SUSE Reviews

Nils Brauckmann

An Amazing Place to Work

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at SUSE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great sense of mission; solid compensation; exceptional management staff; seem to have a "no jerks" rule - really good colleagues. SUSE is a great change from larger tech companies where it's churn and burn, high pressure, and less understanding about work-life balance. The sales engineers are top-notch, the best I've worked with, and a management team (Manager to VP level) that's wicked smart and egoless. Very refreshing.

Cons

Sales quotas a bit high; not aggressive enough marketing efforts or enough marketing resources

Advice to Management

Keep the culture the same, and stay the course. Linux is growing and SUSE has amazing products.

2. Great people and great environment

Pros

Great people and great environment. A lot of momentum and opportunity. Nice offices.

Cons

Future of new company merger

Company is Great ... Department Lacked leadership

Former Employee - Sales Engineer
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer

Pros

The techies were great at Suse. For the most part, the people were great. Software is amazing!

Cons

Manegment lacked a backbone. They would not stand up for thier employees.

Advice to Management

You lose good talent often. In the linux world it is not an easy void to fill. You really need to lookout for your employees better!

A Great Place to work on Linux with Great People

Current Employee - Kernel Developer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Kernel Developer in Portland, OR

I have been working at SUSE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work remotely, from home, and set my own schedule. I get to work on Linux with the Linux community, and I can spend time on projects that I deem interesting or useful. I get to attend Linux conferences in places like San Diego and San Francisco, and travel once a year to Europe. The company is private, so no worries about stock prices, the stock market, quiet periods, etc. And there is reasonable profit sharing.

Cons

The pay is stagnant, i.e. few raises. There are no stock options, and the profit sharing is not guaranteed. And I have to travel to Europe once a year, though I intensely dislike 10-hour flights. Lastly, it is difficult to get to know the other great people in my group because we are so distributed.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, but maybe give us US folks to option of NOT traveling to Europe so often?

6. Great people

Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at SUSE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are genuine, care about customers and care about their people. Management lets you build your own success, not a lot of micro management.

Cons

There isn't a lot of innovation in the products. It's primarily around operating systems so there isn't a ton of innovation in operating systems to begin with. Looks like some new products and tools are coming though.

Advice to Management

Invest in innovation outside of the OS.

7. SUSE: Great People, Great Customer Support and Satisfaction

I have been working at SUSE full-time

Pros

SUSE has amazing people that put the customer at the highest priority, as should be done. Anyone using, or considering an Enterprise Linux distributor owes it to themselves to look strongly at SUSE.

Cons

The Operating System does not drive the sale, and is the tail wagging the dog. Blackberry and Windows devices don't sell as much as Android and iOS based phones, why? The OS? No, silly ... the applications available to make them more useful.

Advice to Management

SUSE could potentially be in an even better position if there was more focus on the application providers, and bringing joint offerings to market.

Very smart people but not enough resources to get the job done in most efficient way.

Pros

Now private, SUSE is more nimble and responsive to customers and market trends.

Cons

Understaffed, especially in Support and Engineering.

9. Fantastic culture

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at SUSE part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- One of the most experienced Free/Open Source Software companies in the world (>22 years) - Meritocratic culture where everyone's ideas are valued - Emphasis on technical excellence - Management chain is transparent, accessible, and not too deep - Superb product portfolio - Company currently exhibiting healthy growth

Cons

SUSE culture is often a bit too reticent to announce accomplishments, so certain areas of the market are not as aware of SUSE products/services as they should be.

10. Just a wonderful place to work

Pros

Perharps the biggest opensource proponent n Europe. Regular Hackweeks, where you can work on anything you want. Flexible working hours. Wonderful colleagues. No German language required.

Cons

Overcomplicated chain of management — SUSE together with Novell belong to Attachmate which belongs to Microfocus... Sometimes decisions just take too long.

11. Project Manager

I have been working at SUSE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best place to learn the open source world, strongly supported by management to take part in community.

Cons

Company seems preservative to invest in-advance until there is a clear view in the Market but it then mean that we will 1 or 2 steps behind our competitor.

Advice to Management

I would like to advise the management to invest more development and open source project to lead the Market

RSS Feed </> Embed