SUSE Reviews

Nils Brauckmann

A Great Place to work on Linux with Great People

Current Employee - Kernel Developer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Kernel Developer in Portland, OR

I have been working at SUSE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work remotely, from home, and set my own schedule. I get to work on Linux with the Linux community, and I can spend time on projects that I deem interesting or useful. I get to attend Linux conferences in places like San Diego and San Francisco, and travel once a year to Europe. The company is private, so no worries about stock prices, the stock market, quiet periods, etc. And there is reasonable profit sharing.

Cons

The pay is stagnant, i.e. few raises. There are no stock options, and the profit sharing is not guaranteed. And I have to travel to Europe once a year, though I intensely dislike 10-hour flights. Lastly, it is difficult to get to know the other great people in my group because we are so distributed.

Keep doing what you are doing, but maybe give us US folks to option of NOT traveling to Europe so often?

Great people

Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at SUSE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are genuine, care about customers and care about their people. Management lets you build your own success, not a lot of micro management.

Cons

There isn't a lot of innovation in the products. It's primarily around operating systems so there isn't a ton of innovation in operating systems to begin with. Looks like some new products and tools are coming though.

Invest in innovation outside of the OS.

SUSE: Great People, Great Customer Support and Satisfaction

I have been working at SUSE full-time

Pros

SUSE has amazing people that put the customer at the highest priority, as should be done. Anyone using, or considering an Enterprise Linux distributor owes it to themselves to look strongly at SUSE.

Cons

The Operating System does not drive the sale, and is the tail wagging the dog. Blackberry and Windows devices don't sell as much as Android and iOS based phones, why? The OS? No, silly ... the applications available to make them more useful.

SUSE could potentially be in an even better position if there was more focus on the application providers, and bringing joint offerings to market.

An Amazing Place to Work

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at SUSE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A great sense of mission; solid compensation; exceptional management staff; seem to have a "no jerks" rule - really good colleagues. SUSE is a great change from larger tech companies where it's churn and burn, high pressure, and less understanding about work-life balance. The sales engineers are top-notch, the best I've worked with, and a management team (Manager to VP level) that's wicked smart and egoless. Very refreshing.

Cons

Sales quotas a bit high; not aggressive enough marketing efforts or enough marketing resources

Keep the culture the same, and stay the course. Linux is growing and SUSE has amazing products.

Very smart people but not enough resources to get the job done in most efficient way.

I worked at SUSE

Pros

Now private, SUSE is more nimble and responsive to customers and market trends.

Cons

Understaffed, especially in Support and Engineering.

SUSE: You Matter!

I have been working at SUSE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very passionate colleagues to work with in a truly global team setting. Lots of opportunities to advance your career, great work-life balance, at market salaries, above market benefits. Customers and employees really matter. True OpenSource company with a realistic view on mixed IT environments that customers own.

Cons

You are encouraged to take charge of your own career. I hardly think this is a con, but it's not easy for everyone.

Maintain the cooperative culture and global outlook.

Not sure the global reality applies in Brazil

I worked at SUSE full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- overall benefits
    - working with technology pioneers

Cons

the company in brazil doesn't follow the rest of the world situation, as a result of the office in brazil coming from a novell office and not from a attachmate office .
    the brazil senior management it's really not up to date with Linux market

be more realistic !!!!

Great place to work if you are a Linux developer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nuremberg (Germany)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nuremberg (Germany)

I have been working at SUSE

Pros

Global company, great work environment, exciting technology and great people to learn from.

Cons

Base salary lower than average

SUSE Photos

Chameleon and team are ready for you at the SUSE booth at SAPPHIRE NOW.
There's always something awesome happening at the SUSE booth at SAPPHIRE NOW.
Playing to a full house today at SUSE Linux Days in Chicago (Schaumberg)
and the winners are....