SUPERVALU
www.supervalu.com Eden Prairie, MN 5000+ Employees

SUPERVALU Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Sam K. Duncan

Pros:
  • "collaborative culture, work life balance"
    in 11 reviews
  • "I work with great people within my department"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "poor benefits & work/life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Employees are treated by upper management as though they are an expense instead of valuable assets"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Supervalu has been rewarding and challenging, A great place to gain experience

Technical Analyst II (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at SUPERVALU full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe staff and team members are great to work with. Everyday is a new challenge. The work from home and flexibility in schedule are also a great plus. Technical support staff is focused on resolving issues at store level, quickly and professionally.

ConsThe current financial status of the company may dictate the direction of the company. There has been many changes in the upper management, each with a new vision for the company. Current jobs are being transitioned to MN

Mostly Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SUPERVALU full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood if you want to remain in one position and there is a lack any upward or lateral movement
Will pay for your education if you remain there one year after last class is completed
99% of the people were good people to work with on a daily basis

ConsVery hard to move within the company.
Most people left and returned a year or two later for new position they interviewed for when working there

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow people to move internally
this will only help because you will have people who are well rounded and ambitious working for you

Was great - turned to horrible

Director (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I worked at SUPERVALU full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat hardworking people. Good community focus. Training available. Interesting industry and well positioned in the industry.

ConsThe most confused leadership I have ever experienced. Thought they could buy their way into growth and leveraged the entire company to do so. Never believed that WalMart, Target, COSTCO would be able to take them down. Still trying to play in the shrinking "middle" on the retail side.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked hard, Learned a lot

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SUPERVALU full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExposed to a lot of projects, learned a lot

ConsCompany in a state of flux

Chaotic and wasted money, time and resources.

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at SUPERVALU full-time for more than a year

ProsAbility to work remote.
Above average compensation and benefits.

ConsSub-par leadership, strategies and tactics leading to company decline and the need to sell 50% of retail stores.

Good until the last couple of years

Category Merchandiser (Current Employee)
Pleasant Prairie, WI

I have been working at SUPERVALU full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAllow for personal growth. Decent pay.

ConsLast couple of years very unstable company. Entire region where I worked was let go. Worked there for 23 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and share information.

All stars fall eventually

Superintendent (Current Employee)
Oglesby, IL

I have been working at SUPERVALU full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe opportunities for years have been wonderful. I have grown and learned so much during my career.

ConsThe business the last few years has been unstable.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to really investigate the prior trends before purchasing another sub-company. The trail often leads in the same direction if the same people are managing.

Don't be fooled, this is for Save-a-lot, the red-headed step child division of Supervalu

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at SUPERVALU full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt paid steady money during the recession.

Cons- As an assistant manager you have no bonus, no incentive, and they have cut way back on the upper-level training (no more trips to St. Louis for example). You ARE paid overtime, but you can imagine how well that is received. So, you have anywhere from 45-50 hours of work to do in a week and it has to be done in 40 while hitting an SPH (sales per hour) of 250 to 280 (yes, Aldi's is worse, but they at least pay better).
- That means everything falls onto the manager's back. Expect to work 65+ hours minimum. With secret shoppers, customer surveys and a reactionary middle-management team that has literally never run a store under the conditions they are asking you to achieve -there is no room to pause. Work-life balance? Well, maybe if you are divorced and the wife keeps the kids...
- No raise in 2 years despite satisfactory reviews ("company is restructuring"), bonus taken away from ASM's. 401K taken from SM's -just resinstated. Bonus changed on SM's so you stand to make 50% less than previous bonus system AND it is predicated on how well the division and the company does (think about that for a minute).

Advice to Senior ManagementWhere to start.. not they they would listen. This has never been a smart company, and they have promoted from within. Technology-wise, some systems date back to the 80's if not earlier. Inventory management is non-existent, sales tracking is unwieldy and uninformative, company initiatives reflect the flavor of the moment and what ever fire that needs to be put out. And the paperwork.. so much useless paperwork that will get your butt in a sling if you are missing one scrap. And the merchandising skills... I could go on and on. There is no shining pearl in this sea of pig muck. Stay away.

Work your tail off to move up in the company to get slapped in the face...

Co-Manager (Former Employee)
Winona, MS

I worked at SUPERVALU full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt was a job that paid my bills (most of the time). The general manager (now retired) was for the most part willing to work with his employees about needing time off. I made some life long friends from working there. I was able to move up from stock crew to co-manager

ConsThe owner doesn't care about his employees, just cares about making money. I worked there for 12 years and moved up from stock clerk to co-manager over the years. I was pretty much promised by the general manager his position when he retired. About two months before he retired he informed me that they were hiring someone else. Then they promoted and transferred my assistant manager to another store as general manager. So it was like a big slap in the face.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like people and they will take care of your store. Don't treat them just like the dollar signs you see in your eyes.

Awesome headquarters

Marketing Analyst II (Former Employee)
Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at SUPERVALU full-time for more than a year

ProsFacilities are amazing. Ability to work remote and good atmosphere. Good rate of promotions from within.

ConsAt the time layoffs were occurring. Be prepared for learning on the fly, training for what a role does is very limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp people new to the company better understand entry level roles.

Worked for SUPERVALU? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SUPERVALU reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SUPERVALU CEO Sam K. Duncan. All 275 reviews posted anonymously by SUPERVALU employees.