SUNY at New Paltz

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steven G. Poskanzer

Very friendly people, great work environment, little to no support for growth and development

Research Analyst (Former Employee)
    New Paltz, NY

ProsThe people are great. I got along well with almost everyone. It was not a high stress environment. Most people are open to ideas, and most people are rather liberal-minded in general.

ConsThere were budgeting issues. When I left . we were getting pay cuts and furloughs after years of no raises. I barely made more than when I started after taking on increasing amounts of responsibility year after year. They did not offer promotion or development. I could have been even more effective with the proper tools and skillset, but they would not allow the time or money for these. That ultimately lead me to seek employment elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out the budget. The state isn't going to give you more money. Get it together with fundraising. It is how it is done all over the country. When you cannot provide raises, offer something else instead....training, extra time paid time off, promotions... You lose good people, because their efforts are not rewarded properly.

: )

ProsGreat community and work-life balance

Students are wonderful

Most professionals are kind and approachable

Wonderful location

ConsLow pay

Not always recognized for contributions

Great people, great culture

Research Analyst (Former Employee)
    New Paltz, NY

ProsThe people are friendly. Everyone works as a team. I miss it.

ConsThere were budget cuts, and I did really have too many development opportunities, which is what wanted.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you provide development opportunities for people looking to learn more and advance.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great

Coach (Former Employee)
    New Paltz, NY

ProsSchool, a little run down, but has a nice artsy vibe.

Conssome may think its a little too rural

Graduate Assistant

ProsLearn new content
    Good for international student because it does not use the visa

ConsSalary is very low compared to the number of hours

Great

ProsEnvironment- the environment is very relaxed and everyone looks our for one another.
    Team Work- the team work is very well done and everyone is on the same page

ConsReporting- It can take time for someone to report back to you with information

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly thing I would say is be more time conscious when it comes to replying to emails/questions

Open/friendly environment with layers of dysfunction

Lecturer (Current Employee)
    New Paltz, NY

ProsThe campus and village provide a very accepting atmosphere and picturesque location. The administration seems to support intellectual freedom. Diversity is a big buzzword on campus, and the faculty, staff, and students reflect positive core values overall in embracing that facet of the school's identity.

ConsThe students are a highly mixed bag when it comes to academic performance: as an instructor you see everything under the sun. While I was fortunate to have a 5-10% pool of stellar students, the vast majority can be summed up as indifferent, apathetic, inattentive, and intellectually adrift. They are looking to be entertained and struggle to engage with even basic concepts. Deductive reasoning skills, direction-following, and cultural preparation prior to college are borderline abysmal (e.g. not knowing where Sydney was in the world, or very generally, what Galileo did of great import.). As an instructor, especially if tasked with freshman-heavy courses, the students expect to do 25% of the actual work involved in the clearly stated objectives. Students from New York City generally need the greatest amount of remedial help even though they often demonstrate an apparent willingness to work hard. Students from Long Island, and there are many, represent the worst of that demographic, generally - overindulged in their upbringing, under-challenged, and oblivious of their own faults to the point of arrogance.

The College has been promoting itself as an increasingly selective institution, as reflected in the applicant pool and testing scores of those admitted. To me, this is largely misleading - a PR push to increase visibility for a distinctly mediocre institution - after having taught at the school for several years and witnessing a flat if not downward trend in the quality of students. Faculty members are saddled with heavy teaching loads and significant advising duties; these combined with a personal research agenda and the desire to maintain an active presence at campus activities... something has to give. The financial remuneration for all of these significant efforts is lackluster given the cost of living in the area, and satisfaction from students' intellectual commitment and growth - as highlighted above - cannot be factored into the equation unless focusing on a narrow range.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer less show, more substance. Implement stronger retirement initiatives for that swath of fossilized faculty members who bog down general faculty meetings with their rhetorical-philosophical attempts at oneupmanship. Return to a more classical General Education framework as opposed to PC touchy-feely categories satisfied by 'intellectually rigorous' courses such as "History of Rock" or "History of Jazz". Insist on and monitor the skills/craft of elocution in both writing and speaking, not to mention logical argumentation and close reading (ideas that are supposedly central to the mission of the school yet are fundamentally lacking in students every step of the way.) Dismantle the culture of non-conformity (while maintaining openness and inclusion)... i.e. the 'fight the power' attitude that causes naive students to question rules before they even have a solid grasp of what those rules are.

Stable academic life with limited growth

Assistant Professor (Former Employee)

ProsThe school has good work/life balance.

ConsSUNY New Paltz offered relatively low compensation, low annual merit raise, and minimum increase over promotions. School did not offer sufficient funding for research.

Friendly and relaxed environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosit is a small campus and easy to figure your way around.
    people are friendly and the environment is very quite.

Consthe town is some what isolated ( if you came from the City's mentality)

The college athletic center is a good place for students to work a part time job

Fitness Monitor (Current Employee)
    New Paltz, NY

ProsI am a student athlete who worked in the wellness and recreation center. Everyone there was really nice and they were flexible with working around my busy schedule

ConsThe only con to working in the athletic and wellness center was that it could get a little boring sometimes

Worked for SUNY at New Paltz? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SUNY at New Paltz reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SUNY at New Paltz CEO Steven G. Poskanzer. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by SUNY at New Paltz employees.