, but no PTO.

Cons

Very poor outlook. Among the Western New York region (where most students come from), Brockport has a reputation as a "party school". This is regularly reinforced by local media stories, which degrades the morale of faculty and public perception of those who work for this institution (who wants to work for a institution not respected by most locals?). For instance, a large-scale party held in the last day of classes of the academic year (formerly known as Brock the Port) regularly produced a plethora of bad PR stories due to the reckless behavior of students in the entire vicinity of campus. It has cemented the regional "party school" image for decades among high school students. This, in turn, has brought in a large share of new students every year who are attracted by that "party school" fame. Needless to say, faculty have had to deal with a progressively larger number of students who are not academically-inclined and have little interest in learning. They inflate the less academically-demanding majors on campus that cater to that student population. Financially, the trend is poor too. New York State has substantially decreased its funding of State schools due to budgetary problems that are unlikely to change. Faculty have recently been forced in furloughs and salaries were frozen. The salary increase from promotion is minimal. Concerns about decreases in application/enrollment targets has led the institution to relax standards and bring even more poorly-prepared students. Probably the worst con is the quality of middle and upper management. It is plagued by a small town/small network mentality with a culture to promote individuals from within, even when there are more talented people from another institution who apply for a job. The proliferation of middle-management and non-academic personnel has been staggering, and has exacerbated the institution's financial woes. Recently, SUNY Brockport almost lost its Middle States Accreditation (which would disqualify students from securing federal loans) due to a major lapse by upper management and that resulted in an enormous amount of rushed and unexpected workload onto the regular faculty. Those responsible for that blunder remained in power. All in all, these image, financial, and management problems point to a very bleak future for this institution. It is not a place for a long-term career commitment.

Advice to Management

Clear house.

6. Decent job

I have been working at SUNY Brockport

Pros

flexible schedule, student interaction, no micromanagement

Cons

feeling that staff are unimportant in faculty's eyes, too much work

Advice to Management

workload creep is an ever-present issue. While we are happy to take on tasks when possible, there tends to be a constant feeling of "it has to be done, but there is nothing one else to do it"

7. Great undergraduate job!

I have been working at SUNY Brockport

Pros

This was great for me while I was a full-time student. I was able to practice skills I learned in lower level courses while having time to manage my current courses.

Cons

Sometimes it was difficult to explain something that was at a much lower level than what I am currently taking. Few hours a week

8. Great

I worked at SUNY Brockport

Pros

Good School, great hours, fun

Cons

Challenging hours, face time, rubiks cube

Advice to Management

too hard

9. After one academic year I'm ready to leave

Current Employee - Anonymous in Brockport, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Brockport, NY

I have been working at SUNY Brockport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Living in Brockport is nice...

Cons

The Chair of the Department is incompetent, autocratic and plays favorites. Junior faculty, especially women are stifled and demoralized. I was lied to by the Chair at interview. The Dean and upper management know all this and do nothing. The salaries are frozen and at promotion salary increase is a joke. If you want to live out your days as a cog in the machine then this is the place for you...

Advice to Management

Clean out middle management and respect academic faculty as professionals.

No resources = no success

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brockport, NY

I have been working at SUNY Brockport full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, many of the people, interaction with youth, grounds, importance of the work we are doing.

Cons

A 40% reduction in state support is taking a toll. The last four years have seen deteriorating morale, performance, an increased workload, fighting for resources, and bitterness. The climate is turning toxic. I still have hope it is temporary.

Advice to Management

I thrive working independently. Yet some leadership is necessary. I don't feel it exists at this time.

11. Disappointing departmental leadership. I am looking for other jobs.

I have been working at SUNY Brockport full-time

Pros

Lovely area to live. Teaching is 3/3.

Cons

The Chair of my department stifles young scholars from innovating is autocratic & incompetent

Advice to Management

Give tenure track employees a reason to invest in their future. Clear out the deadwood at the department chair level.

RSS Feed </> Embed