SWC Technology Partners Reviews

Updated April 7, 2015
43 reviews filtered by
4.5
Bob Knott

Great team culture and growth opportunity!

I worked at SWC Technology Partners

Pros

- Excellent team culture! Company outings, wellness program, social Fridays, catered food, etc.
    - Work hard/play hard environment that encourages growth and opportunity if you are dedicated and willing to learn.
    - Tons of exposure to various technologies.
    - The Managed Services and Infrastructure teams have extremely talented engineers that are always willing to mentor, shadow, and provide learning opportunities.
    - Although the organization has significantly grown over the past few years, it still manages to be a cohesive organization (no small office antics, gossip, etc.)
    - Career advisors and management that cares about each employees goals, aspirations and overall success.
    - Well organized cohesive organization.
    - Work/life balance is excellent for an IT organization. We all know IT comes with a few long nights, cutovers, fires, etc. but comp time is encouraged.

Cons

- No 401K match
    - No tuition reimbursement however they do encourage and pay for Certifications
    - You learn to get sick of Maggianos and other various Oakbrook restaurants after the first few months...
    - For an organization that focuses on Mid-Market Chicagoland business, I'm surprised they don't have a downtown Chicago office

Advice to Management

- Keep up the good work. I can imagine its hard growing a business while keeping the same culture of a small organization.

2. Great Work Environment and Place to Grow in Managed Services - Employees are Empowered to Make a Difference

Current Employee - Consultant in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at SWC Technology Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salaries
    Comp and Flex time
    Not called while on vacation - encouraged to disconnect
    Excellent culture and teamwork
    Room to grow - career advisors help you
    Performance reviews and customized growth plans
    Middle management cares about the success and work satisfaction of each teammate
    Knowledge sharing
    Friendly and high performing teams which give great customer service internally and externally (teammates share similar values)
    Training and Exam Reimbursement
    Each person is empowered to make a difference and help the department/organization achieve goals
    Team and Company outings

Cons

Long hours on occasion - which comes with being in the IT field
    No tuition reimbursement or 401K (but salaries are very competitive and bonuses for achievements)

Advice to Management

Continue recognizing your employees and listening to our suggestions. It is nice to see our suggestions are valued and quickly implemented. Seeing how it makes a positive and immediate impact to the customers/team/department/company helps encourage us to be innovative. It is also nice to work with other high performing teammates. It makes a difference in our individual and team success! Thank you for caring!

3. Great coworker focus, great work life balance, great perks

Current Employee - Illinois in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Illinois in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at SWC Technology Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome work environment/culture with a very cohesive team setting. Very fair compensation including bonuses, benefits, and incentives with an excellent work-life balance. Growing company, which is awesome in the Chicago market. Great upper and middle management team who truly care about their employees; focused on bringing in talented people and helping them grow. Tons of opportunity for both knowledge & career growth. Great brand; well recognized in the area.

Perks: Extravagant holiday party with hotel package, a fridge constantly stocked with free pop and craft beer (on Fridays), casual dress on Fridays (jeans), constant free food, annual golf outing, health and wellness team, free in-building gym access, work with the latest technologies & fun team outings....just to name a few.

Cons

The absolute only con is that there is no-matching 401k. Other than that, it is the type of place anyone can make a life-long career at.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees & doing what you're doing.

5. Great Opportunities

I have been working at SWC Technology Partners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance, employee perks and motivation. Opportunities are available for those that work hard and demonstrate their abilities. Rewarded through strong work ethic and consistency of quality performance. I have been with the company 5+ yrs and can't get over the fact of the learning and growing environment from top down! Work hard, play harder as we collaborate across teams and strive for customer service internally and externally. Awesome benefits!

Cons

As a growing company, still navigating and building structure. Evolving business sector is a great for anyone up for the challenge :)

Advice to Management

Keep providing the quality leadership and recognizing those that give their all. It's great to know you give back to your employees and truly appreciate what each individual contributes, as we all grow and learn together!

6. Nice place to work

I have been working at SWC Technology Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Independence to drive most tasks
    - Opportunity to learn new things
    - Nice people to work with
    - Flex time
    - Fun environment with various employee activities

Cons

- No 401(k) match
    - No tuition reimbursement

High stress and intimidating environment

Former Employee - Consultant in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at SWC Technology Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you don't mind working long hours and acquiring certification on your own time, you can eventually advance your career here
    Exposure to many different technologies
    Well-recognized company, a couple years here should make finding a new job rather easy
    Team outings and Beer on Friday @ 4pm, and you can learn to hate leftover Maggiano's from banquets
    A lot of smart and driven people, most of whom are friendly
    The CEO seems pretty nice and the overall culture is decent

Cons

For a company that promotes work-life balance, there definitely did not seem to be a lot of it Managed Services
    Hiring standards are very high and pay does not necessarily reflect this. This leads to understaffing, which means employees are expected to work long hours and often get burnt out
    Due to this inability or unwillingness to hire more staff, off-hours positions are very hard to leave
    The NOC is rather chaotic and the monitoring software is buggy and difficult to work with, creating a high level of stress and repetitive and unappreciated tasks
    New clients are often on-boarded without proper coverage or preparation, furthering the whole mess
    Despite all this, perfection is expected at all times and you will hear about each and every mistake
    Middle management can often lead by intimidation and encourages non-use of comp time
    Inappropriate and rude comments and finger-pointing which got progressively worse over time.
    Employees seen as underperformers are quickly fired or managed out of the company. Some may see this as a pro.
    No 401K match

Advice to Management

Upper management, be aware that middle management is scaring away past, present and potential future employees.
    Offer 401K matching to help even the playing field and let your young, entry-level employees start planning for their future.
    Show as much concern for your employees as for your own careers and remember that they're human.
    Make sure that work-life balance isn't just a thing you say to lure in new hires, but actually practiced.

Marketing Intern

I have been working at SWC Technology Partners

Pros

Wonderful company to work for. Amazing people and environment.

Cons

I have no cons for this company!

Invests in employees,

I have been working at SWC Technology Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my past places of employment, I was used to being one of the more focused and hard-working people on my team. At SWC, everyone around me is at the top of their game, passionate about what they do and driven to grow. At the same time, I've personally seen nothing but open collaboration and people who genuinely like sharing ideas and info with others. Fun environment, good people, lots of growth opps.

Cons

No 401(k) match yet, as has been said.

Advice to Management

Keep open communication with your teams, it's refreshing from my past experiences. Meeting with Team Leads and managers to set tangible career path goals has been awesome. The company is in a growth mode and I really feel there is opportunity for me to grow for the long-term.

Stressful, yet immensely satisfying

Former Employee - Consultant in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at SWC Technology Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for personal growth and skill development are plentiful. A majority of a consultant's time will be spent becoming experienced in technologies they already know very well, but a significant minority is also spent learning new things. If you have a main passion but also like to branch out into other exciting technologies, SWC is a great place to work. Also, the team at SWC works hard together AND plays hard together, making it an engaging place to work.

Cons

As is the nature of the business, consulting can be extremely stressful. As such, it is not a job for everybody. After 4 years, I was feeling burned out and in need of a change to a much less stressful environment. Also, opportunities for advancement, in some cases, tend to feel more tied to favoritism rather than the individual's merit.

Advice to Management

Continue with all of the company perks, employee gatherings, and other fun events. I enjoyed my time at SWC very much. SWC is on the right track to continue its success for many years to come.

Amazing company to work for! If only they matched 401k!!

I have been working at SWC Technology Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management generally cares about their employee's career path. The president, VPs, project managers, etc all openly seek feedback from their employees. This is a place where you are truly given the opportunity to develop your skills.

Cons

No 401K match. This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed. Several employees (including shareholders) constantly request 401K match, but we've yet to see any plan for a change.

Advice to Management

If you want to have long term employees you need to start matching 401K.

SWC Technology Partners Photos