SUPERVALU

www.supervalu.com

SUPERVALU Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Sam K. Duncan

Pros
  • It has also been a company that allows a decent work-life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Flexible work environment and competitive pay (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • One challenge is a work-life balance for sure (in 10 reviews)

• People are in middle to upper management positions without the proper experience (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

A great company to work for who is established and contimuing to head in the right direction

Procurement Buyer (Current Employee) Mechanicsvlle, VA

ProsThe atmosphere is not like working in a jail cell or day care. You are not micro managed. You have the freedom to make your own decisions. You don't have to email someone to tell them you are going on break. You are allowed to be yourself and not expected to be a robot.

ConsI have been here a short time, and so far have come across nothing

The ripple effect of one big change

Account Manager (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsSupervalu has historically had a lot of great people working for it. It has also been a company that allows a decent work-life balance.

ConsSupervalu has been in a state of turmoil for the last eight years due to the after affects of the Albertson's acquisition. This has resulted in job cuts, pay freezes, loss of bonuses and no 401K match. They seem to be turning things around but it will likely be a while before they are completely out of the woods.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should work hard to ensure 401K matches, raises and bonuses continue to be healthy.

Steady Company

Manager (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsBusiness improving slowly but they have a lot of core business.

ConsMultiple Environments and systems, trying to be everything to everybody,

Advice to Senior ManagementConsolidate

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good People, Set Up To Fail

Category Merchandiser (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGreat coworkers and middle management, Workload gives vast experience, Minneapolis metro area offers corporate, supply chain and retail career opportunities

ConsNo work life balance, continue to re-org and downsize to squeeze more out of employees for less, expect top level performance for minimal pay

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that the talent will burn out and move on

Reallignment

Category Merchandiser (Current Employee) Pleasant Prairie, WI

ProsEnvironment is fast passed, however people are great to work with. There are opportunities to advance.

ConsLast few years have been taxing. Company did not back file positions when associates left causing extra work load and stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent with your employees.

New ownership has brought many tough and painful changes to rebuild this company.

Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe long term outlook should grow slowly into a stonger and more stable company.

Cons24/7 business makes for tough work schedules and on call. Operations run lean which translates into long hours or extra days to cover sick and vacation of coworkers. Sarlary is a little low and retirement benefits were cut for company match.

Interesting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsLots of very valuable and varied experience

ConsLack of consistency in leadership and direction

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Company is struggling to keep customers as too much competition is taking their sales.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCasual dress, can wear jeans.

ConsMiddle Management under values their teams and layoffs account for low morale.

Just okay

Department Specialist I (Current Employee)

ProsEveryone is really nice. A lot of diversity including with age. The company is huge which can mean plenty of future opportunities. Cafeteria and huge break room. Everyone wears jeans.

ConsThe warehouse is attached to the office so there's a really different blue collar crowd in the break room.

It is almost pleasant.

Grocery Clerk Formerly Service (Current Employee) Auburndale, MA

ProsI recently transferred to Grocery from Service and it is much better. I get to take my break whenever I want and I hardly ever have harassing customers to deal with.

ConsThe pays not great, and it's hard get great hours. Also, there are almost no benefits. If you work in service you are constantly watched like a hawk by your supervisors and you can hardly move around.

Worked for SUPERVALU? Contribute to the Community!