www.swbc.com

SWBC Reviews

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014

CEO

Great company to work for, best mortgage company I have found in the industry.

Current Employee - Loan Officer in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in Vienna, VA

I have been working at SWBC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay, 125 bps. Amazing benefits, HC cost me $0 a month. Wonderful team and process, very organized and efficient.

Cons

System could be improved, slow, out dated. Lead generation was non-existent.

Need to establish more relationships in order to offer better/more specialized programs with incentives such as grants for borrowers who meet certain criteria.

Poor management.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at SWBC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits were great. They pay for your medical and dental which is nice. Holiday pay is nice. Hour lunches are cool

Cons

Never anytime off. HR is a nightmare. Be prepared to have someone micromanaging everything you do. Business attire is horrible in a call center. Parking sucks.

Remember that everyone has a personal life. And not everyone has fancy cars and nice homes.

Liars

Former Employee - Head Quarters in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Head Quarters in San Antonio, TX

I worked at SWBC

Pros

Time off when you need it. Yeah right. They lie to their employees.

Cons

If you take the time they allow, then you violate the attendance policy. No warning. Termination on the spot. I was fired after emergency surgery. Tricky company

Follow through with fmla policy. Offer warnings before terminating an employee.

Frustrating, demoralizing, mystifying

I have been working at SWBC

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay for some types of positions, discounts for things like MS Office for home, home security systems, gym membership reimbursements, near stuff like that.

Cons

I work in the Oregon satellite office which had been 2 self-contained companies which SWBC acquired. The atmosphere is... strange. It was 2 small companies that suddenly went corporate, with a lot of silly rules which may fit for San Antonio, Texas, SWBC's HQ, but really not a normal fit here especially with the "keep Portland weird" and laid-back sort of mindset here.

SWBC is the most personally invasive company I've ever worked for. Hundreds and hundreds of pages of company policies you have to sign off on, and you have to sign many times that you understand you can be fired at any time for any reason, or for no reason. Very controlling policies, sometimes to the point of being laughable. Strict dress codes based mostly on time of year, no eating at your desk, heavy restrictions on what personal items you can have on your desk and walls, no using company equipment for any personal email or anything else personal, no social media use (but then they send out emails telling you to "Like" something on Facebook for the company or something that's personal for one of the higher managers), no use of any thumb drives or the like, no storing of any type of personal files on your computer or of course the network.

Sometimes a higher-up sends an email (or 6, just so you don't forget) asking everyone to support a cause that's important to them or their friend, there is a lot of pressure to donate to the United Way, "suggestions" on political candidates to vote for, with unsubstantiated claims made against the opposing party's policy and legislation and allegedly ridiculously huge (but no one will discuss it with you or show any evidence) resultant financial cost to the company. One of the company policies you have to sign off on is, no soliciting via email or other means, for help with any kind of *anything* personal - so our yearly food drive had to stop, but the things mentioned above and more continue from HQ.

Managers have to spend a lot of time on endless administrative tasks that come down from Corp HQ. It's often impossible to get a phone call returned or email reply from the large HR dept, middle and upper-middle mgmt show no interest in the employees and lower mgmt who are the ones doing all the work. In more than ten years I haven't ever gotten a pat on the back or "good job" even though my performance reviews are great. Since being acquired by SWBC, only one time did our visiting mgr say hello to me, and that was because I went up to him to say hello.

Local mgmt in the Oregon satellite ofc has little to no formal or real-world knowledge about successfully managing employees or workload, so they ignore problems with the work until things become an emergency. They didn't think they had to worry about it when we were just 2 small companies coming up with things as we went along, so they didn't pursue gaining that important knowledge. I can't figure out what their priorities are other than their own needs, but employees and doing good work sure aren't high on the list. Don't let them know if you're trying to do your work really well, unless you don't mind being criticized for it both privately and publicly in meetings, eyerolls and all. It's a strange place to work.

I can't think of a single reason to spend my time and energy on this item. They aren't interested in improving.

Learning experience

Former Employee - Payment Services Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Payment Services Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at SWBC part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility in scheduling, especially in regards to time off. The opportunity to grow (within the department) was available if desired. For me, I learned how to deal with customers, but also various management types.

Cons

MANAGERS! Every negative type of manager worked there while I was there; it was especially awful dealing with micro-managers every day. While I worked in that specific department, we had moved to a different location, and after I left I heard they had moved again. That's hard on employees. I believe their turnover rate can come from this, along with the micro-managers.

Lack of Leadership

I worked at SWBC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Financially strong parent co. Ownership seems to have strategic vision and sound judgment.

Cons

CEO and husband say all the right things but never follow through with there constant promises to the branches. It is obvious the EVPs do extremely well financially while the rest of the employees bear the brundt of the work. Employees take constant bashings yet carry all the weight. EVPs are unresponsive and never around. CEO is erratic and moody and everyone walks on egg shells. Very lacking of vision and planning to achieve goals. Manages by fire and constant crisis management. Best Company to Work For is definately a "paid advertisement".

Need to sincerely care about the welfare of employees and compensate and promote for effort and not for favoritism. Stop just giving lip service to promises without following through.

experience working here

Current Employee - Process Developer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Process Developer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at SWBC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None really... typical call center, but more lame than most - way behind the curve.

Cons

SWBC (Sisters, Wives, Brothers, & Cousins)... Called this for a reason.. Nepotism abounds - Getting promoted is by who you know. Micro-managers abound, they give no bonuses, management plays favorites and politics. If your job role is for an exempt position - you can expect to do the work of at least three people and work 70+ hours per week.

good luck.

Company is OK but the IT department had some issues at the time

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at SWBC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has decent benefits overall and they have a nice profit sharing plan. There were a lot of nice and helpful coworkers. The owners are active in the community and seem to really care about their employees.

Cons

The way the company was set up it was really hard to get a handle on the main thing that SWBC actually did as a company. At times it seemed like the company was a jumble of unrelated products. The company did not seem to have a clear expectation of what the IT department should actually do. IT employees in the past have been dismissed for essentially doing what they were told to do. IT employees in the past have been told in so many words that they can be replaced. The company adheres to a traditional business dress code 3 days a week for six months out of the year.

Develop a strategy that makes it easier to explain how SWBC makes money. Try to be more transparent about the company's financial situation. Make managers develop realistic plans and hold them, not employees, accountable if corners are cut or controls short circuited.

n/a..............................................................................................

I have been working at SWBC full-time

Pros

good company to work for.

Cons

nothing so far comes to mind

pretty good until they started to grow

Current Employee - Mortgage in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Mortgage in Austin, TX

I have been working at SWBC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great flexability in schedules personal vs work

Cons

Very little opprotunity to move up in the company, no parking for employees, grown way to fast and never looked back to see what they have lost in respect to valuable people.

Owners are great guys but polititians, who are out for them selves and upper managment for the most part. They cut a bunch of long term employees compensation and then management went and bought fancy cars and take lavish vacations, which didn't settle very well in the work place.

SWBC Photos