SUPERVALU
www.supervalu.com Eden Prairie, MN 5000+ Employees

SUPERVALU Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Sam K. Duncan

Pros:
  • "collaborative culture, work life balance"
    in 11 reviews
  • "I work with great people within my department"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "poor benefits & work/life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Employees are treated by upper management as though they are an expense instead of valuable assets"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I love the people I work with. However, I feel as though the company is slowly declining and needs updating.

Department Specialist (Current Employee)
Mechanicsville, VA

I have been working at SUPERVALU full-time for more than a year

ProsI work with great people within my department. Benefits are OK and my salary is average for my position.

ConsSeems as though the company is not doing very well. It is stable, but declining. Also, the building is far from updated and rather dreary. Not an exciting place to go to every day. Also, there is not much room for advancement. Not very many young people work here. Most people are at least 40+. They need to hire young because the fresh minds are what is going to keep this company afloat.

worked at SUPERVALU in HR

Human Resources Department (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I worked at SUPERVALU full-time for more than 8 years

Prosgood department
Sam Duncan seems like he'll be more successful than the last 3 guys in the big chair

Consmiddle and upper management
poor benefits & work/life balance
lack of direction in some areas
in some cases, lack of follow-through, either due to lack of direction, swift change of direction, or lack of commitment to plans and goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementREALLY take advice from your employees, instead of paying lip service to that idea.

Good place to work

Senior Department Specialist (Former Employee)
Boise, ID

I worked at SUPERVALU full-time for more than 8 years

ProsYou have many opportunities to laterally move throughout the company

ConsMost position changes require to move to another state.

Great mentors who provided guidance and opportunities to succeed.

Pharmacist (Former Employee)
Darien, IL

I worked at SUPERVALU full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLots of opportunities to expand

ConsNo stores in IL and did not want to relocate

long time employee..

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at SUPERVALU full-time for more than 10 years

Prospeople outside my own department

ConsManager only looking out for himself.

Advice to Senior Managementno advice. I do not see any long term success for this company. It is sad to see what it has become.

15 years + experience as Produce Clerk with this company.

Retail Produce Clerk- Store Level (Current Employee)
Millersville, MD

I have been working at SUPERVALU part-time for more than 10 years

ProsOnce past the 90 day pre union membership period, the job is steady but nothing more can be said about in its favor.

ConsLargely INCOMPETENT management at store level; Company RARELY if ever provides needed tools/material to allow a worker to excel at the task.

Advice to Senior ManagementRESPECT your employees, especially the part time salaried workers who are regarded as little more than "fixed" assets.

Still a long way to go

Director (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at SUPERVALU full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCompany is back to what it was before the Albertson's acquisition which could be a good thing because it can know be more focused on their wholesale business and Save A Lot (which was its strength previously) while it tries to figure out retail.

ConsThey still haven't figured out how to be a better retailer and they're starting to price themselves out of the wholesale business as they focus more on hitting margin while sales decline. They've cut back staff so deeply at banner and region headquarters and are spread so thin that they struggle to get just the basic activities done let alone implement improved strategies and programs.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating people like an asset. You can't keep expecting 60 - 70 hours every week with no raises or 401k match and no end in sight and think you're going to improve results long term.

Don't care about employees, it's all numbers.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SUPERVALU

ProsI don't work there anymore

ConsLongevity and years of knowledge means nothing to these people. They cut jobs like other people change socks. Without thought

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to remember what it's like to work for a living. Stop taking bonuses and other benefits and treat your employees better.

Good people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SUPERVALU full-time for more than a year

ProsI got to work with interesting, educated, and nice people. I learned a lot about the retail industry and enjoyed telling people about my job. There was a lot of work to be done, but you were never bored! And added bonus was that they paid reasonably well.

ConsSometimes it seemed like a lack of thorough planning for the future, as well as sticking with antiquated red tape systems made getting work done very difficult sometimes. There was also a lack of training, and very little documentation. To find answers to questions as a new employee meant finding the right person who happened to know the answer.

Its a job

Order Selector (Current Employee)
Hopkins, MN

I have been working at SUPERVALU part-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay for a part time warehouse gig

ConsNo benefits whatsoever. hours vary every week. really hard physical work.
you work 40 hours as a part time employee but never get hired on as a full time employee. which means half the pay, no voluntary overtime, and no benefits.
Very hard to take time off, you get 2 days off a week, not even unpaid vacation time.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your not going to hire us on to full time, at least give us some time off, even if it's unpaid. You wonder why everyone calls in sick all the time.

Worked for SUPERVALU? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SUPERVALU reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SUPERVALU CEO Sam K. Duncan. All 274 reviews posted anonymously by SUPERVALU employees.