SW Florida Water Management District

SW Florida Water Management District Reviews

Updated May 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Working at the Southwest Florida Water Management District was a great learning Experience.

Unified Communications Engineer (Former Employee) Brooksville, FL

ProsOpen exchange of information was excellent and this was encouraged by Management. Opportunities for training were good and encouraged also. Management has an open door policy which is a real open door policy you can use anytime. This includes all management in each department. If given the opportunity I would be glad to work there again!!

ConsIssues with restructuring due to the economy. The economy seems to have stabilized and positions are stable.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat Job, keep it up!!

Poor management, selective rules apply

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Brooksville, FL

Prosdecent pay for this area

ConsPoor management. People are promoted for who they know in more cases than what they know. Smoozing and wasting time on non work related chatter will get you promoted faster than knowing what you are doing. There are some smart individuals there but a large amount of management without a clue of what their group does will make you dislike your position depending on what group you are in. Once management no longer 'favors' you, they selectively apply written district quidelines to their advantage to try to force you out. Several good employees were let go a few years and they are just now trying to rebuild a destroyed company morale, but leftover management that should have been removed still exists and gets reinforced by their 'friends' in other postions of management. looking forward to departure to a job where coworkers anbd departments actually work WITH each other instead of playing political games.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow your own rules and guidelines. Stop applying special rules as you see fit. Hire management that can actually manage.

What was once a great place to work, has become a neutral employer with little room for career advancement.

ProsThe nature of this government agency promotes exposure to a broad range of IT technology. Great hands on experience and support from management to learn new things. Education reimbursement and company paid training are wonderful incentives.

ConsNo career path for employees. No pay raises in over 5 years. Daily work can be consumed with non IT related job duties (Time tracking, time allocation, work order system, Change Management).

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the amount of non IT related administrative work. Define career paths and pay incentives. These things are important to your employees. Overall, Management keeps a positive attitude with promise of change.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The job was a lot of just keeping track of paperwork. I am an engineer, but didn't do much engineering.

Student Intern (Former Employee) Sarasota, FL

ProsThe people are all very kind, and everyone is able to work together well. I liked the friendly atmosphere of the workplace.

ConsThe job can get very repetitive. I was very bored after a while because I was just sitting at a desk staring a computer screens.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's not really much advice to give, because this is a government agency and they have a specific job to complete.

Troubled workplace because of changes due to economy and political decisions.

Accountant I (Former Employee) Brooksville, FL

ProsCo-workers are the people you want on your team!! The best of the best work at the District.

ConsEconomic induced layoffs; with more to come.

Sr. Land Use Specialist

Senior Land Use Specialist (Current Employee) Brooksville, FL

ProsExcellent pay for the area

ConsThe worst "good old boy" employer. Rules apply to some but not the same to others. At one time this was a great place to work that made a real difference in water management, now the system seems so corrupt. If you question the system or how the funds are being spent, you are labeled a trouble maker and they will find a way to be rid of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are trying to clean things up. They lost allot of good employees in the voluntary leave program. Good luck to the dedicated employees left to manage the District with some ethics.

Beware

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Brooksville, FL

ProsHealth and other benefits are decent. Leave policies are good.

ConsSince 2004, SWFWMD is run for the financial benefit of top managment. They could care less about the environment or the employees of the organization. It used to be a great place to work and was peopled by dedicated employees. No more.

Not a good place to be right now

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Brooksville, FL

ProsIf you can make it past the downsizing, the benefits have always been pretty good. Health, dental, and vision insurance plans are good. What's left of the Florida Retirement System pension plan benefit is still a pretty good deal if you make it past the 8 year vesting period.

ConsState budget cuts, governing board politics, and looming layoffs are contributing to the worst morale ever seen there. And it's only expected to get worse as the Florida Govenor continues to slash budgets and methodically dismantle the water management districts even further. The sense of purpose that once was felt working there is no longer as the good, talented, and dedicated people are either being laid off or are leaving for more lucrative and stable positions elsewhere. Salaries there continue to lag 20%-25% BELOW comparable private sector market. There have been no salary raises in the past three years, and no raises are expected for at least the next two years.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your human capital. Treat them with respect, especially in these tough times there. Make sure you have right leadership talent in management positions -- not all managers are effective leaders.

if you want to work in an environment of group think and intolerance of science that challenges politics....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLittle left to respect in this agency - benefits include good health insurance, tuition reimbursement, higher salary than most state agencies. Campus is nice. Internal workings in chaos.P

ConsStaff demoralized after series of layoffs of highly qualified people, many politically motivated. More layoffs pending. Staff paralyzed by fear, and after laying off leaders who had good knowledge and history of agency, processes and evaluations that have already been done in past are being duplicated for no reason. Management is clueless. Findings of an organizational evaluation done in 2011 that found poor leadership and high tolerance
    of incompetancies were ignored. Instead, the heavy lifters were fired and low performers were retained, or even rewarded with promotions. Sad to see an organization once of the highest caliber reduced to ashes.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone - those that were of any value were fired, and only "yes" people with little originality were retained in high positions. The ED and his "cabinet" and advisors should be dismissed, as should Governing Board who allowed the dismissal of some of the most dedicated and highest performing employees through a "voluntary seperation program" - which was not voluntary or "performance-based".

Worked for SW Florida Water Management District? Contribute to the Community!