SWC Technology Partners

Bob Knott

Greeeaatt

Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at SWC Technology Partners full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat work environment, great people, team environment, good incentives, lots of outside activities like christmas party, summer party, beers on friday, overall just a good place to work and grow. Lots of room for moving up in the company for those who are patient. Give employees a number of different roles on different projects to keep work interesting.

ConsIts hard for management to juggle all expectations of all employees, they need to continue to tune into what they people are thinking and communicate to them more what their plans are. They do a pretty good job of it but sometimes its hard for all employees to see this.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Your employees appreciate being able to see into the company and know that you are listening to their concerns. Continue to drive that home.

It is who you align with not how hard you work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SWC Technology Partners full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFree Soda, juice, coffee and candy. Leftover food is often brought in from events. Many employees are very nice.

ConsYou have to align yourself and being liked by the right people. If you are not, the work you do go unnoticed. If you make an enemy of someone in the company, they will harass you and make management believe the worst about you, even if it is not at all true.

New Consultants are often put on projects that are above their skill set. This way, the training is at the customer's expense. Projects routinely go over budgets and the project managers or Engagement Managers have to step in and appease the customer.

Management does not share any information and the different businesses within the company do not share information among each other. You often find out things are changed when you try to do something and it no longer works. Bonuses or increases are promised for you to get the job done but not delivered.

There is no confidentiality with HR who is overly friendly with several employees who work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementRun this company like it is a company, not by who you like or don't like personally. Give people credit for the work that they do. Communicate better with your employees. Treat everyone the same and stop showing favoritism. Grow up.

Used to be a GREAT place to work......

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at SWC Technology Partners full-time

Pros-Team outings
-Pay for Certifications
-Provides beverages and food often
-Always at the forefront of technology
-Lots of opportunities to grow technically
-Salary is average

ConsNo 401K matching
-Managed Services management push for the advancement of specific people while everyone else sits idle.
-Communication between management and consultants is very poor and usually comes after the fact. This has long been a problem. It seems that there is a "need to know" rule here and usually that rule doesn't apply to those who need to know, the consultants or Account Leads.
-Pay is lower than industry standard. Even with high end certifications, they are not rewarded unless you are in the group of those that they want to see move up quickly.
-Blackballing occurs if you provide any type of push back to a newly promoted member of management. At that point, several consultants have left the company because of this practice.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile this is a launching pad for Consultants, provide benefits to keep your current employees. Bagels and Donuts are great, but bonuses and 401K matching will keep people around. Keep boasting about the financial success that we have had over the years, but share some of that success. It seems that someone is getting rich while the workers(as it always is) stay stagnant.
Senior management, please look at the lower levels of management and see how they manage their people. They excel at processes but the reoccurring theme is that they dont talk to people in a professional manner.

Programmer (Former Employee)

I worked at SWC Technology Partners full-time for more than a year

ProsPay is competitive. Nice people. Pleasant. Corporate bonding activities. I thought it cliquish, but they try with bonding activities.

ConsThe focus on driving the bottom line is a detriment to clients. Clients are getting used by inexperienced personnel learning on their dime. Non-technical executive management lacks skill set for building solid IT company.

This place is not for everyone...

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at SWC Technology Partners full-time for less than a year

ProsPerks – Free soda and alcoholic drinks, Free food and fruits every week, Frequent luncheon meetings, Free massage, Free professionally taken photos, Many activities and events to promote work and life balance. It’s a work-hard, play-hard culture.

Overtime Incentives for Consultants – Though they tend to set your base lower than what you ask for, you get overtime pay for billable work. There is a catch, however. You need to work at least 8 billable hours a day to start counting overage. Also unless you are a principle consultant, it’s extremely difficult to put more than 10 billable hours a day because you will get run out of (billable) work and wait for more work.

ConsPoor Development Practice – They have neither QA nor UI experts. After coding, a few developers start poking around the application. No documentation or no automated procedures exist. Testers often correct problems by themselves without reporting or sending back to the developers. They do use source control, but everyone tends to make changes at random without communicating well. They virtually have no versioning control, no refactoring/optimization practices. Databases are wide open to everyone when most developers are not database experts. Details and changes are often communicated verbally if not by email, and developers waste their time on going back and redo a lot of things. This is what they call agile and normal in the consulting world.

Generation Gap – With their recent rapid growth, you see a lot of incompetent old timers in key positions. New hires, on the other hand, are very bright people in that their talent, experience, skills, and professionalism are far superior. A real challenge lies because many old timers have become maintenance experts who don’t share information. Good ones get tired and leave, and the problem gets even worse.

Just Get it Done (Fast) and Move On – Quantity over quality. You don’t see any quality in their work. They just make it work. No everyone wants to follow this business practice.
Poorly-designed Internal Framework and Tools (.NET) – One guy virtually owns and maintains them. Because maintenance and enhancement are not billable work, little or no improvement has been made for many years. Contrary to what they claim, the style is a lot more procedural than object-oriented, and Reflection is used everywhere even if strong typing is preferred or possible. There are many C-style, static methods with “out” and misused “ref” keywords. Magic numbers and strings are scattered all over. Type names are very confusing because they tend to create their own versions with no inheritance. Over-commenting seems more important than producing easy-to-follow code that requires very little commenting. Last but not least, the code runs extremely slow.

Favoritism – It’s not uncommon, but they make it very obvious here. Make friends with managers and principles, and you will be more recognized. If you speak up too much, they stop listening to you and find every way possible to criticize your work and your professionalism. Soon they start treating you like you don’t exist by not being responded by email, not getting billable work, and not having anyone show up in meetings you schedule. Worst of all, the top managers only listen to old timers and principles and believe their stories despite their open door policy. After all, they still have a small company mentality. It’s important to be either buddy-buddy or obedient.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the salary structure because no one wants to do non-billable work. Focus more on improving the development process by using feedback from both happy and unhappy employees at all levels and external consultants. We all know you are aware that changes need to be made, but it’s not going to get you anywhere to keep incompetent principle consultants busy with their billable work and other consultants who quietly follow them because they are afraid of being forced out of the team. The current structure is also geared more toward doing more work than doing quality work.

Make project leaders and team leads share and document more information about task details. Changes are fine as long as they are well-managed, but it’s not acceptable to have to follow up verbally or by email in order to complete requirements.

No work life balance at all. Expect to work 50-70 hours a week.

I have been working at SWC Technology Partners full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of little perks like free soda and beer on Fridays. Have a lot of outings in the past but most are on weekends and why would you want to spend even more time with the people you work with?

ConsMiddle management is trying to make a name for themselves on the backs of the lower employees and have zero respect for people. There are many people considering leaving as this all started with the promotion of one person. Too bad as this used to be a great place to work, now certain managers seem to have become greedy at the cost of the culture that built the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to have more respect for your employees.

Work hard and then more...

Associate Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at SWC Technology Partners full-time for more than a year

ProsEmployees are very friendly. Every department seems to have happy employees who attend employee outings except for managed services.

ConsNo work/life balance if you belong to Managed Services. People in network operations seem to be ok, but people in the service desk seem to always be under stress and really busy. For an added bonus, there is a pager rotation that will get the best out of you over the weekend.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement in managed services has no consideration for employees and is very aggressive towards the bottom line. This either needs to change, or more people will keep leaving just like they are now.

I can see myself staying here a long time...

I have been working at SWC Technology Partners

ProsYou have an opportunity here to be exposed to a lot of different technologies and user environments. The company has grown rapidly since I started a few years ago and the management seems to really drive and reinforce that growth. I’ve never heard of the company doing any type of layoffs. There is a lot of focus on Team Work. Management likes to reward employees by organizing a lot of fun expensive outing and get together. We have happy hour every Friday with Bags and Beverages.

ConsAlthough there is a huge emphasis on work-life balance, you will be busy the whole time you are at work. Right now we are a little cramped because of the growth we have been experiencing. The new office space is still under construction.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs we grow, stay in tune with what employees needs are. I like the fact that the company is forthcoming with financial data and performance.

Knowledgeable Staff

Marketing Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at SWC Technology Partners

ProsEveryone knows what they are doing. Know their IT very well. Everyone is helpful if you have a question. Super friendly environment.

ConsVery quiet and no one really talks to eachother. Pay is descent but not great by all means. I wish people said hello and by especially the ones that sit by you.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe different management groups controdict themselves. The higher management didn't really acknowledge me unless I had something good for them. Really nice people though.

Growing company with growing opportunities..

I have been working at SWC Technology Partners

ProsSWC is a great place to work. I have felt respected since the day I started at SWC, and I feel like all my ideas are taken into consideration. If you show ambition in this company, you will be rewarded with new career advancing opportunities and more challenging responsibility, which is what I love about working here.

ConsIf you expect things to be handed to you, this is not the company to work for. This company is meant for people who are excited to grow and are ready to take on what needs to be done to be successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne of the best things about SWC is management's ongoing efforts to build relationships with all of the employees. As we grow, continue focusing on that and I believe we will always be successful!

Worked for SWC Technology Partners? Contribute to the Community!

SWC Technology Partners Videos

SWC Technology Partners – Why Work for Us?

OUR COMPANY SWC Technology Partners is an award-winning provider of IT solutions to midsize organizations. For more than 30 years, SWC has excelled at delivering technology solutions that optimize productivity… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SWC Technology Partners reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SWC Technology Partners CEO Bob Knott. All 31 reviews posted anonymously by SWC Technology Partners employees.