SUNY Downstate Medical Center

Be The First To
Add Photos

SUNY Downstate Medical Center President Dr. John F. Williams

Dr. John F. Williams

A great internship experience with people who really care about what they do.

Mental Health Counseling (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsGreat supervision. Very welcoming teachers, staff and therapists who work in a team approach.

ConsOnly problem was after the internship was over, there were no available paid positions at the school.

Good working experience for 30+ years at SUNY downstate.

Staff Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsMulticultural environment, meet interesting people from various countries. Took time off whenever I needed to and other employees and myself was able to work our vacation schedule without a problem.

ConsYou can work for many years without the department offering you a raise; unless you speak up you will never get one (they always claim that there is no money to give you one) but trust me, they have it but just want you to work hard and be a nice employee and don't ask for a raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is now in the process of restructuring Downstate and as a result some of us have lost or will be losing our jobs. The problem is that management is not taking into consideration that they are getting rid of valuable employees that make (and have made) major contributions to the hospital and the College of Medicine. Retrenching employees who have done outstanding work for so many years that they have been working there, is wrong. I suggest that the president do some research on employees who are recommended for retrenchment before signing the letters; take a look at the employees work history and performance evaluations. The job title and the tasks performed by an employee does not go hand in hand. If the work that an employee perform doesn't belong in that department, then move the employee to the right location and avoid retrenching him/her.

Dysfunctional Research Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsColleagues are supportive and generous

Consadministration is dysfunctional, obstructive towards basic science and clinical research, and retaliatory towards any perception of criticism; culture of suspision

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Think hard about this place.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSick patients. Decent benefits. Some of the patients have no where else to go, therefore, lots of pathology is seen.

ConsDifficult work environment. Lack of support from upper management. More effective and engaged leadership would be helpful. Lack of staff for some areas

NICE PLACE TO WORK

Student Assistant (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

Prosi like working their because of the nice co-workers. good opportunity to learn and get experience.

ConsThe people who work in HR take so long to process hiring for all the background check and paper work.

good for the community the people need it

Janitor (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

Prosit like being with family working everyday

Conshaving more staff to work on a daily bases

Advice to Senior Managementthe hospital is needed in the community it has being there for 130 years and it is one of the best in brooklyn please keep it going

It was great working at SUNY Downstate Medical Center.

Cleaner (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsI like meet new people and help the patient when I would. Sometime the nurses or nurse assisting would be busy with other patient and patient may need a blank or a pillow the small thing .I really enjoy my work.

ConsThe bad part about working in SUNY Downstate Medical Center when a patient pass away. It was new to me I was friend with them. Some of them had no family to visit them.

Frustrating

Clinical Assistant Professor/Attending Physician (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsGood pay, work-life balance is great. leadership is lacking. there are no perks to this company. the hospital is in a rough neighborhood.

ConsSlow management, mismanaged, culture is of looking out for yourselves instead of the patient.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease sell the Bay Ridge branch

Great working atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood training for residents and fellows
    nice working atmosphere among the residents and fellows
    interesting patient population for learning purposes

Consvery slow administrative process
    poor management and very disorganized
    feel unsafe during night time in the surrounding areas

It was very eye opening.

Medical Assistant Intern (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsI've learned how to be more professional. Doing in internship at a hospital made me feel important and I felt like I was part of the hospital.

ConsWorking with different people and their personalities.

Worked for SUNY Downstate Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!