SUPERVALU

www.supervalu.com

SUPERVALU Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Sam K. Duncan

Pros
  • Flexible work environment and competitive pay(in 11 reviews)

• collaborative culture, work life balance(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • One challenge is a work-life balance for sure(in 10 reviews)

• People are in middle to upper management positions without the proper experience(in 14 reviews)

Grocery biz is tough place to stay creative

Information Technology (Former Employee) Boise, ID

ProsExciting, challenging with great pay and wonderful colleagues. If you embrace change and with all it brings, you'll fit in well.

ConsShrinking margins have forced org to significantly reduce staff and cut costs at every corner. Unfortunately, this results in less productivity, creativity and growth for all. Not a great strategy to hang your hat on.

Advice to Senior ManagementSettle in on a strategy and stick with it and remember that your people are you best assets.

Its hard to be in retail

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe employees were good people. Avg in salary compensation, avg in benefits. People wanted the company to succeed

ConsThe company had too many challenges. Lots of initiatives that didnt help that much. The company ended up being bought out by Cerberus. It was big ship and it took too much time to course correct.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince the old management has been replaced I dont know what the new management is like. I think the key is to keep prices low, take care of your customers and employees and figure out how to be relevant in the grocery industry.

Improving- but to each their own

ProsGreat employees, flexible work environment, ok pay

ConsBenefits are mediocre- definitely room for improvement; not a lot of development opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementI think it's heading in the right direction, continue focusing on the big picture.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unsteady

Category Merchandiser (Former Employee) Pleasant Prairie, WI

ProsSupervalu has been good to me for the first 18 years. They've struggled for the remaining five, but hopefully they are making strategic decisions to build their business for future success. Supervalu paid for 1/2 of my college education and has promoted me three different times.

ConsOne challenge is a work-life balance for sure. It seems the work really isn't evenly laid out amongst peers, some are overworked and some are underworked. Leadership has been skakey over the last several years.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep an open line of communcation with all employees, bring back raises and give the employees something to strive for. Consider creating comp time for those that find themselves working way more than they should to get something done.

Challenging

Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsWorked with a lot of really good people. Many employees with many years of experience who know the business. Also, had some flexibility with my schedule.

ConsThe company has been going through a lot of changes over the years and faced financial challenges. Time will tell if it will be able to survive these challenges, along with the growth in competition. Over the years, lay offs have taken their toll causing uncertainty for remaining employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and be open with them.

SUPERVALU

ProsGreat people! Flexible work environment and competitive pay.

ConsRegular cutbacks and layoffs. Decisions are made without full knowledge and understanding of impact.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider identifying impact to decisions prior to making the decisions.

A challenge that will make or break you.

Anonymous (Current Employee) Mechanicsville, VA

Pros-Start out pay is good; 15.20 an hour (once qualifications are met - 16.20 an hour).
    - Great place to work for any person that is up for challenge, change, and motivation.
    - The goal (the motivation/requisition of an order selector) is to meet the daily/weekly average. There is an incentive bonus added to ones overall pay that is based on your weekly score. Minimum score requirement for the week is a 95%.
    - There are tons of opportunities to grow, learn new things, and work you're way up.
    - Supervalu is one of the top highest in revenue grocery distributors in the U.S. This assures it's employees of job security.
    - You basically work alone.
    - Fast paced environment. There's not much time for chitchat or any drama.
    - Guaranteed 40+ hours (as of right now) a week.
    - Fellow employees are very cool and easy to get along with. I will say that Supervalu has done a great job in finding the people that they need to fulfill their requirements, but they also have done an even greater job in finding those who are compatible with others.

Cons- Tough work environment. It is slightly dark, dreary, cold, and claustrophobic in the warehouse, but it comes with the turf. Keep in mind that it is an old warehouse.
    - The perishable side needs a lot of work. The isles are confusing to new hires and it's on the verge of becoming a safety hazard.
    - Concrete floors are cracked and uneven; making it hard to keep product in place when commuting from isle to isle.
    - Long work days (good or bad; depending on the person's personal life). Overtime is often thrown at you last minute, as well as any mandated work days when extra help is needed.
    - Only 30 minutes for lunch. I really feel like the warehouse employees deserve an hour lunch break, especially on busy/overtime workdays. You start to feel like a robot after awhile, so I definitely think a non-mandatory/optional one hour reboot time could help improve work productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need more people! Especially the youth. Remember that the younger generations are what make an old company grow even older. Please continue to make your employees happy just as you are and reassure them of their hard work and efforts more often. Be honest and upfront; do not sugar coat any economical issues (if there are any) that might hurt the company and it's employee's.

lack of direction, slow to move ahead

Pros5 minute drive, great people to work with

Consthe pay scale was very low

Okay if you need a job

Safety (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsOkay benefits, flex time, work at home

ConsSlow to change, micromanaged, company not doing well

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees some autonomy to make decisions

Was a wonderful place to work

IT Tech (Current Employee) Green Bay, WI

ProsExcellent people who are very good at what they do.

ConsCompany has had high turnover in sr. management; lots of golden parachutes. No pay raises for three years; 401k matches removed; constant closing of regions/dc's; constant downsizing/layoffs

Advice to Senior ManagementAbsolutely nothing.

Worked for SUPERVALU? Contribute to the Community!